01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision smart events - is it better to configure them on the camera or the NVR?

sentinel44

Guys, one newbie question. If I have acusense NVR and acusense camera, smart events I should set on camera or NVR?

Thx.

Why the NVR? surely the hardware on the camera would be better?

I have the K series NVR and I tend to find that it does not display all the settings that the camera has (i.e Min/Max size on intrusion detection). Likewise, if I adjust the intrusion detection settings on the NVR, it seems to wipe the Min/Max size setting. Hence I prefer to configure it on the camera itself.

Hi @dalydesign

It depends on the setup, if you are running smart or AcuSense cameras on a K-series NVR then yes you will have more control when accessing the cameras directly as some AcuSense functions will not be supported by the K-series NVRs at all, but the user who started this thread has the latest AcuSense NVR and cameras so the NVR will support all the same functions as the cameras.

Thanks for that info. That's part of the reason why I was asking about the differences between the I & K series boxes on another post a few days ago. I was looking at upgrading the setup to have better and more reliable access to the cameras' functions.

@Dan @dalydesign

Just to clear this out, even I own acusense NVR (7616 NXI) it seems that it is better to set all on camera itself. In NVR you dont have option to draw min and max size. Yesterday I logged to camera directly and disable all smart functions and than set them through NVR (without min and max size). That didn't turn them on so I need to log to camera again. Through NVR you can draw lines, set arminng schedule, change sensitivity etc but it seems that is better to set it on camera like I said above. For example, arming schedule on camera is set 0-24h and after that on NVR is 00:00-06:30 and 22:00-24:00 and camera still keep here own armin schedule but You will be notified just in period scheduled on NVR. Please check the pictures attached. Regards.

Attachments

• 2020-07-10 (1).jpg
    2020-07-10 (1).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 419
  • 2020-07-10 (3).jpg
    2020-07-10 (3).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 421
  • 2020-07-10 (4).jpg
    2020-07-10 (4).jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 408
  • 2020-07-10 (5).jpg
    2020-07-10 (5).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 2020-07-10 (6).jpg
    2020-07-10 (6).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Try login in Internet Explorer, Chrome and other modern browsers don't show all possibilities. maybe that's the problem.

Try login in Internet Explorer, Chrome and other modern browsers don't show all possibilities. maybe that's the problem.

@KamirZG I use IE addon in chrome, otherwise I will not get picture at all. Same situtation is even if I change settings locally using IVMS 4200. Just checked with Internet Explorer under Windows 10 (not Microsoft Edge) with same result. I am almost 100% sure that there is no option to draw min max size under smart settings on NVR which will aplly to camera. I will check once more when I get gome and will post results.

@sentinel44 do you maybe have monitor, to see if there are those option directly on NVR? I don't have acusense NVR on my stock so i can't try myself.
Acusense DVR have those option's on him self.

@KamirZG yes, I have monitor attached to NVR. I was playing with setting yesterday and for sure there is no option to draw min and max size through NVR. One more thing is annoying. If you change settings on camera itself (for example lines under line crossing, shapes under intrussion etc.., through web gui or IVMS 4200, they will not be stored to NVR until NVR is rebooted. On other hand, if you change them through NVR, camera will synchronize.

Regards.

Oh dear, so changing settings on AcuSense (ISU) cams attached to I-series NVR. But the NVR GUI doesn't support manipulation of all smart functions of the cams. So tweak cams via web, or iVMS. But then reboot NVR to synchronise each time cams are tweaked.

But how does that work in real life?

I mean. Just for one cam I need Motion; intrusion, and line crossing. But I don't need strobe during the day! So I need to set up at least three scenarios per cam. It seems I can select from zero hours towards a time, all day, or from a time in the evening till midnight when working from the web interface. Of course, weekends add more complexity to that one cam setup!

So, a scenario. "give me sound and strobe if someone wanders around during dark. But just give a warning sound during daylight. But as the system is recording 24/7, always flag every event"

So: Am I missing something in setting up arming schedules/linkage/area setting methods?
If not, how do you maintain control of the settings? Is there a report or something?

How would a 32 cam setup be efficiently maintained? indeed, how would a professional surveillance operation maintain multiple sites?

Comments most appreciated.

Regards Michael

bringing up this old thread as indeed we need more clarity on the best practices to be implemented in a fully fledged HIKVISION setup .

I'm currently running a DS-7608NI-K2 (non POE)

and 3 G2 colorvu cameras (1 G3 and 2 G5 firmware, all last update installed)

Clearly on the NVR I cannot set the min/max dimensions of detections, and also setting the lines is waay more buggy and imprecise compared to do it via the camera themselves.
Plus, all my cameras has white light, and there is no way to link the D1 light tirgger when an event on D2 happens.

I was under the belief that if an NVR is present in the setup then it should be the master for the event triggers otherwise the recording would not be according to the detection rules, but apparently this way of thinking cannot be achieved.

what are your suggestion?

bringing up this old thread as indeed we need more clarity on the best practices to be implemented in a fully fledged HIKVISION setup .
Might have been better as a separate thread as this one was more related to whether to use the AcuSense feature of the camera or the NVR (where both have the feature)...but I'll answer here anyway...

Clearly on the NVR I cannot set the min/max dimensions of detections, and also setting the lines is waay more buggy and imprecise compared to do it via the camera themselves.
Correct. Best practice is to start on the NVR. Program everything that's available there (draw the line, do the linkage action, sensitivity etc). For the bits that aren't available (min/max in some cases, target validity for AcuSense) log into the camera to complete those items, but do not overwrite what you just did via the NVR (as the NVR GUI will not update in real time and may cause confusion)

Plus, all my cameras has white light, and there is no way to link the D1 light tirgger when an event on D2 happens.
You've not been specific about your camera models. If they end LU then the white (ColorVu) LEDs can only be triggered on the camera with the event regardless of where you set it. If they end in LSU/SL then you can configure the strobe light on one to trigger from an event on the other as the image shows below (came 1 is selected but cam 3 light and sound are displayed for linkage):

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 15.31.57.png

I was under the belief that if an NVR is present in the setup then it should be the master for the event triggers otherwise the recording would not be according to the detection rules, but apparently this way of thinking cannot be achieved.
It's not so much that it's the master. When you program a parameter using the NVR and click apply, it sets it on the connected camera, therefore immediately both menus will reflect the newly applied setting. However if you set something directly on the cameras web page, you altered the setting and it will work as normal, but the change won't immediately show when you look at the NVRs config - the NVR may show the previous setting even though the camera is acting on the new one.

Back