01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Pro Series with Smart Hybrid Light - Review and First impressions

JB1970

Guru
Trusted Member
The new ColorVu with Smart Hybrid light cameras are now available. As previous posts have detailed these are a hardware enhancement to the existing second generation ColorVu with AcuSense cameras, using the same G5 firmware.

First generation ColorVu and AcuSense cameras (DS-2CD2xx6G1/DS-2CD2xx7G1) using the G1 platform firmware were good, but choosing which to use was a bit of a problem. You had to decide which was more important; AcuSense or ColorVu. The two technologies were not available in the same camera. You ended up with a camera with useful false alarm filtering capabilities without night time colour, or, a 24/7 colour image where you would be plagued with false alerts, making event notifications annoying at best or completely unusable. Additionally the G1 ColorVu cameras used such a harsh white LED that they could burn a hole in your retina. The light was a bit obtrusive.

Second generation models (DS-2CD2xx7G2) using the G3 and then later G5 platform firmware were/are a huge improvement. ColorVu and AcuSense technology in one unit, so no need to decide which feature was more important. Low light performance improved further and the white LED on the camera is not so harsh, using a warmer colour temperature. Still there's a decision to be made prior to installation, as to whether the white LED light is going to be acceptable. The ColorVu models can work with the white LED disabled with a small amount of ambient or supplemental light (landscape lighting, street lighting etc). However it's difficult to know whether results will be acceptable until after the camera is installed and operational. To get around having the white LED visible through the night, some users are keeping the LED switched off and having the LED illuminate only on event. The image before and after the event is likely to be under exposed.

Enter the new Smart Hybrid Light models (DS-2CD2xx7G2H-LIU).... The new Smart Hybrid models try to get around the issues above by including both infra red and white LED illumination. The camera can operate in 'IR Supplement Light' mode (switching from colour to monochrome during darkness using the infra red illuminator), 'White Supplement Light' mode (staying in colour and using the white LED if needed/enabled) or 'Smart' mode. In Smart mode the camera will operate in colour during the daytime, switch to monochrome and use the infra red during darkness, but importantly will revert to Colour and use the white LED when an event is detected. The early information prior to release indicated that Smart mode would be triggered by 'perimeter' events and I thought that maybe the feature would be restricted to Line Crossing or Intrusion events. It does however work with all events including motion detection.

I've installed one of the 8 megapixel turret models - the DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU (4mm) to replace an older 5 series (Ultra) DS-2CD5A46G0-IZHS. The 4 megapixel 5 series has been a good camera but it lacks a microphone and AcuSense. I've installed this in the back garden where there is no ambient light whatsoever.

The camera came with the latest firmware 5.7.13_230504 (they often arrive one or two versions behind current). Out of box settings are standard for the G5 range and need changing:

Hybrid Initial Exposure.png

Hybrid Initial Settings.png

I set Exposure time to 1/50sec to help avoid motion blur. I switched to H265, Video Quality 'Higher', Max Bitrate 16,384 (it doesn't need to be so high but the M series NVR will do that for all of my cameras without issue)

The images below show the additional options in the menu for the modes. As shown, you can alter the levels of the infra red and white LED illuminator separately:

Hybrid Supplement Ligh Modes.png

Hybrid Supplemental Light 2.png

The image below was taken with my iPhone 12 Pro (exposure 1/15 sec) and shows the scene, one hour after sunset from the perspective of the camera. It's fair to say there's not much ambient light:

230707_2246 Actual.JPG

Without an event active, with the camera using Infra Red. The camera provides a well exposed image with no obvious darker corners/vignetting. Surprisingly the illumination is better than the previous Ultra series camera. I say surprisingly, as the Ultra camera had dual high and low level infra red LED's:

230707_2245 Auto Hybrid IR.jpg

After triggering a motion event, the camera switches into Colour Mode and uses the white LED illuminator. As well as facilitating the exposure, the activation of the white LED is a good visual deterrent:

230707_2247 Auto Hybrid Colour.jpg

Again the image is well exposed edge to edge, with no obvious darkening in the periphery of the image.

