01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Please help check my Hikvision camera selection (residential)

montydon

Hi - our neighbours were burgled over the bank holiday weekend, the third in our street, so I urgently need to install some cameras!

Would really appreciate some help from the pros on this forum to make sure I'm buying the right things.

I really like the Hikvision range, especially the Live-Guard features as a deterrent, but I think I'll have to stick with 4MP to help keep the costs down unless there is a good reason to spend the extra on 8MP?

The front of the property has a reasonable amount of ambient light until 2am when the street lights switch off. The back garden is pitch black. I don't want to have exterior lighting on all the time or I'll get into trouble with the neighbours!

There is a narrow passage down the side of my house which gives access to the garden. There is a side window which I'm worried is a bit vulnerable so I wanted to cover that too.

I'm a bit confused about whether I need 2.8mm or 4mm, and I don't know whether I should use IR or ColorVu? And is turret the best choice?

Here is what I was thinking:

Camera 1 - Front door - DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL (I hope there is enough ambient light for ColorVu!) and assume 2.8mm?

Camera 2 - Car parking (in front of garage) - DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL and 2.8mm? Or is 2.8mm going to be too wide?

Camera 3 - Side Alley - DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL for the infra red. 4mm maybe instead of 2.5mm? But would I be better with a bullet as I need to be tight into the wall to cover this narrow space?

Cameras 4 & 5 - DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL for the infra red. Mounted under soffit covering both sides of the ground floor plus a section of the garden. 2.8mm or 4mm?

Really appreciate any hints/tips from the pros on this forum!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 189
  • Front-Door.jpg
    Front-Door.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Passage.jpg
    Passage.jpg
    822.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 181
Hi @montydon

Your plan makes sense, 2.8mm will be a good choice for covering the large open areas in front & behind the property, the narrower 4mm option will work better down the side of the property.

The areas you need to cover are not massive so I think you will get enough detail from 4MP and so 8MP is not absolutely required.

We would recommend buying one AcuSense model and one ColorVu model and then try them out in some of the above positions to see if they work for what you want.

Hi @Dan - thank you so much!

How high up the wall do you recommend I mount the cameras at (1 - front door), (2 - drive) and (3 - alley)?

From reading other posts on the forum it sounds like around 2m might be good for face capture, but want to check with the expert!

Hi @montydon

the positions you have marked on your images look okay to me, for positions 1 & 3 we would recommend around head height (2m/2.5m) because these areas are where people will be close to the camera and if you go too high you will start missing facial detail and just capture the top of peoples heads.

For position 3 you would probably be best off going a little bit higher (3m) to avoid any reflection/glare of the shiny roof of cars parked underneath the camera on the drive.

Back