01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Another NVR model with the mouse wheel bug

JB1970

Guru
Trusted Member
@Kyle - It might be worth mentioning to Hikvision technical (though they must surely be aware of it by now as it has been present for 6 months or more across various models of NVR and DVR). To reproduce - just pause playback and roll the mouse wheel back and forth. It should reverse frame by frame when going back-over. On some models it goes forwards whichever direction you roll the wheel. Tested with both supplied mouse and wireless (just in case there was a difference). If you were trying to get the clearest frame in a sequence to capture a number plate or persons face in footage, it's a pain.

Among others I've found this bug on:
  • DS-7604NI-K1/4P (C revision K9B2 platform) - Firmware 4.72.106_220725. Haven't tested any newer versions of firmware (it was current at the time)
  • DS-7616NI-K2/16P (original version) - Firmware 4.32.115_211129. Haven't tested any newer versions of firmware (it was current at the time). Will be able to check this model again tomorrow as I've just updated one to latest version.
  • DS-7608NXI-K2/8P (K20A9 platform) - Firmware 4.74.000_230217. I set this NVR up today and loaded the latest version direct from the product page
I'll be setting up a DS-7604NXI-K1/4P tomorrow and will add that to the list if affected. It doesn't affect I series or M series from what I've seen. It would be (mildly) interesting to know which other models (on current firmware) are affected...

Updated:
  • DS-7604NI-K1/4P (C revision K9B2 platform) - 4.72.106_220725. Haven't tested any newer versions of firmware (it was current at the time)
  • DS-7616NI-K2/16P (original version) - 4.32.115_211129. Haven't tested any newer versions of firmware (it was current at the time). Will be able to check this model again tomorrow as I've just updated one to latest version.
  • DS-7608NXI-K2/8P (K20A9 platform) - 4.74.000_230217. I set this NVR up today and loaded the latest version direct from the product page
  • DS-7604NXI-K1/4P - 4.74.000_230217. Same platform as above so all NXI K series models will be affected

Thanks @JB1970 - I have raised this with them before as I remember explaining it (with difficulty) being an issue on the K-Series firmware.

They said they would report it back to HQ, but also suggested that this was another deliberate change - this is what their HQ replied with:

"This function had been modified since V4.32. Currently, you can only go forward no matter how you scroll forward or back."
It's odd that the -I and -M series allow you to scroll forwards and in reverse using the wheel as normal if it was deliberate.

I'll revive the email chain with this extra information and try to get some more information on a fix...

"This function had been modified since V4.32. Currently, you can only go forward no matter how you scroll forward or back."

I’d love to hear a valid use case for that. I once had a colleague who could only operate a mouse upside down but I suspect that’s not too usual!

Much like the smart/normal playback switchover they [Hikvision] seem to have taken something that works and purposely broken it. I'm trying to imagine the design team meeting when someone piped up "wouldn't it be great if video could only be advanced in one direction" and everyone said "great idea lets do it" :)

Frame by frame needs to work in both directions as otherwise it's not possible to snapshot the clearest frame in a sequence. It's been working that way since I was reviewing footage on Dedicated Micros Uniplex and Time Lapse VCR 30 years ago!

Rant over - I do appreciate the time you guys take to forward these issues.

I had the same reaction, I did ask what the thinking was behind it and mentioned that there was no obvious benefit to the change, but never got an answer.

I've raised it again and explained why it's important that scrolling in both direction frame by frame works properly, so will come back with an update!

Sorry, not the best update / news, but the explanation from their HQ is that...

"It's because the feedback we collected worldwide shows that this function had a very limited number of users, which occupied too much of the NVR's resources."
What I've gathered from that is that they're trying to save processing power on the less-powerful NVRs, which is why the change has only been made to the K-Series models (normal and Acusense).

Hopefully, they'll find a way to get frame-by-frame working in reverse again, now that it's been raised...

Back