The switching from infra red to colour is almost instantaneous following the event trigger - around a second. I have a security light (disabled for this test) that usually provides illumination if someone were to come into the garden. It's important to note, that while the security light provides great illumination and would switch a standard camera back into colour; that switchover takes 5 seconds as the filtering time cannot be reduced below that on any Hikvision camera. When I had an intruder in the garden a few years ago, they triggered the security light after climbing over the fence on the left of the image. However the camera didn't switch to colour until they'd walked across the field of view and were on the deck behind the garage. This Hybrid light model would've switched immediately, providing useful colour detail.

I've one issue with the camera and just to be very clear, this affects ALL Hikvision cameras and is not specific to these models. When in 'Auto' mode for Day/Night, the Gain control in the exposure settings is not accessible. By default it is set to 100 to enable exposure in limited light. However having Gain set to 100 introduces a lot of noise. While the available noise reduction helps provide a decent image, using a little digital zoom reveals artefacts caused by that noise reduction which is unwanted. It is possible to get far cleaner, better detailed images by setting the camera in Day or Night mode and manually adjusting the gain to suit the required exposure. In Night mode, I increased the infra red manually and dropped the gain to 50 which provided a far cleaner image. Unfortunately as soon as you set the Day/Night switch back to Auto, Gain is restored to 100. You could get around this by using 'Scheduled" switch but that is also not much use due to changes in Sunrise/Sunset times throughout the year. 'Image Parameters Switch' in the camera menu could assist as it provides a time schedule per month, but it's still going to be a little tricky to get it right.

I've not spent a lot of time tweaking settings as yet. The summer nights aren't helping as I prefer to be in bed! Overall I think that these cameras are a huge improvement over the standard second generation ColorVu due to the flexibility they provide. I've had a few occasions when a customer wanted ColorVu even after I'd explained the negatives around the visible light; yet a few days later I get the phone call 'the light is staying on all night, can it be switched off?...' Now it's become a simple change of setting rather than a camera change.

Last edited:
brilliant. thanks a lot for the very detailed review. (nice back garden btw..)
i want to replace at least one acusense and maybe a colorvu cam cause i am missing the IR when the background lights are off.
looks like the hybrid light is delivering...

brilliant. thanks a lot for the very detailed review. (nice back garden btw..)
i want to replace at least one acusense and maybe a colorvu cam cause i am missing the IR when the background lights are off.
looks like the hybrid light is delivering...
Yeah I'm impressed with them and will be swapping out more of mine. I have a very small amount of lighting switches on in the garden normally until I go to bed. All there is is a a foot of LED strip in each of those 4 pebbled squares on the near deck, an LED strip behind the plants on the left and rear border and a few 3/4" decking LED's on the base of the rear deck benches. At 1/50 sec exposure time they're enough to switch it back into Day/Colour mode.

Nice review. I've swapped out one of my old cameras for this new model and I am very impressed. As you say, got to play around with those settings a little to get the best picture. In time I will likely replace my other cameras as having IR/hybrid is a positive step forward.

interesting, i didnt know about the gain bug, i will play around on mine and see if it's the case

on my side I got a DS-2CD3688G2T-LIZS, pretty much the same thing except varifocal and a bullet form

firmware is different, current one seem to be ipce_h_g5_en_std_5.7.51_230413, the major difference is a completely different web interface and it use HEOP 2.0 (i will take some screenshot for the curious)

2 issues that seem to be affecting me (and it look like the issue is also present on colorvu g3) is;

upload to ftp will upload one lower resolution picture on top of the configured one (1080p instead of 4k)
WDR, for me the "real" maximum value is 40, putting it to 41 look like 100, auto mode also put it to 100

so I kind of have 3 mode; off, 1 to 40 or 41+ = 100 (auto mode included)

going to include screenshot / picture when i can :)

here the web view, i will put picture later

if you want specific screen, let me know

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-08 212928.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 212928.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 213440.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 213440.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 213111.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 213111.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 213053.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 213053.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 212908.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 212908.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 212828.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 212828.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 212815.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 212815.png
    582.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Screenshot 2023-07-08 212759.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-08 212759.png
    701 KB · Views: 272
the door at the end of the walkway is about 17 meters / 55 foot from the camera, this is not close

