01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera Position Advice

JamesBall

Looking for some advice on camera positioning on the front and side of my house for best coverage.

In the photo below marked 'A' I was thinking of using a DS-2CD2346G1-IU with a 2.8mm lens to cover the front pathway and car on the front garden.
Screenshot_20221231-100725~2.png

For the side of the house I was thinking of either two DS-2CD2346G1-IU with a 2.8mm lens in positions 'B' and 'C'. Or the same camera in position 'D' maybe a 4mm lens, for overall coverage of the road next to the house.

Screenshot_20221231-100923~3.png

The advantages I was thinking with positions B and C are they may get clearer face images as they are not pointed down so much as position D but obviously this would come with the additional cost of requiring two cameras.

For reference the image below is of the road by the side of the house.
Screenshot_20221231-124657~2.png

Hi @JamesBall

I'm really sorry, this post seemed to slip through the net.

Do you still need some advice on your proposed system / positions?

Hello Kyle

No problem, advice on the proposed system would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Of course :)

For camera position A:

This looks like a good position, I'd recommend a 2.8mm lens, as you say, but the newer DS-2CD2346G2-IU instead, as the performance of the Acusense is better in the G2 models.
Also, you don't want your car to be too close to the camera, as being reflective metal makes them notorious causes of IR overexposure/whiteout - I'm struggling to find a good example with a car, but this thread shows the same thing with a less reflective wall:

So, the safest option would probably be to move the camera to the other side of the house but at the same height.
With regards to the height, the Hikvision turrets are not IK10 rated (vandal-proof), so if this is of concern then a mini dome such as the DS-2CD2546G2-IS is what I'd recommend instead.

For positions B, C, and D:
You should be careful with using a camera for overall coverage, as if it is capturing any of your neighbours' property, then you will need to make sure that you have their permission for this.

A DS-2CD2346G2-IU with a 2.8mm lens in positions B or C, with the edge of the FoV running along the wall of the house, should cover much of the road anyway due to the 103° FoV - this will also give you the sharpness to see a person within ~5m of the camera clearly.

If you want a sharp picture at a longer range, then I would recommend using the 2.8mm lens higher up (near position D is good), and then using the 4mm lens, which will be closer to eye level, in positions B or C.

Another option, which could work as an alternative to using two cameras on the side of the house, would be to use an 8MP turret (such as the DS-2CD2387G2-LU) with a 2.8mm lens in positions B or C, which would give a sharp picture of a face or number plate up to ~8m or so from the camera.

Hope that helps!

Of course :)

For camera position A:

This looks like a good position, I'd recommend a 2.8mm lens, as you say, but the newer DS-2CD2346G2-IU instead, as the performance of the Acusense is better in the G2 models.
Also, you don't want your car to be too close to the camera, as being reflective metal makes them notorious causes of IR overexposure/whiteout - I'm struggling to find a good example with a car, but this thread shows the same thing with a less reflective wall:

So, the safest option would probably be to move the camera to the other side of the house but at the same height.
With regards to the height, the Hikvision turrets are not IK10 rated (vandal-proof), so if this is of concern then a mini dome such as the DS-2CD2546G2-IS is what I'd recommend instead.

For positions B, C, and D:
You should be careful with using a camera for overall coverage, as if it is capturing any of your neighbours' property, then you will need to make sure that you have their permission for this.

A DS-2CD2346G2-IU with a 2.8mm lens in positions B or C, with the edge of the FoV running along the wall of the house, should cover much of the road anyway due to the 103° FoV - this will also give you the sharpness to see a person within ~5m of the camera clearly.

If you want a sharp picture at a longer range, then I would recommend using the 2.8mm lens higher up (near position D is good), and then using the 4mm lens, which will be closer to eye level, in positions B or C.

Another option, which could work as an alternative to using two cameras on the side of the house, would be to use an 8MP turret (such as the DS-2CD2387G2-LU) with a 2.8mm lens in positions B or C, which would give a sharp picture of a face or number plate up to ~8m or so from the camera.

Hope that helps!

Perfect, thanks for the detailed response!
I was looking at the G2 model camera's, must've typed G1 by mistake.
Noted on the possible overexposure from the car and neighbour permissions before installation.
This will be a summer project so just got to make a final decision on best positioning on side of the house nearer the time from the advice given.

Back