01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Rj45 to cat6 balun

Speddo

I've replaced all my old analogue cctv cameras with ip cameras and pulled cat6 cables through to replace the existing coax and power cables but there's one that's impossible to replace. I need to run one camera through coax and have tried using a pair of coax to cat6 balun but it doesn't work. I've tried 3 different sets but none of them work. The power lights on the back of the NVR don't come on at all. I've tried putting 12 vdc directly to the camera while it's connected through the balun but that doesn't work either. Does anyone have any further advice please? Thanks

Are you sure that you are using appropriate ethernet over co-ax converters?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure. This is what I've tried
20220704_185043.jpg

Upvote 0
I can't quite make out the make and model from the photo.
Generally speaking the term balun is used for a gadget that allows you to use a say twisted-pair or network cable instead of co-ax.
They tend to be fairly cheap.

Unfortunately, the converter that you need for using co-ax cable for ethernet is a more expensive / complex gadget.
We offer the Veracity Highwire products:
Veracity HIGHWIRE Ethernet Over Coax Device VHW-HW

If you search Highwire in our webshop you'll see there are a number of versions and options.

You may be able to find a more cost-effective brand / device via Google etc.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help and explanation. Yes they were cheap so I'm sure that you're right that they're not suitable for the job. I'll look into the type of device that you recommend and decide if it's worthwhile spending the money on them. I assume that I'll need to buy one for each end of the coax?

Upvote 0
Back