look at the filename for light context

this is 1/60

Attachments

• IR.jpg
    IR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 253
  • NO-IR.jpg
    NO-IR.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 245
  • No-White.jpg
    No-White.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 256
  • White.jpg
    White.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 259
i didnt know about the gain bug, i will play around on mine and see if it's the case
It’s not a bug. Auto Day/Night has always worked that way. During darkness manually switch camera to ‘Night’, then manually drop gain to a low level so that it darkens the exposure. As soon as you switch back to Auto, the camera will remain in Night but ramp the gain back to 100.

The WDR thing you mentioned I’ve noticed before. Auto WDR regardless of level switches on WDR at a higher level. Again it’s not something specific to these models.

Yours is a 3 line (ultra series) camera and is not yet available in the UK.

It’s not a bug. Auto Day/Night has always worked that way. During darkness manually switch camera to ‘Night’, then manually drop gain to a low level so that it darkens the exposure. As soon as you switch back to Auto, the camera will remain in Night but ramp the gain back to 100.

The WDR thing you mentioned I’ve noticed before. Auto WDR regardless of level switches on WDR at a higher level. Again it’s not something specific to these models.

Yours is a 3 line (ultra series) camera and is not yet available in the UK.

oops your right about the ultra model, I live in Canada, your model isnt available for me, how weird is this? I would gladly get that turret for another spot but I cant

I do have a camera with gain control with auto mode, look at the filename for the model, this is showing up while night/day switch is under auto

I can change the value at night and it get properly applied

Attachments

• DS-2DE4A404IW-DE.PNG
    DS-2DE4A404IW-DE.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 119
@JB1970 Many thanks for the very thorough write-up on this new Hikvision smart hybrid camera, and for all the help & advice that you freely provide here in the forum - it is very much appreciated by everybody!

Nice write up. Do you think it being IR at night would help with the tracking of people/cars? Also at night does the camera emit a red glow (IR) or not?

Thanks

Do you think it being IR at night would help with the tracking of people/cars?
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to when you say 'tracking'. I find that in general IR illuminates more evenly and further. I've put mine in a completely dark area with no traffic nearby.

One thing I have just noticed in the specs is that while the 8MP Hybrid model uses the F1.0 aperture lens from the 8MP ColorVu it does not share the same 1/1.2" sensor; it's using the 1/1.8" sensor from the 8MP Darkfighter and so is less sensitive in ColorVu mode than the standard model. That seems a little unusual as the data sheets show that both 4 and 8MP versions use that same smaller sensor at 1/1.8"....

DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU - 4 megapixel

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 17.15.40.png

DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU - 8 megapixel

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 17.16.11.png

Also at night does the camera emit a red glow (IR) or not?

I haven't actually noticed but will check. I'm sure it will as it uses the same 850 nanometer wavelength.

Last edited:
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to when you say 'tracking'. I find that in general IR illuminates more evenly and further. I've put mine in a completely dark area with no traffic nearby.

One thing I have just noticed in the specs is that while the 8MP Hybrid model uses the F1.0 aperture lens from the 8MP ColorVu it does not share the same 1/1.2" sensor; it's using the 1/1.8" sensor from the 8MP Darkfighter and so is less sensitive in ColorVu mode.

I haven't actually noticed but will check. I'm sure it will as it uses the same 850 nanometer wavelength.

Tracking, as in being able to track for confirmation of a human inside an intrusion box for example. My streetlight isn't working at the moment and notice that unless they're really close to the door it has a hard time tracking basically pitch black. You can kind of make out the other side of the road etc but I can imagine this makes the cameras ability to use Acusense quite difficult.

I was actually thinking of just going to HeatPro but the issue there is the Optical is a drop in quality from 4K that I have now but I am wondering if I can take the 'hit' so that it 100% will track any attempt rather than it being light dependant and 'maybe' tracking something. I need it to 100% track 100% of the time. Little bit off topic (I've made another thread maybe if you could reply there, but have you personally had any experience with the HeatPros?).

