01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How Can I Connect My Old Analog Sony PTZ to a New Annke Hybrid DVR?

jimthorley

So, I replaced my dvr with a hybrid system - all my cameras are bnc.
My main one is a ptz camera pretty old but still produces a good image.
I had 2 rs485 wires I had to plug into the old system for the ptz to work.
The new dvr does not have these connectors, so not getting the use of the ptz.
Is there any solution to fix this or do I need to invest in a new ptz camera?

It looks like it can take 4 bnc and 2 ip cameras on the new system or all ip cameras but, correct me if I am wrong as I'm a novice, I would need a certain type of ptz camera that could work over coaxial?

So much confusing jargon out there.
Or, if I went ip camera and connect to the dvr over my network, would the dvr be able to record that footage?

Obviously, the best outcome would be getting my existing camera to work if possible,
Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi @jimthorley

Can you please confirm the Hybrid DVR and PTZ models you have?

Hi Dan the dvr is annke dw81kd the camera I can't remember anything about think it's a old Sony dome camera I'm sure it ran on pelco? The new system has these options but without plugging in the rs 485 connection the ptz will not be powered thought i had seen a viseo where you could solder the rs cables to a usb connection and plug into the dvr but un sure of that and id rather not go to the expense of a new camera when it works fine but i can not get into the cameras settings on the dvr by pressing the iris button like i did on the old exmeye system

Thanks @jimthorley

We don't have a huge amount of experience with analog kit, but looking at the below diagram from the Annke website for your DVR model it looks like the analog cameras need to receive power from a separate PSU.

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 14.44.14.png

I think this is pretty standard for most modern DVRs/Hybrid DVRs as most current analog cameras support either PoC (Power over COAX) or powering via a separate PSU.

I don't know anything about whether or not it is possible to wire the RS485 cable to a USB, our only recommendation would be to replace the PTZ with a newer analog PTZ model or an IP PTZ (the DVR you have can record IP cameras up to 6MP, but you might have storage/bandwidth limitations so we would probably recommend a 2MP or 4MP IP PTZ).

Thanks very much I thought this would be the route I would have to go thanks very much for your help it's appreciated

Reactions: Dan
Back