01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Pro Series with Smart Hybrid Light - Review and First impressions

if you want IR and white led in a dome format from B&H with 1/1.8 sensor (there are other but with 1/3 sensor, i would not use them)

not cheap, i have one in bullet size and it work nicely

DS-2CD3788G2T-LIZSU 8MP

DS-2CD3748G2T-LIZSU 4MP

I think those are actually marketed by Hikvision as higher spec'd (3 line vs 2 line) The 2 line models DS-2CD2xx7G2H-LIU are denoted ColorVu by the '7' with the 'H' referring to Hybrid Light (but they're effectively still part of the ColorVu range). 3 line models have been marketed over here as 'Core Solutions' with a longer warranty and some models having additional features - 4th stream, 12V DC output (irrespective of whether 12V DC or PoE input). Those models you've linked aren't available to us in the UK. I notice that the model numbers are appended with an 8 not 7 (3xx8) as though Hikvision considers them a separate range to ColorVu maybe.

I am just guessing that since the image sensor is the same on both, that the 4mp would yield better at night?
I think in the specs the 4MP with 1/1.8" is 0.0005 lux min illumination and the 8MP with the same size sensor is 0.0007 lux. I'm not seeing the 8MP lacking in low light colour performance when compared to a 8MP ColorVu with the larger 1/1.2" sensor.

I just saw a new camera listed on Hikvision's website its Darkfighter but marked as G2H - my understanding was H means Hybrid Light and is basically used for ColorVu Smart Hybrid Light cameras. Description/specs don't mention an LED light, only IR light.

Anyone know what the difference is between this new G2H and previous G2 Darkfighter?

I just saw a new camera listed on Hikvision's website its Darkfighter but marked as G2H - my understanding was H means Hybrid Light and is basically used for ColorVu Smart Hybrid Light cameras. Description/specs don't mention an LED light, only IR light.

Anyone know what the difference is between this new G2H and previous G2 Darkfighter?

I did a little review on here a few months ago if you can find it (I'll add a link shortly). Basically its the best of everything - you have infra red and white light so you can choose to use it as a ColorVu, or as a Darkfighter but in Smart mode it'll switch from mono with IR back to Colour when an event is detected. I'll be fitting nothing else going forward....until something else arrives...

Edit: here you go:

lol just realised I'd linked the post that I was posting in doh!

Last edited:
I thought those were only ColorVu cameras that came with Smart Hybrid Light? Now they've got Darkfighter with Smart Hybrid Light as well?
That is a bit confusing now I've looked at the link - 2386 is Darkfighter, 2387 is ColorVu. I'm confused myself looking at the data sheet as to what's 'Hybrid' about it when the data sheet only lists IR as a light source. It's on the global website and not in the UK so who knows....

It's getting silly with their model codes not aligning. Using the model you posted:

2 - 2 Line
3 - Turret
8 - 8 Megapixel
6 - Darkfighter
G2 - Second generation
H - Hybrid
I - Infra Red
U - Microphone

Without L for white light I don't see how it can be Hybrid. It seems to just be a Darkfighter with the larger F1.0 aperture of the ColorVu and that'll give it much better low light performance over the previous Darkfighter - 0.0008 lux minimum illumination on the new one vs 0.003 lux of the previous. It also has a larger M16 lens mount.

I've got a couple of positions where they would work well. There's zero ambient light and I'd never want white light there. That increased sensitivity would allow an exposure time that avoided motion blur, while keeping the gain low with reduced noise.

Last edited:
Looking at that model page again @LoinKing - although the part code uses 'G2H', nowhere does it use the word 'Hybrid'

I imagine that Hikvision will say the 'H' doesn't refer to 'Hybrid' anymore but 'High Performance' or something else. On the (global) product page, if you click to filter it to 'Easy IP 4.0 with AcuSense' there are a load of new models. I guess we'll see some of them in the UK in about 6 months.....

