01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PoE but no network connection?

woko

Hi

I have an issue with my hikvision door entry... It works as it should connected to the PoE switch via a short ethernet cable. When I connect it to the LAN cable next to the door it gets power but no network, it does this on 2 other LAN cables around the house. I've connected a laptop at each point and get an internet connection to check.. I also connected a drum of cable to th switch and it works fine off that, so I am a little bit lost as to what the issue is :(

Hi

I have an issue with my hikvision door entry... It works as it should connected to the PoE switch via a short ethernet cable. When I connect it to the LAN cable next to the door it gets power but no network, it does this on 2 other LAN cables around the house. I've connected a laptop at each point and get an internet connection to check.. I also connected a drum of cable to th switch and it works fine off that, so I am a little bit lost as to what the issue is :(
It sounds as though the unit is faulty, what is the model number and (if known) firmware release?

On the unit, is there a button you can press to reset it to factory default?

Do the yellow / green lights on the device NIC light up, even briefly? It is possible the SADP tool may briefly see it as it boots up. The unit MAC address may also be seen in your routers connected devices history list.

It sounds as though the unit is faulty, what is the model number and (if known) firmware release?

On the unit, is there a button you can press to reset it to factory default?

Do the yellow / green lights on the device NIC light up, even briefly? It is possible the SADP tool may briefly see it as it boots up. The unit MAC address may also be seen in your routers connected devices history list.
Firmware on both devices is the latest, the issue is now sorted :)

I used a known working ethernet cable and connected it from the router and went through each RJ45 socket (missing out the switch and my home made patch leads at this point). I was able to confirm at the other end I was being assigned an IP (or not) - which I wasn't on 2 of my LAN extensions. I cut off the connectors and redid them (I did previously prove continuity on the cables via pins on the male plug AND I had poe just not a network...?!) Once I was assigned a 192 address I knew all was OK. I then connected from the router to the switch and made sure my patch cables were good (50% were bad) and I was still getting a network at the end of each LAN - which I was :)

I initially had wired the ethernet plugs as straight through (I copied the factory made ones) but on the last attempt I wired them as "B" pin layout so either the crimp was bad, or the change to "B" pin layout was the fix.... One of the LAN extensions to what will be my alarm is wired as straight through and that always worked so lends me towards bad crimp. The ethernet cable used is solid core and not twisted copper strands so maybe its a bit harder to terminate properly (they will all go onto sockets in the end except the door belll which needed a male plug).

Only issue now is when I add the IP door entry camera to the DVR it reboots after 10 seconds and when it comes back up the camera is deleted from the list, I have contacted Hik Vision about this but I suspect firmware? Thanks for your response anyway!

Back