01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera locations (using crossover of field of vision)

JayMan

Hi,
I am planning my first IP camera setup and will be based on the Hikvision M series NVR and a combination of DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU turret cameras, wall mounted at about 3-4 meters. Cat cables will run into the loft to avoid drilling through the walls.

My main question is whether the cameras on the side of the house with crossing FOVs will cause any problems to the image of each other?

I am planning to use 4 cameras around the semi detached house with the following considerations (see diagram of house/garden:

Camera 1 (front of house): 8mp/4mm lens for clarity and to over see the car which is usually parked outside of the boundary wall on street parking. - should I consider a 2.8mm lens?

Camera 2: 8mp/4mm lens. Mounted just inside of the side gate and to capture the full back garden of 13m x 4m. There will roughly be a distance of 1.5/2m between camera 2 and 3 however they will cross as I don't want to create any blind spots along the longest side boundary wall (4 foot high as council won't let me go higher). Will a 4mm lens be sufficient to oversee the full garden from that angle? Should I consider a 6mm lens here due to the long distance?

Camera 3: 8mp/4mm intention is to capture entry to the front gate which camera 1 won't fully capture due to being a curved corner. As there is a wall to section the back garden, my thinking is to mount camera 3 inside the back garden to see entry into the side gate as well as the front gate.

Camera 4: 4mp/4mm: this will be mounted of the eave of the extension and at 2.5 high my thinking is 4mm should be sufficient?

Is there a better way to place cameras 2 and 3 without creating any blind spots?

IP Garden plan.PNG

Hi @JayMan

I'll go through your camera positions and questions below:

Camera 1) 4mm should be fine here, 2.8mm will give you wider coverage over the boundary wall and also give you slightly more vertical FoV to see the doorway below the camera but this is possibly wasted FoV and the 4mm will give you coverage of the approach towards the front of the house.

Camera 2) 4mm will probably be the best option to get more detail at the full 13m distance, you probably will run into issues with cameras 2 & 3 pointed at each other and being so close. The best way to avoid these issues would be to mount one camera higher than the other (probably mount camera 3 higher as it's looking over the wall to the front gate) that way you are less likely to catch either camera in the other's FoV.

Camera 3) Again 4mm should be fine but like camera 1 you could use 2.8mm if you want to have good coverage of the side gate as well as the front gate, but the wider/taller 2.8mm FoV might bring camera 2 into this camera's FoV which will cause problems (if you do mount camera 3 higher, consider moving camera 2 & 3 closer together so one camera is basically on top of the other but each is pointing in different directions).

Camera 4) Yes, 4mm will be fine.

Hi @JayMan

I'll go through your camera positions and questions below:

Camera 1) 4mm should be fine here, 2.8mm will give you wider coverage over the boundary wall and also give you slightly more vertical FoV to see the doorway below the camera but this is possibly wasted FoV and the 4mm will give you coverage of the approach towards the front of the house.

Camera 2) 4mm will probably be the best option to get more detail at the full 13m distance, you probably will run into issues with cameras 2 & 3 pointed at each other and being so close. The best way to avoid these issues would be to mount one camera higher than the other (probably mount camera 3 higher as it's looking over the wall to the front gate) that way you are less likely to catch either camera in the other's FoV.

Camera 3) Again 4mm should be fine but like camera 1 you could use 2.8mm if you want to have good coverage of the side gate as well as the front gate, but the wider/taller 2.8mm FoV might bring camera 2 into this camera's FoV which will cause problems (if you do mount camera 3 higher, consider moving camera 2 & 3 closer together so one camera is basically on top of the other but each is pointing in different directions).

Camera 4) Yes, 4mm will be fine.
Thank you Dan.

I forgot to mention....the extension is single storey and adjacent to the main house. If I was to mount camera 3 around the corner pointing to the right of the garden and bring camera 2 where camera 3 is in the above pic - would i get reflection from the sloping extension roof even if I positioned the camera so it was right on the corner of the house?

Hi @JayMan

Yes, if the extension is single storey then moving camera 3 around the corner to be above the extension is probably the best way to have the 2 cameras cover the 2 different areas without impacting each other.

If you mount camera 3 quite close to the corner (1/1.5m in from the corner at most) and stick with the 4mm lens, the vertical FoV will probably be narrow enough that you won't capture much if any of the extension roof in the camera's FoV.

Back