01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Looks like a camera died!

Jan J

Centurion!
Trusted Member
DS2CD2042-WD1 camera.... (It's the one where the front glass cracked and Glass replaced, a couple years ago....) 1 of 6 cameras Outside..
Smokey Mountains of USA.... High Humidity area...
No Network connection... (Raining now)
I had replaced glass on this camera, and waterproofed All of them 4-5 years ago..... Before install...
Now no network connection.... Fed from POE Inserter....
So far did all the troubleshooting I could.. from the inside....
Replacing the POE inserter, and connection from SW to Inserter.... Cable included.... No Joy!
That leaves the buried cable or camera....

Awaiting Rain to stop... then I'll swap with spare camera to confirm which it is....
Ongoing

In the off chance it's the front glass, I've a replacement and can re-build it.... and waterproof it....
If it's not the connection.....

If it IS the camera, has anyone successfully dried out a dis-assembled camera by putting it in a warm oven for hours?

I don't know which it is, yet, camera or cable....(Armoured cable buried ~50')

Appreciate any comments! :)!

Last edited:
Opened up mount. ANTS! Used ant @ termite spray to clean out mount. Will have to address this later.
On second cleaning of Ethernet cable (ant @ termite spray - will hit with Cramolin red later) the spare camera finally booted off POE Cable.
Removed camera residing in plastic bag with spray. Will open it up & test-in a few days, after the bodies are removed!

Last edited:
Examined camera now that all bugs are dead..... Connected to POE or external Power, after cleaning (no Copper Sulfate, just ant parts!) Stuck in Boot IR Lights, will not boot...
Opened up.... It's dry inside.... re-seated connections.... Tried boot again.. ending up with both ext 12V and POE.... will not boot... IR Light and middle board boot light only.... Stuck ON...
Finally, Power Up with RESET Button PRESSED... No Boot... Noticed some warmth after 15 min.... something is probably loading down 12V....
Its dead..... No Heat damaged parts or swollen caps inside... on any of the boards....

NOW.... I need to replace camera. Preferably with a fixed 16mm Outdoor POE H264 fixed 4MP or better Camera....
I have spare 4MM camera installed, but its image is way wide.....

Does anyone make a 16mm fixed focus 4MP or higher (I am using H264 1920x1080/30 NTSC) Camera for Stand Alone Use???
I went to Hikvision site and sent USA sales an email of my needs, but HiKvision USA has always been a Lack of support for me....

Last edited:
Today totally Disassembled camera.
Verified that No humidity ever got in.
No heat damage on any of 3 boards. Fuses good. Caps good. No apparent short on boards. But dead anyway.
If I had a spare would shotgun bottom board as a WAG.
NO Spare.

Kept for parts

Looking for another camera. Not using DVR.

Specs in prior post

APPRECIATE YOUR CAMERA SUGGESTIONS THAT MEET SPECS POSTED BEFORE.

Hi @Jan J

From the above this looks to have been a bit of a crazy one, I think an ants nest is a first for us :)

In regards to 16mm fixed cameras, unfortunately, there will be very limited choices from the IP cameras out there.

Probably your only option would be a box camera with a separate CS-mount 16mm lens connected to it, but for outdoor use, this camera will require a large box camera housing and as box cameras are not that popular there will also likely be long lead times for any model.

Even cameras with a fixed built-in 12mm lens are very hard to find now, in our opinion the best value and "most likely in stock" option would be a varifocal camera with a focal range that includes 16mm. Something like the iDS-2CD7A26G0-IZHS 2MP DeepinView Varifocal Bullet Camera with the 8-32mm lens option.

Thanks for suggestion. The need for 16MM is great, even with camera mounted on fence 75’ from house facing downhill toward the road below ~300’ or so away. Obviously night vision with this lens & distance is non-existent.

I did come up with novel way of ant prevention in the pvc pipe & enclosure:
With clean ant free camera mount, sprayed ant & termite spray in vertical pvc pipe, then stuffed a few cotton balls into top of pvc pipe at camera mount, around the Ethernet cable, and with them sealing the pipe, saturated cotton balls with ant & termite spray. That should keep them out!
Spare camera (only 4MM Lens) in place, while I look for replacement camera.
Cameras are all isolated from internet:
Synology NAS’s Surveillance Station takes camera stream and makes & stores motion detected video on NAS, so I don’t have DVR here. Live and mot-detect video access handled by NAS.

So my quest for replacement camera with 16MM Lens proceeds, hopefully ant-less!

