01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replace iVMS4200 with Security Spy?

saunders1989

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Has anyone replaced IVMS4200 with the application security spy?

I only ever used IVMS4200 on my Mac to view / download clips if and when needed. Since updating to macOS Sequoia and having a M2 Max chip that application doesn't work anymore.

In short of buying parallels to run windows just to view the cameras. does anyone have any tips / how to setup security spy? I have tried adding my IP of my NVR but seems it doesn't work. I know the IP address is correct as i can access that IP in the browser and login with its details.

I have stream encryption on for my feeds and I don't have any ports open or forwarding any ports. I can view my cameras on my phone using HikConnect all okay.

Hi @saunders1989

See this recent post from another Mac user on their experience of using SecuritySpy:

hi @Dan

Thanks for that. however it seems he has opened ports on his router which i would love to avoid. i get the whole hikconnect thing being open and could put behind firewall etc. i would just like to avoid opening ports to the outside world.

Hi @Dan

Sorry for the bombardment but i wonder if my issue actually is to do with me updating my NVR because in IVMS4200 my NVR is apparently offline. would i need to create a new question to figure out why its offline? if I open the sadp tool it does not find my NVR at all.

I am not connected to the NVR directly via a ethernet cable but i am on the same wifi network.

1727260361723.png

hi @Dan

Thanks for that. however it seems he has opened ports on his router which i would love to avoid. i get the whole hikconnect thing being open and could put behind firewall etc. i would just like to avoid opening ports to the outside world.
See this guide from SecuritySpy/BenSoftware on how to set up remote access without port forwarding.

Hi @Dan

Sorry for the bombardment but i wonder if my issue actually is to do with me updating my NVR because in IVMS4200 my NVR is apparently offline. would i need to create a new question to figure out why its offline? if I open the sadp tool it does not find my NVR at all.

I am not connected to the NVR directly via a ethernet cable but i am on the same wifi network.

View attachment 11686
In the past, we have seen all kinds of strange behaviour from Hikvision software when connected via WiFi so we would recommend having a hard-wired connection to the same local network as the NVR.

But I will say that we have seen increasing problems with the Hikvision software on Macs running the latest OS and with the latest M1/M2 chips, so you will likely continue to see problems accessing Hikvision from a Mac and the best long-term solution might be SecuritySpy.

I have a linksys mesh network and one of my nodes is hardwired to the NVR. i have just restarted my router and have it showing as online. however the sadp tool and ivms4200 all saying its offline

Hi @saunders1989

You mentioned seeing these issues after updating to macOS Sequoia, this could be the issue.

We have seen reports of issues with iVMS-4200 from Mac users running some of the latest OS versions that we haven't been able to replicate on older Macs running older OS versions.

This forum user with an M1 Mac said they were able to install Hik-connect on their Mac instead of using iVMS-4200:

Would this still be the case if (ive already got sadp tool and ivms4200 installed) and sadp tool and ivms4200 cant find my nvr online even though i can view the cameras on hik connect and can access it via the ip address. i think my biggest issue before being able to move to another application is understand why my nvr is "offline" but accessible.

I am on the same network and can hit the nvr via its IP but this is what is being shown on the sapd tool
1727262289136.png

Would this still be the case if (ive already got sadp tool and ivms4200 installed) and sadp tool and ivms4200 cant find my nvr online even though i can view the cameras on hik connect and can access it via the ip address. i think my biggest issue before being able to move to another application is understand why my nvr is "offline" but accessible.

I am on the same network and can hit the nvr via its IP but this is what is being shown on the sapd tool
View attachment 11687

If everything had been working fine before you updated the OS and you were accessing the NVR the same way (e.g. via WiFi) before updating the OS, then yes it is likely the OS update that has broken things.

Hikvision Mac software (iVMS-4200 and SADP) has not been updated for years, so as the MacOS has progressed the Hik software has stagnated and with Apple introducing more security requirements & software developer changes the Hikvision software has become less and less supported.

Hi @Dan

Can you confirm these settings are correct? preferred dns is my local IP e.g 12.45.1.195 and alternate is 8.8.8.8

View attachment 11688
Those DNS details usually work fine, but sometimes users can see issues using their local IP address so we do often default to using the Google DNS servers - Preferred: 8.8.8.8 / Alternate: 8.8.4.4

Hi @Dan

I have another mac laptop and have just installed sadp tool onto that. I can confirm that the tool sees my NVR as online. I guess i will have to try and persevere in getting security spy setup although it is not going very well at the moment.

Just a wild guess, that might apply.....
  • SADP uses Multicast packets
  • many home routers, like Linksys, by default, block Multicast packets on the Wireless side of your home network
  • this "might" apply in your case (or not)...... so look for a Filter or Block Multicast setting in your router's firmware & disable the blocking feature (it all depends on the router's specific firmware you're running & it's default settings)
  • attached is a screenshot of a very old Linksys router I have with the blocking feature ENABLED..... you'll want to DISABLE it
Block Multicast 1.png

Reactions: Dan
Hi @sportster Thanks for the tip but unfortunately that filter multicast flag is disabled already.

the sadp tool was able to find my NVR online on an older version of mac os. so this issue is very much likely to be a Sequoia upgrade issue and just general mac not working well with hikvision tools.

I'm hoping i can setup security spy so i can get away from ivms4200

Understood.

From the earlier posts, it sounded like the SADP issue might ONLY be on the Wireless side of your network, and NOT on the wired side of your home network. Which prompted my suggestion. So much for my wild guess. :)

A PC with the Wireshark tool, inserted into your network, might confirm whether the SADP Multicast packets are being broadcast into your network from your MAC, as expected, or not.

Anyway, hope you can get it sorted. Carry on.

I agree it did sound like that as I couldn’t work out why nothing was being found. I appreciate the guesses because I doubled checked after you mentioned it so worth checking everything.

Thank you. I hope so too

Back