01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Which NVR to use with 4 x 8mp Hikvision cameras - DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU?

rhino335

Hi

I have searched but am unable to find an up to date answer, so here goes.

I am looking to install 4 x 8mp Hikvision cameras - DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU.
I have read through several posts discussing a similar topic but nothing specific.
Which NVR would you recommend?

I understand bandwidth is the main concern but some of the other posts mention that it is also possible that certain models may not support all the functionality of the cameras.

I am thinking it may have to be the DS-7608NI-M2/8P, but it is a little expensive.

Thanks in advance.

I am thinking it may have to be the DS-7608NI-M2/8P, but it is a little expensive.
Yes that's the one you want. The additional expense will outweigh the frustration of using a lesser model that struggles to cope.

Thanks for the prompt response.

What do you think about dropping down to 4mp cameras to keep the cost down? Would it be a noticeable drop in picture quality?

Thanks for the prompt response.

What do you think about dropping down to 4mp cameras to keep the cost down? Would it be a noticeable drop in picture quality?
The 4MP and 8MP share the same 1/1.8" sensor (the older non hybrid ColorVu used a 1/1.2" sensor on the 8MP). I use both the 4 and the 8. The 4MP should be slightly better for nighttime performance but I've not noticed. If you're covering a wide area then the 8MP will have a clear advantage. Whichever you go for I'd recommend the standard 4mm lens unless you're sure you need the stupidly wide angle of the 2.8mm.

Ultimately you can use any NVR that will support the cameras and you'll only run into real issues if you are running high frame rates with their associated higher bit rates. However the decoding performance of lesser models means that it can get a bit laggy on some models when displaying multiscreen locally and also there's greater restriction on how many simultaneous images you can play back. The DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S will be slightly less in both cost and performance. At a push you could even use the DS-7608NXI-K2/8P if you're only using 4 cameras. However with the 'M' with it's 'ultra' tag you can happily run the cameras at full frame rate and maximum bit rate without seeing any issues.

Edit: Regarding Picture Quality. Both 4 and 8 will look very similar when displayed on most screens. If your display is 1080P than both are being shrunk to fit the screen as their native resolution is higher. The benefit of the 8MP is that you can use a little digital zoom when playing back (as you're not actually zooming in but just displaying the image at its native size)

Last edited:
Back