01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HiWatch DS-N316/2(D) - corrupts video stream when recording to disk.

f2065

NVR - HiWatch DS-N316/2(D), firmware V4.75.000_230719
Cameras – HikVision DS-2CD2186G2-ISU, firmware V5.7.15_240411
Motion recording is configured, on average, recording is in progress about 50-70% of the time.
There are 11 cameras, but the problem has always been there, even when there were only 5 cameras.
H265+ is enabled everywhere, but the problem was there earlier when there was just H265, and with H264.

The essence of the problem:
The recordings often have vertical green stripes, bright colored squares (usually large - a quarter of the frame), and other noticeable artifacts of the digital stream; every 2-5 minutes some problem in the frame inevitably appears.
But when viewing live video from cameras through a NVR, there are no problems!
That is the video stream from the cameras arrives to the NVR without damage, and then from the NVR to the browser or iVMS for viewing it also arrives without damage.

But when viewing the recording from the NVR - the stream is broken! Of course, you can watch it, but it’s uncomfortable - when every few minutes some green stripes come out and then remain there for a minute (until the picture in this place is updated naturally).

The recording bandwidth should be sufficient (and with multiple reserves!), there are 2 disks (WD60PURZ), I ran all the disk tests perfectly.
The NVR simply writes a direct stream, it should not repack anything itself?
But it feels like the NVR is somehow modifying the stream and corrupting it while recording…

I set up a NAS/SMB server and specified it in the camera. I set up recording to NAS in the camera.
Now I have two recordings at the same time - recording directly from the camera to the NAS/SMB server, and the same time recorded by the NVR HiWatch DS-N316/2(D).

I compare the videos - everything is fine in the files from the camera (no artifacts), but in the files from the NVR - the picture freezes regularly, green stripes and other artifacts appear.
The problem occurs when viewing via iVMS, and in the web interface of the NVR, and in files downloaded from the NVR (viewing in VS Player V7.5.0.4).

I carefully studied the moments of video failure. In the camera recording (on the NAS/SMB server) when viewing frame-by-frame, it is visible that at this moment the whole picture makes a barely noticeable change across the entire frame - it looks like the camera missed several frames. But, for the camera file this is not critical, the video stream of the camera file will not be damaged by the loss of several frames - it is all shown normally! But the file of the same moment from the NVR cannot tolerate frame drops; from that moment on, streaks and artifacts immediately appear, and only after a few seconds do they gradually go away.

What to do?

Why does the NVR modify the stream when recording and how can I stop it from doing so?
It seems that this is not a problem with a single model HiWatch DS-N316/2(D), but with the entire Hikvision brand - I found people on the Internet with a similar problem on Hikvision DS-7716NI…

Back