01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Test email fails?

TheWiZZzz

I am experiencing issues with configuring SMTP on my Hikvision NVR. Despite multiple attempts, I am unable to successfully send test emails. Below are the steps I have taken and the issues I have encountered:

Device model: DS-7204HUHI-K1
  1. SMTP Servers Tried:
    • Gmail: smtp.gmail.com
    • ISP SMTP Server: mail.ziggo.nl
    • GMX.com: mail.gmx.com
  2. Ports Tried:
    • Port 25
    • Port 465 (SSL)
    • Port 587 (TLS)
  3. Devices Used:
    • Two different laptops on the same network
  4. Actions Taken:
    • Verified SMTP server addresses, ports, and credentials multiple times
    • Updated NVR firmware to the latest version
    • Rebooted both the NVR and the modem/router multiple times
    • Configured port forwarding on my router for the relevant ports (25, 465, 587)
    • Disabled any firewall settings that could potentially block the SMTP traffic on both the router and NVR
    • Tested connectivity to the SMTP servers using Telnet and other tools, with no success
  5. Results:
    • All test emails have failed across different SMTP servers and ports.
    • Error logs on the NVR indicate failure to connect to the SMTP server, but no specific error codes are provided.
At this point, I have exhausted all troubleshooting steps I can think of, including using different SMTP servers, adjusting network settings, and ensuring that the NVR is properly configured. Despite these efforts, the issue persists.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in diagnosing and resolving this problem.

Hi @TheWiZZzz

Email notifications have always been notoriously difficult to get working, especially on EOL NVRs and DVRs.
Whenever we ask Hikvision, they simply recommend using the Hik-Connect app and push notification sends instead.

However, things to check that might get things working for you are:
  1. Make sure that your DNS settings are correct - try Google's servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

2. Make sure that the gateway address on the NVR is set correctly.

3. Make sure that you have set an app password for the DVR in your Gmail account and are using this, rather than your normal password, which no longer works:
    It looks like you need to set app passwords in GMX now too:

Hi Kyle,

Yes, I'm sure my Gateway is set correctly and I'm using Google's preferred DNS servers (8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4 OR 8.8.8.8 - 1.1.1.1) and setup the application specific passwords on Gmail and GMX. Still the test fails. Hence I assume it's network related.

On Canyouseeme.org it shows port 587 is closed, so is 465. Even though I've got portforwarding setup on my NVR's IP. Could that be related? Do these ports needs to be open for the NVR to use smtp? I've got this NVR now 7 years and it stopped a few months ago for some reason.

Yes, maybe, it's worth testing with those ports open briefly.

Which firmware version is the DVR running?

Test with UPnP disabled on the DVR if it isn't already.
Also, when you change any email / network settings on the DVR, reboot it, as sometimes simply clicking save doesn't apply the changes properly.

This thread might help fix the email notifications too, it looks like it varies by network, but the NVR's server port needs to be forwarded - it's worth trying all of the suggestions here anyway:

Thanks Kyle, I've disabled UPNP and rebooted my DVR ( on firmware V4.20.010 build 210908) but it makes no difference.

I've now entered the same SMTP information on the 4200 application and there the test email works!. However, the webportal and the 4200 seems to be out of sync? in the Webportal I can only check SSL while on the 4200 app it shows STARTTLS? And my events on webportal do not show on the 4200 app. Any way to get these in sync?

And what does it tell us that test mailing works from the app but not from the webportal?

Ah, well done for thinking to try in 4200 :)
I'm not sure how to sync them, but earlier NVRs have always been problematic in modern browsers, so I suspect that's why you're missing features on the webpage view and not getting emails from the web setup.
We've seen things not save properly in web browsers when they're not running in Internet Explorer mode and using the right plugins.
My advice would be to stick to 4200 for all of the settings, and try wiping / reconfiguring your event settings in there rather than a browser, which should get all of the events showing in 4200.

I had this bookmarked in case it helps:

Hope this can read, otherwise I'll start a new thread.

email notifications were working fine this morning. We then had workmen working on the house. This led to constant alerts, so I muted my phone.
They had a lunch break, so I unmuted my phone in case anyone wanted to call/text me.
Once they returned I realised I wasn't getting any email alerts from my cameras.
I initially thought my inbox must be full, but it wasn't.
I then thought maybe due to the constant triggering, alerts maybe going to junk folder, they weren't.
I then logged on to the NVR to send test emails to both the email accounts that I have for alerts, but I get "Testing Failed"

Why is this and how can I resolve it?

TIA

OK, I've solved my issue.

I was on the right track, thinking the constant email alerts were being blocked by email providers. BUT I was looking at it from the receiving end. It was the email address that I use to SEND the emails (I had reached a daily limit for sending emails).

Back