01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Having trouble finding a cost-effective system with mains-powered outdoor wireless cameras?

xbrewmaker

There seem to be similar threads, but with no replies.

I have a small house, where I'd like to set up 3 cameras. I can't seem to find a product that meets all my requirements. Can you help?

* Outdoor cameras
* Wired (not PoE, but normal mains electric)
* wifi to an nvr/dvr.
* specifically don't want batteries or SD card storage. Nor pay extra for cloud storage.
* decent Android app for remote viewing.
* spot lighting on camera a plus.

* last requirement ... reasonably priced.

This seems like a reasonable list, but I can't find anything that ticks all the boxes.

Thanks.

Hi @xbrewmaker

The reason there are probably very few responses to requests for cameras with these specs is that there really aren't that many options available.

None of the professional brands we sell offer WiFi cameras with these features and the few WiFi models that are available would be quite expensive.

With these spec requirements you would be better off looking at a consumer brand like Swann, TP-Link, Arlo, etc... as they are more likely to offer a larger range of WiFi options for lower prices.

Reolink?
Ubiqiti?
EzViz?
Lmou?
IDK whether any tick all the boxes :(

Reactions: Dan
I do have a Hikvision Mini dome (DS-2CD2525FWD-IWS) setup over Wifi - its locally powered (via a POE plug) and then wifi to the NVR

The NVR is connected to a Ubiquiti managed WiFi network, and one of the wireless access points is setup outside, and the camera connects to this - its works ok for its purpose.

You'd need very good wifi in all areas to get a decent image and a decent resolution. Strongly suggest that you look to wired if at all possible.

Is there something stopping you from putting in network cables?

You mention that the cameras could be powered by mains, so the install point may be close to a power outlet? Maybe you could use power line adapters (ethernet over mains power cables) for the data?

Back