I think maybe all G2H cameras have hybrid light, just that the sensor would be different for ColorVu. Was looking at pics of G2H Darkfighter and the LED cover now looks same as ColorVu Smart Hybrid. So maybe they just haven't updated the website to reflect Smart Hybrid light yet, considering they just launched the product.

I think maybe all G2H cameras have hybrid light, just that the sensor would be different for ColorVu. Was looking at pics of G2H Darkfighter and the LED cover now looks same as ColorVu Smart Hybrid. So maybe they just haven't updated the website to reflect Smart Hybrid light yet, considering they just launched the product.
Maybe just incorrect images. The data sheets (and the last part of the model codes) indicate infra red only. Adding white LED to it (the DS-2CD2386G2H-IU) would effectively make it the same as the DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU that we already have in the UK....

Compared the specs and it looks like G2H Darkfighter is Improved version of Darkfighter G2 with better low-light performance, but not as good as ColorVu. You're right about Hybrid Light, its not going to be there, if it were then we'll see both L & I in model name e.g. LIU instead of just IU.

As per specs, its aperture is F1.0 vs F1.4 in current Darkfighter, so should have slightly better low-light performance.

darkfighter.JPG

Hi @LoinKing @JB1970

To bring this to a close, I asked Hikvision UK support to confirm what they know about these AcuSense G2H models and what the "H" refers to.

Their response was that in the UK/EU market, the H will only refer to Hybrid Light and that these 2xx6G2H models are on the Global site and will not be coming to the UK market.

Although they did not specifically state it, I think we can take from the above that the 2xx6G2H models are not Hybrid Light and it is just a case of the "H" being used to denote different features in different global regions.

@JB1970 I'm currently deciding between Dark fighter & Smart Hybrid ColorVu. I'll be installing these cameras outside where we do normally have lights and current 4MP Dark fighter gives a pretty nice view.

I want to have 8MP cameras outside now and I'm thinking of futureproofing as well. Current Darkfighter turrets are 2-3 years old, so I think they might EOL in a year or so? Smart Hybrid ColorVu will get firmware updates for next 2-3 years at least. However, I've seen comments online of people complaining about Ghosting even during the day.

Is it because by default ColorVu cameras ship with low shutter speed? Does adjusting shutter speed to 1/50 or higher significantly reduce night time image quality? At same shutter speed, do they provide significantly better night time image than 2386 Darkfighters? because they have same sensor size 1/1.8"

However, I've seen comments online of people complaining about Ghosting even during the day.

Is it because by default ColorVu cameras ship with low shutter speed? Does adjusting shutter speed to 1/50 or higher significantly reduce night time image quality? At same shutter speed, do they provide significantly better night time image than 2386 Darkfighters? because they have same sensor size 1/1.8"
There should be no ghosting during the day. Ghosting can be a result of using WDR. WDR captures an underexposed and overexposed frame and uses elements of both to brighten shadows and provide detail in highlight areas.

If you’ve some light on a night then you should be able to set the exposure time shorter to 1/50s or 1/100s. That will help prevent motion blur.

I’m finding the mono nighttime image of the new 8MP hybrid light cam far sharper/clearer than my older 2386 Darkfighters (G3) in similar light, so wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade.

Last edited:
There should be no ghosting during the day. Ghosting can be a result of using WDR. WDR captures an underexposed and overexposed frame and uses elements of both to brighten shadows and provide detail in highlight areas.

We have lights on one side of the area. Currently I have WDR enabled otherwise image isn't nice because light on one side and dark area on other side result in darker areas being too dark. I guess I'll just pull the trigger and get one, no other way to be sure.

I’ve noticed over the last week or so that the Live Guard versions of these Hybrid light models (include speaker and strobe light alarm) are becoming available:

DS-2CD2347G2H-LISU/SL

I’m only seeing it available in 2.8mm at the moment but hopefully that’ll change….