Edit: next day.. HiKVision Western USA replied, as did 2 other Security Camera Sellers. “No 16MM Cameras”. One MFG replied with a 12MM PTZ for $1400.00 Have 4 other emails to other MFG’s, before crazy ideas are considered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Thought you folks deserved an update.... on my dead 16MM camera...
I have a 4MM Camera there now, temporary, but you gotta zoom in all the way on pics, and image just isn't close enough to work!
Seeing that 16MM fixed cams are no longer sold (Contacted multiple MFG's)......
And Camera is 75' from house, aiming at something 300+ feet away..... I gotta have a 16MM Lens!!

I looked into swaping the 16MM Lens intp an identical camera with 4MM lens.. But Lens is too long for other camera... so that's out...

So I went searching for a fixed 16MM camera with 4MP or higher sensor..... Found one on aliexpress, but ?????? Could I trust that??
Searched onward with no joy...... It's simply not made...

I'm using cams separately, NO DVR, with Surveillance Station on Synology NAS doing the work, and they say SS can support generic OMVIF cameras..... Though I have Never tried OMVIF whatsoever..... and I can't find a 16MM Cam, and I do have a firewall to isolate a 'talkative' camera...... GEE: SHOULD I?

So, having NO OTHER LOCATION to purchase from....... I ordered the 8MP 16MM fixed No Name Camera.... From aliexpress (OH MY!)

I got it yesterday. Model name sent doesn't match order, doc sheet gives wrong login Password, no IP....

Using OMVIF Device Manager, found camera on isolated network I created just for this test (By now I'm paranoid!) changed Login, password, IP,.... Blocked it in Router Firewall... (no Hits on this rule in 8 hours!).....

No ftp pics, but streaming Video works fine in Synology's SS.... (Using SS to do mot detect and save video on NAS.... Works with DS CAM App, too..)..

Only thing I cannot do is set ON SCREEN TEXT or Size..... OMVIF Device Manager doesn't support this, and SS does so incorrectly... (SS locked up, and Removed Date, Time, Camera Name text burnin, and now have No way of re-adding Date & Time or Camera Name..... That's the only thing that is not working correctly... OSD Display....

If anyone knows of software to directly connect to OMVIF camera and set OSD Display, Please inform!!!

Just checked again before posting... Neither Synology's Firewall, Threat Prevention Packet sniffer, nor Safe Access had heard a peep from the Un-Named MFG camera.... I'm still running it on a separate network at home for the time being...... I WOULD HAVE Bought another HikVision camera if they had a 16MM!!!! Really!!
oh yes, the sensor must be 8MP as it looks great...
Thanks for any posts

Last edited:
if you want 16mm, look at ptz option, one of them could be DS-2DE4A425IW-DE 4MP

4.8-120mm Varifocal Lens, you get your 16mm here :-P it is a 25x optimal zoom camera

if you are able to order from the US look at B&H, 580$ new or 500$ openbox or 410$ used

look at varifocal option otherwise

I actually talked with company sales team on west coast, who said they had nothing at this time.

Why, with only one cam available, and me needing 16MM, I went the way I did!

Still looking for ONVIF Software to set OSD.

Final update I hope!
Given access to cam. Done via English plug-in that came up in Chinese and had to guess how to make English. After that had to give admin account access to setup.
THEN I could access camera settings!
OSD Repaired.
Not anywhere as nice as HiKVision config!
But 16MM!

Router firewall rule blocking camera has yet to get a hit, so, network has been normalized.
Testing continues
PS: DS CAM APP works fine with dissimilar cameras and cam resolutions!
One 1920x1080/30, other 3840x2160/15

One thing I do like on new camera (not sure if new H models has this):
2 LEDs on network connector: Blue indicating power is applied, and flashing green on network communications!! Helps a guy know status in middle of front yard!

Last edited:
And one more dig at No-name Chinese camera! Yes, it has a 16MM lens!
But after install, I realize the lens is focused about 60’ in front of camera. I will have to un-install it, disassemble and clean the extra silicon glue I added to front access, place on tripod disassembled and adjust the optical focus for the intended target….
Then reassemble camera adding silicon glue for waterproofing, and re-install!
Never had to do this on out of the box HiKvision cameras!
The need for a 16MM lens was That great!

Final update on this.... 2x Different Cameras from AliExpress with 16MM lenses, each are focused about 40-50' from the camera.... I had to open up each camera and re-focus them for the required distance!

Reactions: Dan
Back