01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Zoom and Enhance recommendation

dturtill

Afternoon guys

I have been given an interesting case, I have Installed CCTV on a site but the manager is wanting to be able to take the recorded footage and zoom in to the point he can read logo's on peoples jackets (company logos not brands ).

they have stated that they have a camera (photography) that can take a large image but then they can zoom in on this.

Hi @dturtill

What sort of distance would the logos be from the camera?
What size of area does the camera need to cover when not zoomed in?

The current example that he quoted was 100 m from the camera.

the area is a hard one as it is a construction site

this is an example image that they wanted to zoom in on the branding on the jackets (i have cropped it slightly)

Attachments

• picture20210325_133215458.jpeg
    picture20210325_133215458.jpeg
    864.7 KB · Views: 185
ok, over a short distance (e.g. 10-15m in front of where this photo is taken from) you might get identifiable detail of logos if you are using a top-spec 8MP/12MP camera. Beyond that distance, there is no reasonably priced camera that would deliver any good detail when zooming in to recorded footage when the FoV (field of view) is that wide.

CCTV "zoom and enhance" on this kind of scale is still a Sci-Fi/Movie Magic concept I'm afraid.

Thanks, Dan.

I thought that would be the case but it's good to have my point of view backed up. Just out of interest what would you consider reasonably priced (if money was no object could you recommend a camera please)

The only cameras that would come close would be high-resolution box cameras that have larger format sensors. (closer to a DSLR sensor) An example would be something like Axis Q1659 20MP Network Camera which with its widest 10-22mm lens option would cost you over £6,000 (and for outdoor use you would also need a substantial outdoor housing, so probably closer to £7,000)

Something like a Dallmeier Panomera camera would probably do it, but in excess of £20K each last I looked:

I've installed a Hikvision 4k PTZ camera with 36x optical and something like 500x digital zoom. Stunning

DS-2DF6A836X-AEL

I'm in U.S. got it cheaply from a UK vendor (am I allowed to say who?)

...is what I meant. But the camera is physically
large and requires 60W PoE++ for the built-in
de-icing heater. Still stunning to zoom in *miles* away, I mean km

Back