01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

PoE cameras offline after power outage?

Chip

Following your previous invaluable help, I’m once again after some assistance.

I have a DS-7616NI-K2-16P NVR which has 3 cameras connected directly into it and 5 via PoE which are connected to a switch in the garage (some distance from the NVR)

Being in a rural area, we have regular power cuts. Once it’s restored, occasionally, the PoE cameras don’t automatically come back online and I either have to turn the NVR (or the switch in the garage) off and on and they come back on

However, following a power cut last night (and switching stuff off and on) none of the PoE cameras will come back online. The switch itself is powered up and the ports all have their lights flashing. The port on the NVR where these feed into isn’t lit. I can’t view them either through the app or VGA/HDMI. If I try to log on with their IP address it says it’s not responding

I’ve had a look at other similar posts but can’t seem to find anything that would help me. We’re due to go away this weekend so would obviously want to make sure all cameras are working and recording

They are all on the latest versions

Many thanks in advance

If the NVR network port is not lighting up it could be that the network port in the NVR has failed, or could be due to a connection/cable/port failure somewhere down the line.

Where does the network cable go from your NVR? Does it go direct to the PoE switch? Or does it go to a router or another switch?

Regardless, the first thing I would try is connecting different network devices (routers/switches) to the NVR network port directly with a different cable too. Connecting any live network device should get you some port lights. If no lights at all on the NVR port then it is likely that the network hardware or port in the NVR has failed.

Thanks for your reply! If I swap one of the directly plugged in cameras into the port which isn’t working / lighting up for the PoE one, it works fine. So that would suggest it’s not the port itself.

The network cable, I believe, runs direct to the PoE switch. Into that switch there is a TP Link Deco router / extender which is “broadcasting” wifi fine, so that would imply there’s no issue with a connection down to the garage.

Attached photo is of the switch showing all the ports lighting up

The only thing I can think of that is different is that we recently changed ISP and this was the first time the NVR had been shut down since. Could there be some kind of IP setting or port configuration that needs changing?

Like I said in my original post, there’s always been an issue with the PoE cameras coming back on line after a NVR switch off, but this normally resolves itself quickly - so wonder if it is more of a configuration / set up issue rather than a hardware fault.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received (and although I am fairly tech savvy, I may need idiot guide instructions)

Attachments

• IMG_9811.jpeg
    IMG_9811.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
I should also add that all the cameras have visible IR lights at night.

Hi @Chip

Can you please share a screenshot/photo of the NVR network settings?

Hi @Chip

Can you please share a screenshot/photo of the NVR network settings?
Cheers, Dan. Please see attached (I’m never sure what I should / shouldn’t share or blank out, so let me know if I need to redact anything!)

Attachments

• IMG_9836.jpeg
    IMG_9836.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9837.jpeg
    IMG_9837.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9838.jpeg
    IMG_9838.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks @Chip

Please delete the Basic Information screenshot, I don't really need this information and we don't usually recommend making public the full Hikvision serial numbers.

It's strange that you have a PoE NVR, but there are no details in the network settings for the "Internal network card IPv4 address" which is the IP address range used by the directly connected cameras (which is usually different from your local network IP range), are you accessing the NVR remotely or from the same local network as the NVR?

This is the screen from the VGA/HDMI

Attachments

• IMG_9840.jpeg
    IMG_9840.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Thanks,

So your NVRs internal PoE port IP range is different to your local IP range, this makes it unlikely that the cause of the problem is an ISP/network issue.

If your local network range were to change when you changed your ISP this would only impact the cameras NOT directly connected to the NVR and the cameras directly connected should still function fine because they are assigned IP address from that internal IP range (192.168.125.xxx) would still be the same after changing your ISP.

Cheers, Dan

I’m a little confused though - the 3 cameras that are connected directly to the NVR DO work fine. It’s the 5 via the PoE / switch which don’t; although the port lights on the PoE switch are lit and the cameras have their IR lights illuminated at night (I’m not sure if this is what you’re saying)

If you think the set up / IP addresses etc all look fine, have you any other ideas as to what it could be? We head away this weekend so am keen to try and get it fixed before we go

I wasn’t sure if the changing of ISP was the issue, but that’s the only thing that has changed since the last power outage

Thanks again, buddy!

okay,

We've obviously got crossed wires because in your original post, you said "none of the PoE cameras will come back online." which I assumed meant all the cameras were not working but you meant just the cameras on the remote PoE switch and not the ones connected to the NVR PoE ports.

In that case, the ISP change might have changed your local network range and the IP addresses that the cameras on the remote switch were set to might no longer be visible on the new network range, can you please follow either the PC or Mac guide below to confirm the current IP range of your local network?

Thanks a lot Dan - I realise I didn’t make that completely clear, so apologies

I’ve checked the IP range and it’s now 192.168.115.1 - .189

So am I right in thinking that I need to change the IP addresses for the 5 cameras via the VGA/HDMI settings to any free IP address within the range (I can ping them on my laptop to check)?

Thanks @Chip

Yes, so you will need to open Hikvision's SADP Tool on a PC/Mac on the same network as the remote PoE switch cameras and then use that tool to change the IP addresses of each camera to match the new local network range (e.g. if your cameras set to 192.168.1.3 / 192.168.1.4 / etc... you can just change them to 192.168.115.3 / 192.168.115.4 / etc... and they should be back on the local network).

What's strange is that your NVR still seems to be set to the old local network range (192.168.1.6) but based on those browser screenshots you sent earlier you are still able to login to NVR from the new local network IP range.

Do you have any andvanced network set up? (e.g. VPN, dual networks, etc...)

Hi Dan

The plot slightly thickens and I may have made a cock up… you mentioning the dual network got me thinking

Connected into the main ISP router we have an AMPLIFI mesh system. I was connected to this earlier (in the house) when I ran the ipconfig

However, having gone down the garage to open the SADP tool, I connected my laptop to the PoE switch and ran ipconfig again. This time i got the attached IP info. I then plugged my laptop directly into the NVR and I then got the (same) attached IP info - which clearly differs from what my laptop showed when connected to the main wifi network (I believe that both the NVR and PoE switch run directly from the ISP main router)

So I’m not sure where this leaves us now…. Any further suggestions are very gratefully received and apologies for the confusion

Attachments

• IMG_9844.jpeg
    IMG_9844.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9846.jpeg
    IMG_9846.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
just to add to the above - I’ve put the IP addresses back to what they were and if I connect to the switch and type an address in the browser (and log on) I can view all the cameras that way.

But still nothing via the app or HDMI

I had this problem as well, and the issue was this:

At the camera boot it draws heck of a lot more current than after 2 seconds after it idealize.
It could be with power regain all cameras will want to suck that power so hard it just crash switch or cameras enter some hibernating state because lack of power.

And once you plug them 1 by one, you are not pushing system to limit.

If that's the case you can test it yourself buy unplugging switch power supply and plugging back. It also should not work. But unplugging cameras 1 by one and plugging back will work.

Solution for this is to get PoE switch with more power.

Back