01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2 firmware?

Hi I am new to this forum.
I have a Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2 / 8P/A- NVR running firmware version V3.4.0 build 151103 which is straight out of the box 2015 year.
I have clicked on the update icon next to the firmware version but it says its already running the latest firmware.
I have checked online and I think there's several updates released in the later years up to 2019 year (below link)

I was wondering can I update this from the 2015 version straight to the 2019 version or do I update one by one each version upwards?
Iv never done an NVR update before so worried if I should bother in updating it or not as I don't want to brick it.
If I do go ahead and update it do I leave everything connected to it like cameras, ethernet cable to modem etc or to I unplug and update via ethernet cable directly to laptop in the NVR?

Thank you for your help and time!

I was wondering can I update this from the 2015 version straight to the 2019 version or do I update one by one each version upwards?
Iv never done an NVR update before so worried if I should bother in updating it or not as I don't want to brick it.
As the newest version is also a 3.4.x release you should be fine upgrading directly to the latest. If the newer release was a 3.6.x the usual advice would be to install the latest .4, then a .5, the first .6 then the latest.
If I do go ahead and update it do I leave everything connected to it like cameras, ethernet cable to modem etc or to I unplug and update via ethernet cable directly to laptop in the NVR?
Everything can stay connected:
  • Download the update to your laptop and unzip (if it doesn't automatically). You'll have a file named 'digicap.dav'
  • Connect to your NVR in a browser window and go to Configuration > System > Maintenance
  • At the bottom of the page beneath 'Upgrade' click the browse button and browse to the 'digicap.dav' file and select it. Occasionally it doesn't appear when selected, so if does that just browse and select it again.
  • Click 'upgrade'. The progress of the file upload will be shown and then the NVR will reboot.
If you struggle to get the browse button to bring up the pop up showing your laptop directories, try another browser or run edge in internet explorer mode.

One thing to note is that if your cameras are also on their out of box versions from that year there may be some issues. The camera password used to be 12345 and so Hikvision provided updates to camera firmwares to enforce secure passwords to be used. If I come across an old job like that I'll usually disconnect, update and factory reset all cameras to an inactive state, before updating the recorder then finally reconnecting the cameras. It can be a bit awkward as when you reach the camera version that implements secure passwords, you need to create one before continuing to upgrade to the newer versions.

Last edited:
As the newest version is also a 3.4.x release you should be fine upgrading directly to the latest. If the newer release was a 3.6.x the usual advice would be to install the latest .4, then a .5, the first .6 then the latest.

Everything can stay connected:
  • Download the update to your laptop and unzip (if it doesn't automatically). You'll have a file named 'digicap.dav'
  • Connect to your NVR in a browser window and go to Configuration > System > Maintenance
  • At the bottom of the page beneath 'Upgrade' click the browse button and browse to the 'digicap.dav' file and select it. Occasionally it doesn't appear when selected, so if does that just browse and select it again.
  • Click 'upgrade'. The progress of the file upload will be shown and then the NVR will reboot.
If you struggle to get the browse button to bring up the pop up showing your laptop directories, try another browser or run edge in internet explorer mode.

One thing to note is that if your cameras are also on their out of box versions from that year there may be some issues. The camera password used to be 12345 and so Hikvision provided updates to camera firmwares to enforce secure passwords to be used. If I come across an old job like that I'll usually disconnect, update and factory reset all cameras to an inactive state, before updating the recorder then finally reconnecting the cameras. It can be a bit awkward as when you reach the camera version that implements secure passwords, you need to create one before continuing to upgrade to the newer versions.
Perfect! Thanks for your reply.
I have 3 cameras installed on the system, 2 of which are some chinease ONVIF settings on the NVR and 1 is a Hikvision camera.
Should I note down the IP address of the cameras incase the settings get lost in the update or would it be fine do you think?
During a firmware upgrade does camera data get lost?
Thanks

Perfect! Thanks for your reply.
I have 3 cameras installed on the system, 2 of which are some chinease ONVIF settings on the NVR and 1 is a Hikvision camera.
Should I note down the IP address of the cameras incase the settings get lost in the update or would it be fine do you think?
During a firmware upgrade does camera data get lost?
Thanks
No data should be lost when updating the NVR. Most settings are stored on the camera. I'd just run the NVR upgrade and see how you get on. If you have a monitor directly connected to the NVR you can just right click select menu and click on cameras to see the IP addresses, and firmware versions.

No data should be lost when updating the NVR. Most settings are stored on the camera. I'd just run the NVR upgrade and see how you get on. If you have a monitor directly connected to the NVR you can just right click select menu and click on cameras to see the IP addresses, and firmware versions.
Thank you

Back