01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera & NVR model suggestions?

Nicholast

Hi We have previously been using two Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I 4K 8MP turret network camera with a Hikvision DS-7604NI-Q1/4P DVR, we were looking to put in another system only to find that we cant find the same units that we used a few months ago and we are struggling to find out the exact differences to what we think are the direct replacements are. Does anyone know the detail of the differences between the above and the following units Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-IU 8MP turret network camera with a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) and if the new units will give us a similar performance to the last units. We use these to remotely monitor machinery that is not attended at all times so the use is indoors with low levels of light when not attended and bright when attended. Appreciate any comments

Hi @Nicholast

I believe the DS-7604NI-Q1/4P is still available but only in certain global regions (e.g. this model is not sold by authorised sellers in the UK market) and the 2385G1-I has been long obsolete/end of life.

The 2386G2 is probably the closest equivalent camera model, but in regards to NVR the DS-7604NI-K1/4P has pretty much been replaced by the DS-7604NXI-K1/4P.

The problem with this combination of NVR and cameras is bandwidth, the new 8MP AcuSense cameras use a lot more bandwidth than the older 2385G1 cameras and so 2 x 2386G2 might use up all (and possibly exceed) the NVRs incoming bandwidth limit. If you are going to be using multiple 8MP AcuSense cameras we would recommend a larger DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8-channel NVR which supports more incoming bandwidth.

If the 8-channel NVR is too much and you want to stick with the smaller 4-channel NVR, you will have to step down to the 4MP version of the 2386G2 camera which is the DS-2CD2346G2-IU.

OK thanks for the advice, its great to have the links too happy to move up to the DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8 channel unit didn't appreciate the band width issue assumed as we were only using 2 cameras on the 4 camera unit it wouldn't be an issue! I am also struggling with the code extension meanings is there an idiots guide to these extensions?
The 2386G2 camera I note is not a dark fighter unit, as we turn the lights off when not in the room tending the machine the light levels can be quite low therefore we previously used a dark fighter version would we not be better still choosing a camera with this feature? have you a link to a dark fighter version.

Last edited:
Hi @Nicholast

Unfortunately, the Hikvision range is so vast and the product codes keep twisting/changing that it is hard to properly explain the product naming convention for the Hikvision products. In regards to cameras, the key things you need to know is that there are 2 main ranges - AcuSense cameras (2xx6G2) & ColorVu cameras (2xx7G2).

Within these ranges, there are 7 main styles of camera:

Turret (23x6G2/23x7G2)
Dome (21x6G2/21x7G2)
Mini Dome (25x6G2/25x7G2)
Bullet (2Tx6G2/2Tx7G2)
Mini Bullet (20x6G2/20x7G2)
Varifocal Dome (27x6G2/27x7G2)
Varifocal Bullet (26x6G2/26x7G2)

Each of these models is then available in either 4MP (2346G2), 6MP (2366G2), or 8MP (2386G2) but in most cases, we only recommend 4MP or 8MP options as not all models are available in 6MP because it is a bit of middle ground (not a noticeable improvement over 4MP but not as good as 8MP).

That should give you a basic understanding of the core of the product codes, if you want to better understand features like AcuSense, ColorVu, Live-Guard, and Hybrid Light then read the below forum threads:

The AcuSense cameras are "powered by Darkfighter" so should give a similar low light performance to the 2385G1 camera, but if you want to keep the camera in day/colour mode 24/7 you might actually want to consider a ColorVu model as these have improved lenses/sensors to achieve a much better colour image in low light.

Back