01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Tablet for Hikvision viewing at home?

Dave Howard

What are people using for viewing HIK nvr (Wi-Fi at home) with few issues?

Trusty old iPad has died. We had this on as viewing panel (with iVMS) so we can always see main 4 cctv at glance (We’ve 8 total).
We use HIK-connect on other iPad/android phones but more as reactive thing and when away from base.
Attaching to tv not really practical as NVR and all cabling from cameras in loft (although happy to hear views on this).

Looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 as cheaper option than iPad but before placing order I thought I’d ask the crowd what you do?

thanks in advance for advice/experience.

What are people using for viewing HIK nvr (Wi-Fi at home) with few issues?
I'm using the cheap option...Amazon Fire HD. I've three 10" and one 8" and while I wouldn't have one as a tablet for everyday use , they're great for display. I'm a little obsessed with the smart home and have pretty much everything automated with Z Wave etc. The Fire HDs act as wall mounted dashboards around the house for manual control when needed (even though most things are automated) and control of music/viewing CCTV.

The Fire HDs are a no brainer due to the cost (especially when there's a prime day or black friday event)

I'm using the cheap option...Amazon Fire HD. I've three 10" and one 8" and while I wouldn't have one as a tablet for everyday use , they're great for display. I'm a little obsessed with the smart home and have pretty much everything automated with Z Wave etc. The Fire HDs act as wall mounted dashboards around the house for manual control when needed (even though most things are automated) and control of music/viewing CCTV.

The Fire HDs are a no brainer due to the cost (especially when there's a prime day or black friday event)
Is it just a straight load or ‘magic’ needed to side load Hik-Connect on to them?

thanks for reply and thoughts

Is it just a straight load or ‘magic’ needed to side load Hik-Connect on to them?

thanks for reply and thoughts
It's straight forward now. Previously it would've needed to be loaded from the Google Play Store or directly using an apk download as it wasn't on the Fire App Store. Since Android downloads are now direct from 'appstore.hikvision.com' you just download it directly from there and 'allow unknown apps' when prompted.

Interesting ...
Could you share some info on wall-mounts and how you power these please?

Interesting ...
Could you share some info on wall-mounts and how you power these please?
Fire HDs are so ridiculously light weight that if they’re going to be semi permanent a bit of self adhesive Velcro will hold them. Other options are to use mountable corners that the tablet slides into. The slickest (IMHO) option is to use the custom ‘made by Mike’ mounts (I’ll add a link when I find it). They sit in the wall and can be ordered with different power options (USB adaptor, 12V adaptor etc) that are concealed behind the tablet. All you see is the bezel and they have options too. You can get gloss white, Matt white, paintable mdf, walnut, beech etc.

Going back to the easy ‘stick it to the wall’ option you can still do the power neatly. For the older models I’ve fitted a USB C adaptor that doubles back behind the tablet. On the HD+ I’ve centred and recessed a basic Qi charging pad behind the tablet so nothing is visible.

They’re not the greatest tablet and don’t aim to be but at Prime day or Black Friday you can get a HD8+ for £70. The thought of spending 2 grand plus for 4 iPads wasn’t a conversation I wanted to have with my wife!

Edit: the in wall mounts for Fire and iPad are at Comprehensive Device Mounting Systems & Custom Mount Design | Makes by

If using an iPad or Amazon fire, does it always remain on providing I set the settings accordingly? Or does it have to b hard wired into the device?

If using an iPad or Amazon fire, does it always remain on providing I set the settings accordingly? Or does it have to b hard wired into the device?
If it's powered (connected to charger) and the Hik-Connect app is running; the screen will remain on permanently.

Ive been advised that iPad won’t work as the Hikvision app times out after 60 seconds. So need a monitor with a hdmi input so it gives a live hard wired feed.

Ive been advised that iPad won’t work as the Hikvision app times out after 60 seconds. So need a monitor with a hdmi input so it gives a live hard wired feed.
That’s incorrect. It will only timeout if you are viewing the system using Hik-Connect login. As the tablet will be connected to the same local network as your NVR, you simply need to add it to the Hik-Connect app manually using IP/Domain with its local address - 192.168.?.?. You can still login to your Hik-Connect account as well to get notifications, but you will view the video using the local IP address to avoid the Hikvision imposed streaming timeout.

That’s incorrect. It will only timeout if you are viewing the system using Hik-Connect login. As the tablet will be connected to the same local network as your NVR, you simply need to add it to the Hik-Connect app manually using IP/Domain with its local address - 192.168.?.?. You can still login to your Hik-Connect account as well to get notifications, but you will view the video using the local IP address to avoid the Hikvision imposed streaming timeout.
So I still view through the Hikvision app but I have to use the ip domain? How exactly do I do that ie where do I put the domain address into the app? Thanks

So I still view through the Hikvision app but I have to use the ip domain? How exactly do I do that ie where do I put the domain address into the app? Thanks
You just add the site to the app:
  • Click + in the top right corner
  • Select manual adding
  • Select IP/Domain
  • In the pop up set a name, enter admin for username, enter the NVR admin password and enter the local IP address of the NVR
That’s it

Ok thank you. I will try this once I get it installed this week and let you know if it worked for me.

Does it eat a lot of data given that it’s connected via the app at all times instead of it being hard wired through a monitor, which wouldn’t require any data?

Ok thank you. I will try this once I get it installed this week and let you know if it worked for me.

Does it eat a lot of data given that it’s connected via the app at all times instead of it being hard wired through a monitor, which wouldn’t require any data?
Because the tablet is connected to your WiFi along with the NVR, you're using no mobile data at all, as the camera views are streamed locally. It's consuming some of of the NVRs outgoing bandwidth allocation but you would struggle to reach that. I have four tablets around the house viewing a single camera at 720P, 12 frames per second. When your Hik-Connect app is in a multiscreen view it'll be displaying the lower resolution sub stream of your camera so will use very little of the recorders outgoing bandwidth.

Very useful and makes total sense! So I’m assuming the tablet is not connected to the nvr by wire. The nvr I am told will be kept in the loft, with the screen in the main living room.

Also, any particular tablets u recommend or will anything work? I’m thinking either an iPad or something as slim as profile, no more than 10-12 inch screen. Don’t want it to overpower the room as already have an 65 inch tv lol.

Very useful and makes total sense! So I’m assuming the tablet is not connected to the nvr by wire. The nvr I am told will be kept in the loft, with the screen in the main living room.

Also, any particular tablets u recommend or will anything work? I’m thinking either an iPad or something as slim as profile, no more than 10-12 inch screen. Don’t want it to overpower the room as already have an 65 inch tv lol.
iPads are obviously great performance wise. In the main I'm all in for Apple - iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch Ultra, Apple TV 4K, HomePod Minis. I just use Amazon Fire HD tablets as they're cheap (my god iPads are expensive). I have them stuck to the wall and only use them for my smart home dashboard (which uses an Android app not available in iOS). I've used them on other jobs where a four way multiscreen is permanently displayed - not sure how well they would cope with larger number multi screens.

I was looking to replace my Fire HDs at some point as they're on an old version of Android and I want something a bit snappier. I'm looking at the Lenovo Tab M10 3rd Gen. They're good value at the moment on Amazon at £139.50 and are well spec'd

I just need it for a 4 camera system or potentially 5. I guess I can split screen to just 4 cameras even if I have 5 cameras, with obviously 1 camera not showing on the screen.

Back