01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Unable to Notify Surveillance Center (HikConnect) for ONVIF motion detection?

nathanb

I have a 3rd party ONVIF camera that has motion detection capabilities. It's successfully added to an NVR channel, and all functionality works.
Within the camera app, I have motion detection enabled, and in my NVR (DS-7608NI-I2/8P) I can select "Basic Event" > "Motion". However, even though on the NVR I can see events, I do not get notifications in HikConnect app. If I try and tick the "Notify Surveillance Center" in linkage, and hit save, I get an "invalid operation" popup when using web, "setting failed" when on the NVR.

This used to work fine, but something has changed, and no longer get HikConnect notifications presumably because the NVR isn't forwarding to Hik platform. I have a second camera (same model) that works fine. Any thoughts?

I tried rebooting camera, and NVR. I have enabled/disabled motion settings on the camera. I have changed IP address on camera and re-added to NVR. Definitely feels like it's on the NVR side, but as there are no details in the error message or a detailed log for diagnosis, I'm stuck.

One question for my understanding, is the NVR doing any motion detection or it simply relays the event from the camera (assuming the ONVIF camera is sending events).

Last edited:
I have a second camera (same model) that works fine. Any thoughts?
Are both cameras using the same CODEC?
Sometimes the advanced CODECS e.g. h.265/+ can cause limitations.

Are both cameras using the same CODEC?
Sometimes the advanced CODECS e.g. h.265/+ can cause limitations.
Hey Phil, I read that observation on a similar post so did check. These cameras only support h.264

AFAIK there is no distinction between what camera channels are able to do on your NVR model.
So, all being equal, you should be able to set both cams to do the same.

Are both cameras using the same firmware?
Are both cameras hard-wired?
(no wifi, powerline adapters, or similar)

AFAIK there is no distinction between what camera channels are able to do on your NVR model.
So, all being equal, you should be able to set both cams to do the same.

Are both cameras using the same firmware?
Are both cameras hard-wired?
(no wifi, powerline adapters, or similar)
I tell porkies. I just went to go double check the cameras and while they are same manufacture and product line, they're slightly different models so have different firmware. The one that stopped working did have a firmware update last month, but I did not notice hikConnect notifications had stopped working at the time.

I did just try factory resetting the camera, and adding it back to the NVR, but same errors. I can only assume something has changed in the firmware causing the NVR to trip. Why this puzzles me is that clearly event notification still works from camera to NVR, so any issue with HikConnect (Surveillance Centre settings) should be on the NVR/Hik side only. Odd.

Back