01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HIKVISION PTZ POWER

Marco Hill

GOOD DAY,

I am planning on purchasing DS-2DE4225IW-DE (S5).

I will be connecting this to this controller: Ubiquiti SunMAX SolarPoint 24V 40W Outdoor 4 PoE Controller | SM-SP-40

The controller has 24 Poe output ports

The PTZ requires 12 VDC, PoE(802.3at) I marked 802.3at as the key word I am trying to clarify

I will use this poe splitter to bring the 24- poe to 12 poe.

From understanding and in theory the above should work.

I want to buy 27 of these PTZ for a farm that will connect back to my NVR using nanostations.

Cany anyone give feedback on whether see any issue with the above?

Thank you kindly.

From reading the datasheets it may work as you have suggested, however, the specs for the camera say that the max power is 24w which is higher than the max that the controller can supply.

Is Solar your only option and does it need to be PTZ cameras?

Hi @Marco Hill

I would not be comfortable recommending the above solution for a system that is going to include that many PTZ cameras, there are a few things you need to be aware of:

1) Ubiquiti have been known in the past to use non-standard PoE protocols which means these devices may not support the 802.3at PoE+ standard of these PTZ cameras.
2) The controller you have linked above does not have 24 PoE ports it only has 4 PoE ports, also the Max. PoE output of the controller is 40W and the Max. PoE consumption of the 4225 PTZ models is 24W which means even if these cameras are compatible with the Ubiquiti device each controller will only have the PoE budget to power one PTZ camera.

For a system of this size you are going to need a PoE switch like the Hikvision DS-3E1526P-SI Smart Managed 24 Port Gigabit PoE Switch which does have 24 PoE ports each of which does support up to 30W PoE output, but even a large PoE switch like this only has a 400W PoE budget which would be exceeded by 24 PTZs using 24W. With a system of this size, we would recommend multiple smaller PoE switches (e.g. 4-Port/8-Port PoE+ switches) that are wired back to a central hub switch.

The most important thing you need to be aware of when considering PoE Switches for PTZ cameras is:

1) The switch must support 802.3at PoE+ standard, make sure to check the spec sheet to confirm that all ports support that standard because some switches can have different standards on some of the ports.
2) Check the PoE budget, this is the total PoE power that can be supplied by the switch and this cannot be exceeded. (e.g. the 4-port model I have linked above has a 60W budget so it will only support 2 x 24W PTZs)

Finally, splitters should not be required. If you have a good quality PoE switch like the ones I've linked above the ports on those switches will be able to automatically adjust the power they provide based on the device that is connected to them, there is no need to step the power down with splitters.

Thanks a lot Dan and dturtill. This makes sense I am happy you were able to break this down for me.

Dan can you recommend a Hikvision camera.

The camera would be on a wooden pole 4 meters high that would cover a perimeter on a large farm. The poles would be around 200 meters apart. I am thinking of a varifocal camera which I would set line crossing and intrusion alarms on. Due the distance apart I there will be a blind spot. We wont have lights so we will need IR not ColorVu.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Hi @Marco Hill

A varifocal or PTZ camera would be a good idea for the distances you want to cover, but there is one factor that may make an IP solution impractical. Network data and power can only be sent a maximum of 100m and if you wanted to connect cameras over longer distances than that you will need PoE extenders at every 100m point beyond that initial 100m run, PoE extenders can be a costly solution and so potentially you may be better off looking at an analog COAX solution as the analog signal can be sent over longer cable runs making it more cost-effective for large sites like yours.

We have minimal experience with analog COAX systems so I would recommend that you google for and contact some CCTV installers and get their advice on the best solution for your site.

Ok thanks a lot. Will go with the varifocal 4MP.

The poles ares connected using ubiquiti nanostations which in turn will connect to the 32 Channel Hikvision NVR.

Hi @Marco Hill

Ok, I am still unsure how reliable your network/PoE connection is going to be over those nanostations. I would recommend only buying 1 or 2 cameras to try first and see how reliable the nanostation connection is, and also the central hub station that is receiving all the data from the other stations will need to be connected to your local network (e.g. either directly to the router or into a switch on the network) and not directly into the NVR because the NVR ports use a different subnet range (192.168.254.xxx) that the nanostations may not recognise.

Back