Thanks

One thing I have just noticed in the specs is that while the 8MP Hybrid model uses the F1.0 aperture lens from the 8MP ColorVu it does not share the same 1/1.2" sensor; it's using the 1/1.8" sensor from the 8MP Darkfighter and so is less sensitive in ColorVu mode than the standard model. That seems a little unusual as the data sheets show that both 4 and 8MP versions use that same smaller sensor at 1/1.8"....

for my camera it's the first thing i noticed and mine is a little bit worst with an aperture of 1.2 instead of 1.0

for my use case, i needed at least 6mm and unless i missed one, my only choice was a varifocal one and i didnt want a dome

Tracking, as in being able to track for confirmation of a human inside an intrusion box for example. My streetlight isn't working at the moment and notice that unless they're really close to the door it has a hard time tracking basically pitch black. You can kind of make out the other side of the road etc but I can imagine this makes the cameras ability to use Acusense quite difficult.
Gotcha - using the dynamic analysis/rules. I'd struggle to check that in the small area that mines located but I imagine yes. As you say at greater distances the ColorVu may struggle as the contrast between the target and background area isn't as great as it would be in mono with IR. I've not tried the HeatPros but have considered them previously and understand you not wanting to drop resolution to gain more accurate detection.

JB learning a lot reading your posts! Still have more cams to buy and looks like this model is not available to me yet. I wonder if they will make it in dome fashion? I've been looking at a DS-2CD2547G2-LS 4mm for something on the narrower side of my house for a little vandal resistance but now I don't know. Also kinda liked that it was a little shorter so wouldn't be so large looking hanging from the soffit.

Looking forward to playing with some of the settings you mention in this post though on my other one which is a DS-2CD2347G2-LU.

JB learning a lot reading your posts! Still have more cams to buy and looks like this model is not available to me yet. I wonder if they will make it in dome fashion? I've been looking at a DS-2CD2547G2-LS 4mm for something on the narrower side of my house for a little vandal resistance but now I don't know. Also kinda liked that it was a little shorter so wouldn't be so large looking hanging from the soffit.

Looking forward to playing with some of the settings you mention in this post though on my other one which is a DS-2CD2347G2-LU.
What country are you located in? Hikvision manufacture models that are limited to certain markets. For instance in the UK, the ColorVu (and before that the AcuSense) turrets were only available in 4MP and above in the UK, whereas elsewhere 2MP versions were released.

Hikvision are definitely producing Hybrid light cameras in dome format. Looking at the global website there's the DS-2CD27x7G2HT-LIZS(2.8-12mm)(eF) model shown (where 'x' is 4, 6 or 8 MP). Those are domes with motorised vari-focal lens.

Edit: Those hybrid vari-focal dome models mentioned are also listed on the UK website, though don't appear to be available yet...

Last edited:
JB I'm in the US and honestly never thought to try and search HIKs main site. I purchase through an authorized reseller so for me that is mainly B&H photo over here. I had only tried searching their site for the model you listed at the top of the post. Having the cam do both IR and White LED seems to make a big difference as does image sensor size from what I have read.

When searching for things about how to do something, or what some setting means when the built in help isn't helpful, use-ip.co.uk seems to pop up all the time. So here I am.

Was actually reading another post on here about the diff between using motion and intrusion so looking forward to playing around with that as well.

JB I'm in the US and honestly never thought to try and search HIKs main site. I purchase through an authorized reseller so for me that is mainly B&H photo over here. I had only tried searching their site for the model you listed at the top of the post. Having the cam do both IR and White LED seems to make a big difference as does image sensor size from what I have read.

if you want IR and white led in a dome format from B&H with 1/1.8 sensor (there are other but with 1/3 sensor, i would not use them)

not cheap, i have one in bullet size and it work nicely

DS-2CD3788G2T-LIZSU 8MP

DS-2CD3748G2T-LIZSU 4MP

Thx ! I will read more on them later when I get home. They are in my price range though. I am just guessing that since the image sensor is the same on both, that the 4mp would yield better at night?

Back