01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using Hikvision POE to power up a Ubiqiti Access Point?

pardonsamson

I have a 4 port Hikvision POE Switch, I want to use it to power up my Access Points to provide internet in my office. I have powered the Hikvision POE switch normally and it uses a 48V Power adapter, but when I plug in My access point from the Switch Port, the access point doesn't Power on. What might be the problem to this?

Can you let us know the model numbers please?
Is the AP that you are powering IEEE802.3 compliant?
Also, how much power does the AP need?
Is the POE switch rated to provide that much power (per port)?

As @Phil says, you would need to tell people the exact make/models of the PoE switch and Access Points.

Modern PoE uses "Active" PoE meaning the devices communicate with each other (handshake) to determine what voltage/protocol are supported before supplying any power.

Older devices may use "Passive" PoE meaning no handshake, the device supplying power will just output a constant voltage. This means you have to be very careful what you connect to the other end because it could be damaged if it is not designed to take the voltage.

If your Access Points need a passive PoE voltage input to work then you may be able to configure a port on the switch to output a passive PoE voltage (if it is a managed switch and if the switch supports that function). But you would need to check the output/input voltage/specifications of both devices.

Can you let us know the model numbers please?
Is the AP that you are powering IEEE802.3 compliant?
Also, how much power does the AP need?
Is the POE switch rated to provide that much power (per port)?
The POE Switch Model Number is DS-3E0105P-E/M(B) and the Access point that am talking about is the LBE-5AC-Gen2 (Litebeam)

The Ubiquiti AP is 24V and the specs say it's Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return) with a max power of 7W.

But the switch is an unmanaged switch meaning there is no web interface or configuration possible, so it can't output passive PoE. You would need another switch which is capable of configuring a port to 24V passive PoE.

Thanks @codlord
If you have a minute to spare, any suggestions on this one please?
(I'm all out of suggestions - unless SADP feedback does eventually provide further clues)

Thanks

The Ubiquiti AP is 24V and the specs say it's Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8 Return) with a max power of 7W.

But the switch is an unmanaged switch meaning there is no web interface or configuration possible, so it can't output passive PoE. You would need another switch which is capable of configuring a port to 24V passive PoE.
Thank you for your insight on this. Let me look fo a managed switch, do the configurations and find out how it goes. I'll be back with feedback on this. Thank you!

Thank you for your insight on this. Let me look fo a managed switch, do the configurations and find out how it goes. I'll be back with feedback on this. Thank you!
What you could also use is a step down which will reduce the 48v to 24v 0.5A and the device for indoor use is INS-3AF-I-G and INS‑3AF‑O‑G outdoor use

What you could also use is a step down which will reduce the 48v to 24v 0.5A and the device for indoor use is INS-3AF-I-G and INS‑3AF‑O‑G outdoor use
Thanks for your Comment. I had no idea of this, So if I use a Step Down Device, will my Litebeam AC power up and work? I'm trying to use my unmanaged Switch to power up my Access Point?

I dont see why not, I use steps downs alot

Litebeam AC
Power supply24V, 0.3A Gigabit PoE adapter (Included)
Max. power consumption7W

I also have another finding am trying to understand. I have heard of a reverse POE Switch which doesnt rely on your own power as an ISP to power up the switch, rather you use power from the clients side to power up your switch. So even if you as an ISP when you dont have power on your side the devices will still power on and continue to work as normal. Now on this reverse POE switch theres a DC output which can power up an extenal device through normal DC pin. So my querry is, I have an extenral router which uses a pin to power up, the only problem is that this router needs at least 48V to be powered up, so is there any way to boost or step up the 12V provided by the Reverse POE switch to 48V to help me power up the external Router? And if Yes, whats the best Step up device should I use? Kindly any assistance to this is highly appreciated.

I also have another finding am trying to understand. I have heard of a reverse POE Switch which doesnt rely on your own power as an ISP to power up the switch, rather you use power from the clients side to power up your switch. So even if you as an ISP when you dont have power on your side the devices will still power on and continue to work as normal. Now on this reverse POE switch theres a DC output which can power up an extenal device through normal DC pin. So my querry is, I have an extenral router which uses a pin to power up, the only problem is that this router needs at least 48V to be powered up, so is there any way to boost or step up the 12V provided by the Reverse POE switch to 48V to help me power up the external Router? And if Yes, whats the best Step up device should I use? Kindly any assistance to this is highly appreciated.
I dont think its possible to increase 12v to 48v unless using a 48v powers supply to begin with, what you could do is request the clients on the switch use a 48v power supply or you could use a ethernet port on the switch with two 48v poe adaptors with one adaptor moded with a dc connector to plug into the external router

Back