01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How can I extend my network 300 yards to my gate / entrance?

shackec

Hello, I am a newbie on this forum. I have limited networking skills. My project is to install a security camera at the gate to my lane and convey a signal to a secure shed; which has internet access. The distance involved is about 300 yards. There is no internet access at the gate.

There is mains power at the gate which is delivered in a service pipe, underground, from the shed. I don't think I can provide any additional power at any point in the 300 yards.

Is there a way of taking the signal from the IP camera and delivering it to the shed for onward transmission to the internet?

I understand that with a normal POE link I am limited to about 100 yards. I can make a reasonably dry and secure place for any equipment by the gate. I would like to run the signal cable through the same service pipe as the power supply.
Could there be a problem with interference; the two cables would probably touch at various points inside the service pipe?
The lane has a bend and is heavily treed; no line of sight capability.

Would very much appreciate any advice, guidance, and comments.

I think I would buy & try some powerline adapters in the first instance.
These will extend your network via the mains cable.
As far as I know there is no length/distance limitation.

Thank you Phil. I do actually use Tplink range extenders in my cottage (problem with stone walls). It never occurred to me that the power supply line to the lane gate could be a signal carrier! I believe when I first used the range extender that there was a distance limitation but I cannot remember what it was. Obviously was not an issue in the cottage. I will look into this and give it a try. Many thanks.

They suggest a range of up to 300m for their newer models:

TP-Link Powerline with G.hn 15-2-24.png

Yes, definitely going to try this. It will take a while; my wife says we're going on holiday. Will let you know how I make out. I daresay I will have a few more questions before I am finished.. C

It is a nominal 240V supply. But given the distance ( 300metres of 4mm armoured cable) I am not sure what voltage is being delivered at the gate. Something for me to check!

Back