01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Strange HDD issue

jbertrand

Hi everyone,

I have a DS-7604NI-K1/4P (not the B version) NVR. It's been working flawlessly for 1.5 years, with the same HDD. But a few weeks ago it started to randomly beep (5 beeps) and the HDD seemed to be constantly powering up/down. No indication in the Hikvision logs as to what the cause could be.

Of course, I assumed it was a failing HDD. So I tested it extensively with SeaTools (it's a Seagate Skyhawk 6TB), and everything came back clean, except for the SCT Same Write Erase, which fails. But this seems to be a problem with the test perhaps: Seagate 3TB Hard Drive Woes).

I contacted the supplier of the NVR and got some newish firmware, which I loaded, but the same problem reappeared. I then tried a different smaller SATA drive which I had lying around (500 GB) and it's been working perfectly (no beeps).

I'm still not entirely sure if this is the NVR losing the ability to power a modern drive (capacitors?) over time, or this is the actual drive itself. I thought the Seagate surveillance drives were pretty good at constant writes from NVRs, and indeed, the drive itself does seem fine.

Any advice?

John

It's a tricky one, my hunch would be a failing PSU.
We have seen similar threads, and even mention that they tolerate WD Purple HDDs with slower spin speeds better, but that's academic.
Something has changed.
Something is failing.
If it is still in warranty I'd suggest contacting your reseller to arrange return/repair/replacement.

Thanks Phil, yes, that was my thought as well, the unit itself is losing the ability to power the drive. A bit strange, but that's the only logical conclusion. Thanks for your input.

I had the same issue with the original installed 2TB Seagate Skyhawk drive on the same NVR. I purchased the exact same HDD thinking it was the drive but I came across the same problems after a while (usually after 1 or 2 months). The symptom is a very slow spinning HDD as if it isn't being powered enough.

By failing PSU do you mean the external 48VDC power supply or the motherboard logic? I would imagine the external power supply is either working or not.

What i've done so far:
1) the NVR refused to upgrade the firmware via the online system. I manually upgraded via USB to firmware 4.30.00 and then to the latest available firmware 4.30.060 (from the hikvision european english pages).
2) In both cases, after firmware upgrade the drive was beeping again, so I restarted the NVR (a shutdown, power-off, power-on cycle).
3) I repaired the storage directory (a storage maintenance feature).

My next steps:
1) I need to wait another month or 2 (sigh!) and see what happens.
2) Earth the NVR (there's a screw on the back panel) maybe some static charge is building up over time, affecting the motherboard.
3) If it continues it's a new NVR (the Q series) and maybe use an external POE hub

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

I meant the motherboard logic. The external PSU supplying the unit I assumed was fine, since the smaller drive and other components worked. You can check it with a multi-meter as well if you have one.

I swapped the drive out for new one as well, (also 6TB) and same problem.

Ultimately, I got the vendor to replace the NVR with a DS-7608NI-K1 / 8P(B). It's been working fine with the exact same drive since September 2020.

So it's really just gradual degradation of the components on the NVR itself. Microcapacitors and so on. Thats my 2c anyway.

BTW, I dont think it's your point 2 - static charge. Given that my unit started beeping after 2 weeks of being turned on, whereas previously it worked for an entire year, in the same position, same area, would've highlighted a static issue long before.

I also thought of using an external power source for the drive, but then I thought, that would just be a hack. I'd rather have a unit which works properly to begin with.

Thanks for that,

I have the DS-7604NI-K1 / 8P(B), not too sure what the (B) stands for. It's in a rack connected to a UPS so no risk of power surges. All cameras are POE powered by the NVR using shielded cat5E cables.

To be reassured, I earthed the chassis but hope the firmware upgrade solved the issue.

Otherwise it will be a deep dive into understanding the differences between the multitude of NVRs, the K series seem to offer better decoding rates than the new Q series.

Back