01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Headlights and motion detection - how can I reduce the number of motion events at night?

350calais

Hi guys,

I have a DS-2CD2387G2-LU 4mm camera at the front of the house, I have motion, car & human detection enabled, it doesn't pick up the cars parking in the driveway but it's not a big deal, I am getting heaps of events at nights from headlights coming around the roundabout in the top centre of the photo, during the day it's perfect, I tried the privacy mask but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas on how to cut out all the motion events at night?
Image-1.jpg

Hi @350calais

Motion Detection is a basic event and can be a bit of a blunt tool that even with Human/Vehicle filtering enabled can still be prone to false triggers.

Have you tried using Smart Events instead? Try an Intrusion Detection box covering the whole driveway and/or a Line Crossing line drawn across the entrance to the drive and see if you get fewer false triggers from the headlights.

To be honest on the latest firmware I'm seeing more issues with headlights and reflections/shadows causing false alerts on Line Crossing than motion detection. I installed a system just before new year and had to turn off line crossing on a camera because it was plagued with false alerts during the rain; almost as if the Human filter was ignored (2347G2H on previous build of 5.7.14). That's a pain as I prefer to cover with both both motion detection AND line crossing. Motion detection covering Human covering a wider area outside the property set to Human with notifications off. That allows anything to be found quickly using the Human filter. Line crossing I use on the drive itself setup to provide the notification.

You've already got the sensitivity on 20 which is what I'd usually use. I'd maybe turn off vehicle. Unless you have a self driving car, when it arrives or departs from your drive a Human gets out of or into it and will still provide the alert. (I know you shouldn't need to disable that but try it first)

Thanks for that, I’ll turn off motion and try intrusion detection and untick car, as most nights a car will be parked in the driveway.

Thanks for that, I’ll turn off motion and try intrusion detection and untick car, as most nights a car will be parked in the driveway.
I’d first just keep it as motion and untick Vehicle to see how that works.

Back