01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

SSD or HDD NVR?

gitsui

Hello

We had cameras installed last year and although the chap is quite knowledgeable he isn't sure on some things.

I have accusense cameras that are recording onto local memory cards. However I've been informed that to use the human and vehicle identification features I would need an NVR.

Now my first question is that the NVR would go in our front room and I am concerned by the noise volume so have been looking into an SSD rather than HDD NVR, am I correct in this?

Secondly, because we have six cameras set up I am concerned that the standard 2 terabyte drive on the 8 channel NVR, won't be enough and I wondered if it easy enough to swap out the two terabyte with a 10 terabyte or add a 8 terabyte with existing 2 terabyte to give me 10 in total?

The reason for large capacity requirement is that we have the cameras set up for continuous recording where we've had trouble with people just appearing where the motion capture didn't pick them up.

Hi @gitsui, please see the answers to your questions below :)

I have accusense cameras that are recording onto local memory cards. However I've been informed that to use the human and vehicle identification features I would need an NVR.
This isn't true - if they are indeed Acusense cameras, then you will be able to use the human and vehicle detection and still record to the memory cards - the technology is all built into the cameras so you just need to log into them in a web browser and you should see human / vehicle tick boxes on your event settings pages. There's a common misconception that you need Acusense NVRs to get the AI detection features, but these actually just add Acusense to cameras that don't have it built-in. But, an NVR will allow you to manage all of the cameras together and have more storage capacity.

Now my first question is that the NVR would go in our front room and I am concerned by the noise volume so have been looking into an SSD rather than HDD NVR, am I correct in this?
The eNVR (SSD) models will definitely be quieter, as there are no moving components in the drives. The main complaint people have larger NVRs is the fan noise, as they are always spinning. The eNVRs have a 'smart fan' which will only only come on when it hits 30°C. So, provided it's not in a hot room and there is space around it, it should be pretty much silent.
However, if you can live with the noise or store it somewhere out of earshot, we still recommend using the DS-7608NI-M2/8P for any new system, as they are much more capable and have lots of bandwidth.
The eNVRs are limiting as they are only compatible with 4MP or lower and do not have much bandwidth at all (60Mbps), we recommend allowing for at least 10Mbps if you have Acusense cameras, and more if they're high-resolution models too.

Secondly, because we have six cameras set up I am concerned that the standard 2 terabyte drive on the 8 channel NVR, won't be enough and I wondered if it easy enough to swap out the two terabyte with a 10 terabyte or add a 8 terabyte with existing 2 terabyte to give me 10 in total?
I'm afraid not, Hikvision have told us that the SSDs are soldered in and cannot be swapped, so you will need to purchase a model with HDD bays if you want 8TB or more storage.

Last edited:
Just to add to the above...
You could use your own SSDs in the DS-7608NI-M2/8P which would help with the noise slightly.
However, you will still have the fan noise noise, so the SSDs will be a much more expensive option for minimal gain in this respect.

Hi @gitsui, please see the answers to your questions below :)

This isn't true - if they are indeed Acusense cameras, then you will be able to use the human and vehicle detection and still record to the memory cards - the technology is all built into the cameras so you just need to log into them in a web browser and you should see human / vehicle tick boxes on your event settings pages. There's a common misconception that you need Acusense NVRs to get the AI detection features, but these actually just add Acusense to cameras that don't have it built-in. But, an NVR will allow you to manage all of the cameras together and have more storage capacity.

The eNVR (SSD) models will definitely be quieter, as there are no moving components in the drives. The main complaint people have larger NVRs is the fan noise, as they are always spinning. The eNVRs have a 'smart fan' which will only only come on when it hits 30°C. So, provided it's not in a hot room and there is space around it, it should be pretty much silent.
However, if you can live with the noise or store it somewhere out of earshot, we still recommend using the DS-7608NI-M2/8P for any new system, as they are much more capable and have lots of bandwidth.
The eNVRs are limiting as they are only compatible with 4MP or lower and do not have much bandwidth at all (60Mbps), we recommend allowing for at least 10Mbps if you have Acusense cameras, and more if they're high-resolution models too.

I'm afraid not, Hikvision have told us that the SSDs are soldered in and cannot be swapped, so you will need to purchase a model with HDD bays if you want 8TB or more storage.
If I have accusense cameras, with human and vehicle search boxes ticked, how do I search by human/vehicle event playback on the web login?

Human & Vehicle search isn't supported by the web browser interface, so you'll need to add the camera to iVMS-4200 and you can then use the Event Playback option for searching for specific events, explained here:

You also have human and vehicle tickboxes to search for those specific targets beneath the playback timeline in the software.

Back