01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

is it possible to run a cctv camera from a mobile phone only?

Rossi46

Hi all

I would like a cctv camera at my business unit which is about a mile from my home address
I have no landline/internet connection at the unit so I wanted to ask is it possible to have a cctv camera at my unit and connect it to just my mobile phone (hotspot I believe )
If so can anyone recommend a camera?
Thanks

What are you trying to achieve please?
e.g. do you want a camera that is there / recording continuously for security?

Hi
Thanks for replying
Not really wanting it to continuously record no but I would like to be alerted and also to check when I want

I can't think of a straightforward way of achieving this (via your mobile phone's hotspot) at the moment.
Typically the camera's alerts would need to go to the manufacturer's web portal, to then be able to alert your mobile / App.

I can't think of a straightforward way of achieving this (via your mobile phone's hotspot) at the moment.

I agree with @Phil ... it's not straightforward, but I do currently have several wireless EZ-Viz cameras (not recording, but with SD cards to record events) that I can access using the EZ-Viz app at a site where a cellphone hotspot is the only internet access. I do receive alerts from these cameras.

The cameras connect to a TP-Link AX-55 router which then connects to a TP-Link RE505X extender (Ethernet wired) ... the extender then connects to the cellphone hotspot. The extender is required to sort of turn the router's WAN port into a wireless connection.

It all works far better than I expected it would.

If you only need one camera at the site, I believe my first test was to just connect one EZ-Viz camera directly to the phone's hotspot and that worked well too if I remember correctly. (Full functionality in EZ-Viz app)

Back