01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Poe switches. Will this work?

Jack92

Hi all,

I am quite new to all this and want to expand my knowledge with some home projects.

I have a talk talk router. I am planning to connect the router to one of the 4 ports on a Unifi switch flex mini, which will be next to each other. The switch will be powered by a USB C wall socket.

I have a Ethernet port on the wall next to my router which runs outside of the house up to a bedroom. I will plug an Ethernet out of the POE switch into the port downstairs which will give me internet to the port in the bedroom upstairs.

So basically at this point, the downstairs switch is giving internet and POE to a Ethernet port in a bedroom.

I then plan to add another POE switch (will also be powered by wall socket) to this port upstairs and run 1 cat 6 to another POE switch in the loft to power 4 Hikvision IP cameras. This POE will not be hard wired and hoping it will be powered by POE?

Can anyone advise if this will work please? I am thinking that due to the Poe switches being powered that POE cameras will power up with no issues?

Is there a limit of daisy chaining POE switches for power? For example could the switch in the loft that is powered by POE also power another switch in a different location?

Many thanks

Jack

Is there a limit of daisy chaining POE switches for power? For example could the switch in the loft that is powered by POE also power another switch in a different location?
Hi Jack,
I don't think this will work in the way that you want, the power requirements would easily exceed the PoE spec and that of the Cat6 cable conductors. You'll probably need to get mains power to the PoE switch supplying the cameras.

David

Thanks David. I had the same feeling but thought I’d ask to see.

As long as all of the POE switches are powered by mains I am presuming that will work fine then? And if I was to daisy chain around 3 switches, all of the devices should connect to my network ok?

Many thanks,

Jack

As long as all of the POE switches are powered by mains I am presuming that will work fine then?
Yes, it'll be ok, check that the PoE switch supplying the cameras has enough PoE power to supply all the cameras. I usually make sure each PoE switch port is PoE+, overkill in some places but allows for future expansion.

And if I was to daisy chain around 3 switches, all of the devices should connect to my network ok?
Give some thought to the max data bandwidth your LAN network will be carrying and add some for expansion. I use 1GB switch uplink interfaces between switches. The other switch ports are 100MB, more than enough for me.

Hi all,

I am quite new to all this and want to expand my knowledge with some home projects.

I have a talk talk router. I am planning to connect the router to one of the 4 ports on a Unifi switch flex mini, which will be next to each other. The switch will be powered by a USB C wall socket.

I have a Ethernet port on the wall next to my router which runs outside of the house up to a bedroom. I will plug an Ethernet out of the POE switch into the port downstairs which will give me internet to the port in the bedroom upstairs.

So basically at this point, the downstairs switch is giving internet and POE to a Ethernet port in a bedroom.

I then plan to add another POE switch (will also be powered by wall socket) to this port upstairs and run 1 cat 6 to another POE switch in the loft to power 4 Hikvision IP cameras. This POE will not be hard wired and hoping it will be powered by POE?

Can anyone advise if this will work please? I am thinking that due to the Poe switches being powered that POE cameras will power up with no issues?

Many thanks

Jack
I have quite a few of those minis in my home setup. So you can power the Unifi mini with POE. But you cannot power POE cameras with those. If you want to be able to do that and you want to stick with Uifi then you would need to look for something else like the USW-Flex. This can be powered by POE and provide POE. But you need to make sure you are providing enough power to that to then power other items. Hope that helps you

Back