01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New M Series NVR Setup - Unable to display 8MP in Web UI Live View?

rorton

Setting up a brand new M Series NVR. Only hooked up one camera to it so far, which is a DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL 8MP.

If I set the resolution to 3840*2160 in the GUI or by web browser, I can see the cam no problem via the NVR directly connected by HDMI to monitor, but using the web UI live view, it wont display the main stream. It does play the audio though from the main stream. If I select the sub stream, no probs, all works as it should. This is using a Mac, and Chrome browser.

If I reduce the main stream of the device to 1920*1080, then it will display in the live view on the web ui (interestingly. if I do that, and then on the NVR connected to the monitor, I press the info button to see frame rate and resolution, these are still set to 3840x2160, even though the GUI says otherwise).

Anyone else seen this? Ive upgraded straight away to 4.63.000 Build 230412. Device is a DS7732NI-M4

Quick update - I was trying to be to clever for my own good with this particular bit...

If I reduce the main stream of the device to 1920*1080, then it will display in the live view on the web ui (interestingly. if I do that, and then on the NVR connected to the monitor, I press the info button to see frame rate and resolution, these are still set to 3840x2160, even though the GUI says otherwise).

I still have the camera connected to the old Hybrid DVR, so the settings were not updating on the GUI as the other DVR must have been telling it to stay on 8MP.

Ive removed it from the other DVR, so its only connected to this one NVR

If I change resolutions now, that works as expected, and I do see that change on the NVR live view screen. But I still cant get it to display in a Mac Browser

Was really hoping that for general use, I'd have a browser running with the cameras in, hence trying to get this working.

Quick update - I was trying to be to clever for my own good with this particular bit...

I still have the camera connected to the old Hybrid DVR, so the settings were not updating on the GUI as the other DVR must have been telling it to stay on 8MP.

Ive removed it from the other DVR, so its only connected to this one NVR

If I change resolutions now, that works as expected, and I do see that change on the NVR live view screen. But I still cant get it to display in a Mac Browser

Was really hoping that for general use, I'd have a browser running with the cameras in, hence trying to get this working.
Hikvision support for Mac is known to be awful. There was no browser support at all at one point. I'm a Mac user and although I can't use Chrome or Firefox; Safari will display the main stream of that same model camera (G5 platform 8MP) on the M Series with 4.63.000 on, I just tried. Though strangely it will not play the main stream of any of my G3 platform cameras, 4 or 8 MP despite being in the same connection.

Last edited:
Thanks, for some reason, Safari seems worse than Chrome, but that may be because my old DVR has the same IP as the new NVR, so all the cache maybe a bit messed up - I cleared all the safari history and will try again with using that. I re ip'd the DVR as I wont need to connect to it remotely, so all my router config can stay the same, could I ask whats std method to connect, I have always changed the port on the DVR to one in the 50000 range, and connected via a DDNS from noip to that, ive also still been using IVMS4500 on iPhone, not really realising Hik Connect replaced it. I guess you can direct connect to Hik Connect but not sure I want to.

Im just testing using my old DVR with 7 TVI cameras connected as an encoder to the NVR - I dont have time to swap out all the rest of the analogue cams at the moment, so wanted to try keeping them hooked up to the DVR, and add them as channels to the NVR. Eventually I'll replace them with IP, but this has bought me some time.

Short story is that it works - and better than I expected - if you change a resolution for example on the NVR, it makes that change to the DVR for you, I was impressed by that.

When I get some time, I will do a post about using a DVR as an encoder to connect to an NVR as I have seen a few questions one here about it, and not much info online about it.

Will start to get the cams added again shortly, just need to get the disks out of the DVR and report back.

could I ask whats std method to connect, I have always changed the port on the DVR to one in the 50000 range, and connected via a DDNS from noip to that, ive also still been using IVMS4500 on iPhone, not really realising Hik Connect replaced it. I guess you can direct connect to Hik Connect but not sure I want to.
Previously when I was using iVMS-4500 I always did the same as you; changed the standard ports, forwarded them in the router and used DynDNS for direct remote connection. An additional direct connection using the LAN IP was also used for when at home on the local WiFi (necessary if your router does not allow loopback)

Now I set systems up differently. I tend to use the Hik-Connect service which uses P2P, so there's no need for port forwarding or using the NVRs UPnP at all. I also add a second connection to the Hik-Connect app which I name "Local WiFi" using the LAN address of the NVR. That's handy as although the Hik-Connect P2P service gets around the potential loopback issue, it's handy to have that backup if there are any issues with the (Hik-Connect) service. I will now always use the Hik-Connect service for connection; without it you don't get push notifications, or event clips in the app, or AcuSense filtered playback.

Bear in mind iVMS-4500 has long expired (Feb 14th 2022). If you lose it, it's gone and no longer available for download. You can still (if you wish) use the Hik-Connect app without adding your system to the Hik-Connect service and connect exactly as you do at the moment. At the Home Screen, click Login and beneath that 'use visitor mode' to avoid creating an account. Then just add your system manually using IP/Domain (use the + icon at the top right not the one in the centre of the screen) as you would in iVMS-4500. All in all though I'd recommend using the Hik-Connect service due to the benefits/user experience.

