01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision camera no playback / not recording longer than 24hours?

jesssica

Hi all,

I have a Hikvision set up at home.

It is a iDS-7208HQHI-K1-4S

There are 8 cameras.

Up until recently we have recordings stored / playback for at least a month now we are only getting recording / playback for 24 hrs.

HDD capacity is 1863GB

Free Quota Space 1863GB

I have logged in through a web browser and overwriting is activated.

Any idea why we can no longer view playback and why our cameras aren’t recording properly anymore?

I have to go in to the settings each night to init the set up to free up space.

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a Hikvision set up at home.

It is a iDS-7208HQHI-K1-4S

There are 8 cameras.

Up until recently we have recordings stored / playback for at least a month now we are only getting recording / playback for 24 hrs.

HDD capacity is 1863GB

Free Quota Space 1863GB

I have logged in through a web browser and overwriting is activated.

Any idea why we can no longer view playback and why our cameras aren’t recording properly anymore?

I have to go in to the settings each night to init the set up to free up space.

Thanks
Either the hard disk is faulty (you can run a test on it in the DVR menu or in the browser), or the recording has been set to overwrite after 1 day. In the browser if you go to Storage > Schedule Settings then click the 'Advanced' button, the pop up will show 'Expired Time' or similar as the last option. It should be set to 0 in order for recordings to be retained as long as the disk has space. Check that setting is 0 for each individual camera.

With a 2TB hard disk and 8 cameras, I wouldn't expect to get a month or more of stored recordings. On H265+ recording 12FPS the storage calculator shows 28 days with a fairly low bitrate, Has anything else changed? Have you changed from event recording to 24/7 or anything else that would affect the storage.

After you initialise the drive, check what the free space shows, it should be roughly the usable space on the drive (1863GB). Then go back to the same page later and see how fast that free space is being used.

Last edited:
Either the hard disk is faulty (you can run a test on it in the DVR menu or in the browser), or the recording has been set to overwrite after 1 day. In the browser if you go to Storage > Schedule Settings then click the 'Advanced' button, the pop up will show 'Expired Time' or similar as the last option. It should be set to 0 in order for recordings to be retained as long as the disk has space. Check that setting is 0 for each individual camera.

With a 2TB hard disk and 8 cameras, I wouldn't expect to get a month or more of stored recordings. On H265+ recording 12FPS the storage calculator shows 28 days with a fairly low bitrate, Has anything else changed? Have you changed from event recording to 24/7 or anything else that would affect the storage.

After you initialise the drive, check what the free space shows, it should be roughly the usable space on the drive (1863GB). Then go back to the same page later and see how fast that free space is being used.
Thanks JB.
So I've checked the setting and it was set to 0.

I changed the setting to event but when I check now it's on continuous.

I init the storage last night and this morning there is no storage space.

Where do I check the hvr for faults?
Will I reboot the device?
Restore all parameters?

I am thinking its a dvr problem.

At my dad's house he has the same set up and never a problem, playback can be viewed for a month.

Thanks

Thanks JB.
So I've checked the setting and it was set to 0.

I changed the setting to event but when I check now it's on continuous.

I init the storage last night and this morning there is no storage space.

Where do I check the hvr for faults?
Will I reboot the device?
Restore all parameters?

I am thinking its a dvr problem.

At my dad's house he has the same set up and never a problem, playback can be viewed for a month.

Thanks
I'm not aware of any fault that would cause a DVR to fill a drive that quickly. We've ruled out the timed expiry (assuming you checked that for all cameras). The only thing that would cause a DVR to consume the hard disk more quickly is if it were badly configured. As I mentioned with continuous recording you will not get 28 days plus unless you're using a very low frame rate. Post the details from the recording parameters page - I can only guess that the DVR is set to record at too high a bitrate and it's eating up the space quickly.

Back