I’ve noticed over the last week or so that the Live Guard versions of these Hybrid light models (include speaker and strobe light alarm) are becoming available:

DS-2CD2347G2H-LISU/SL

I’m only seeing it available in 2.8mm at the moment but hopefully that’ll change….
Looking at the specs for 4MP, 6MP and 8MP versions of these and sensor size is same among all three. I'll be installing this camera in an alley and was interested in 8MP to capture details at a 5-10m area. But seems like 4/6MP would perform better at night, since sensor size is same?

@JB1970 Did you check if these cameras perform better in terms of handling glare from light sources? The alley I'll be installing these in has 2x wall lights (both on same side), which cause glaring in current 4MP mini-bullet 4mm cameras. Wondering if 4/6MP would handle glare better or 8MP?

Looking at the specs for 4MP, 6MP and 8MP versions of these and sensor size is same among all three. I'll be installing this camera in an alley and was interested in 8MP to capture details at a 5-10m area. But seems like 4/6MP would perform better at night, since sensor size is same?
Yes sensor size is the same on all. 8MP has minimum illumination of 0.0008 lux, while both the 4 and 6MP variants are 0.0005 lux. Specs are good for a quick comparison but they're not that useful otherwise.

@JB1970 Did you check if these cameras perform better in terms of handling glare from light sources? The alley I'll be installing these in has 2x wall lights (both on same side), which cause glaring in current 4MP mini-bullet 4mm cameras. Wondering if 4/6MP would handle glare better or 8MP?
ColorVu cameras with an F1.0 aperture are designed to be particularly sensitive to light and so light sources in the field of view are always going to be problematic. Sure you can tinker with the settings to reduce the glare but any changes will impact the entire image. Alleys and narrow walkways are a pain anyway. In order to avoid the wall in view and the associated issues with reflection from it, the camera needs to be rotated away from the wall. Inevitably the centre of the image (and the cameras IR or white light source) ends up directed at another wall or shrubbery causing glare. For alleyways a camera with vari-focal lens is a better choice than a 90 degree wide angle lens. Corridor mode would help, but you lose AcuSense.

ColorVu cameras with an F1.0 aperture are designed to be particularly sensitive to light and so light sources in the field of view are always going to be problematic. Sure you can tinker with the settings to reduce the glare but any changes will impact the entire image. Alleys and narrow walkways are a pain anyway. In order to avoid the wall in view and the associated issues with reflection from it, the camera needs to be rotated away from the wall. Inevitably the centre of the image (and the cameras IR or white light source) ends up directed at another wall or shrubbery causing glare. For alleyways a camera with vari-focal lens is a better choice than a 90 degree wide angle lens. Corridor mode would help, but you lose AcuSense.
Looks like colorvu cameras are actually better at glare reduction: Link

I did a quick experiment today and blocked the side of light fixture facing the camera. It didn't effect light output in the area much, but it did help reduce the glare effect on camera significantly (much more so then in the link above). A possible fix might be just to install 90% window tint to the side of fixture facing camera - to significantly reduce light output from that side so that camera sensor & algorithm aren't thrown off by the bright spot.

Their response was that in the UK/EU market, the H will only refer to Hybrid Light and that these 2xx6G2H models are on the Global site and will not be coming to the UK market.

Although they did not specifically state it, I think we can take from the above that the 2xx6G2H models are not Hybrid Light and it is just a case of the "H" being used to denote different features in different global regions.
It's a shame we (the UK) are not getting these newer Darkfighters as well. I watched a video in the Hik Partner Pro app this morning regarding these models. As suspected they're IR only, but do have the F1.0 aperture lens of the ColorVu and also the super confocal technology. When compared to the current Darkfighter IR models they remain in colour longer and provide a far brighter monochrome image in complete darkness.

I've asked our team to make fresh enquiries, to see whether these models WILL be fetched to the UK ... :/

Back