Short story is that it works - and better than I expected - if you change a resolution for example on the NVR, it makes that change to the DVR for you, I was impressed by that.
Not quite. With IP and NVR the video is encoded and compressed by the camera before being streamed to the NVR. As such all settings are set and stored on the camera. When you make a change to an IP camera setting using the NVR interface, you're changing the setting in the camera, so in your case the DVR is just reading that altered setting from the camera. With HDTVi and DVR, the video is sent back to the DVR and the DVR does all of the work with regard to encoding and compression, so for TVI cameras the settings are stored on the DVR (although you can set the video output of the camera prior to the video being sent)

Previously when I was using iVMS-4500 I always did the same as you; changed the standard ports, forwarded them in the router and used DynDNS for direct remote connection. An additional direct connection using the LAN IP was also used for when at home on the local WiFi (necessary if your router does not allow loopback)

Now I set systems up differently. I tend to use the Hik-Connect service which uses P2P, so there's no need for port forwarding or using the NVRs UPnP at all. I also add a second connection to the Hik-Connect app which I name "Local WiFi" using the LAN address of the NVR. That's handy as although the Hik-Connect P2P service gets around the potential loopback issue, it's handy to have that backup if there are any issues with the (Hik-Connect) service. I will now always use the Hik-Connect service for connection; without it you don't get push notifications, or event clips in the app, or AcuSense filtered playback.

Bear in mind iVMS-4500 has long expired (Feb 14th 2022). If you lose it, it's gone and no longer available for download. You can still (if you wish) use the Hik-Connect app without adding your system to the Hik-Connect service and connect exactly as you do at the moment. At the Home Screen, click Login and beneath that 'use visitor mode' to avoid creating an account. Then just add you system manually using IP/Domain (use the + icon at the top right not the one in the centre of the screen. All in all though I'd recommend using the Hik-Connect service due to the benefits/user experience.
Thanks, I'll give the Hik Connect a go then as I quite like the look of it.
Not quite. With IP and NVR the video is encoded and compressed by the camera before being streamed to the NVR. As such all settings are set and stored on the camera. When you make a change to an IP camera setting using the NVR interface, you're changing the setting in the camera, so in your case the DVR is just reading that altered setting from the camera. With HDTVi and DVR, the video is sent back to the DVR and the DVR does all of the work with regard to encoding and compression, so for TVI cameras the settings are stored on the DVR (although you can set the video output of the camera prior to the video being sent)
Yep understand what your saying, maybe I didn't explain to well.

What I was trying to say is, with the new NVR, I am adding in TVI channels from a DVR that was existing. Im not working with any IP cameras at the moment, (I have some to add in) just messing with 7 analogue cameras connected to a single DVR, and adding in each of these 7 channels to the NVR. What impressed me was that once these analogue channels have been added to the NVR, and the NVR is getting the feed from the DVR, the NVR can control the settings on the DVR - for example, if I go into one of the newly encoded analogue channels on the NVR, and change the resolution, I see that change happen on the DVR too, a bit like changing a setting on the NVR for an IP cam, and going into the IP cam GUI and being that same setting reflect there.

Yep understand what your saying, maybe I didn't explain to well.

What I was trying to say is, with the new NVR, I am adding in TVI channels from a DVR that was existing. Im not working with any IP cameras at the moment, (I have some to add in) just messing with 7 analogue cameras connected to a single DVR, and adding in each of these 7 channels to the NVR. What impressed me was that once these analogue channels have been added to the NVR, and the NVR is getting the feed from the DVR, the NVR can control the settings on the DVR - for example, if I go into one of the newly encoded analogue channels on the NVR, and change the resolution, I see that change happen on the DVR too, a bit like changing a setting on the NVR for an IP cam, and going into the IP cam GUI and being that same setting reflect there.
Ah OK understood. Yeah I can see that's quite a handy setup, especially for those wanting to migrate from analogue to IP over a period of time (easing the cost burden)

Even cooler, is that if I bring up the PTZ controls on the NVR while viewing an encoded DVR channel, I can go into the cameras menu options just like I was sitting at the DVR, I was thinking the integration would be poor, but its really quite good - definitely worth a thought for someone with a number of analogue that need to migrate over time. For giggles, I just enabled H265+ on the encoded channel, and it said - im gonna reboot the camera now (as it would on an IP camera) and off it went and rebooted the DVR.

Hikvision support for Mac is known to be awful. There was no browser support at all at one point. I'm a Mac user and although I can't use Chrome or Firefox; Safari will display the main stream of that same model camera (G5 platform 8MP) on the M Series with 4.63.000 on, I just tried. Though strangely it will not play the main stream of any of my G3 platform cameras, 4 or 8 MP despite being in the same connection.
After I cleared down Safari's cache - it seems to be ok displaying that cam in the Web Ui.

Web ui a bit clunky, so maybe not a good replacement for having a hard screen wired to the NVR

After I cleared down Safari's cache - it seems to be ok displaying that cam in the Web Ui.

Web ui a bit clunky, so maybe not a good replacement for having a hard screen wired to the NVR
Yeah a hard wired screen is always best. As well as configuration (without the web browser), there's more scope for searching and exporting footage.

Back