01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Using WiFi extenders with IP cameras?

poppy

I have a long range POE IP camera network, which works well. I was wondering whether it is possible to place a WiFi extender on the end of this cable to pick up a wi-fi signal off a camera. Would you need two WiFi bridges or would one be enough to pick up the cameras signal. My ethernet cable runs to my NVR, will it register a WiFi signal from the camera.
Thanks

I have a long range POE IP camera network, which works well. I was wondering whether it is possible to place a WiFi extender on the end of this cable to pick up a wi-fi signal off a camera. Would you need two WiFi bridges or would one be enough to pick up the cameras signal. My ethernet cable runs to my NVR, will it register a WiFi signal from the camera.
Thanks
It should be possible, you'll need an wifi Access Point (AP) connected to the end of your ethernet cable. That is the start of your wifi link.

At the end of your wifi link will the camera use its own wifi aerials? Post the camera model number.

What is the distance between the start of the wifi link and the end? This is the Line of Sight (LoS)

Can the aerials at the start and end of your wifi link "see" each other clearly? Large trees or bushes etc can give problems.

Will the wifi link be dedicated to the camera (best option) or will other users be able to connect to it?

David

Back