01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Selecting a camera/lens for replacing a Ring floodlight camera?

Nabbster0098

Hi I am hoping for some help. I am currently switching away from the ring doorbell and floodlight cam.

I have successfully installed the reolink POE doorbell that I am very happy with.

The floodlight camera replacement on the other hand is disappointing.

I have replaced it with a full colour POE ip camera that has a 2.8mm lens.
It just doesn't compare field of view wise.
I enclose a screen shot of both to compare.

Is there a POE full colour camera with a comparable field of view?
Or at least some lens spec to look out for?

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240921_175858.jpg
    Screenshot_20240921_175858.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240921_175830_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240921_175830_Photos.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Thanks @Nabbster0098

I just wanted to check the specs of that model because 2.8mm is just the focal length measurement and this doesn't translate to exactly the same FoV on every camera.

The specs for the Ring floodlight camera say that it will deliver a horizontal FoV of 140° and the Empiretech camera will deliver a horizontal FoV of 102°.

140° is pretty much the widest FoV you can achieve with a 2.8mm focal length and is actually on the border of a fisheye lens, that is why you can see quite a lot of warping and bending in the image from the Ring camera.

There are very few professional 2.8mm cameras that we sell that have a FoV that is this wide, if we were to recommend a full-colour camera we would probably recommend the DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU 4MP Hybrid Light Turret camera which has a horizontal FOV of 111.1°

Although this won't give as wide an image as the Ring camera, it is wider and higher resolution than the Empiretech camera so you will get better images than that model.

Thanks. The Ring was.mich wider than needed so that won't be an issue. It's just that I was able to see the doors to the property and also see in general what's happening in the garden. Thanks again. Do I close threads on here?

Reactions: Dan
You're welcome :)

No need to close the thread, we'll leave it open in case any other users have feedback/recommendations that might help you.

Back