01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Choosing between Hikvision hybrid 8MP vs 4MP?

Boarders

Hi guys,

Complete newbie here but I've done a bit of reading. I'm looking at an 8 camera Hikvision setup and the security company's recommended the new 8MP hybrid cameras DS-2CD2387G2H-LISU/SL and an 8 channel 4K NVR. The front of the house has garden lighting and a street light is opposite our house so the ColorVu may be fairly good, but at least 4 cameras around the house will be in positions with relatively little ambient light.

From reading through the forums and looking at the spec sheet, these 8MP cameras have a 1/1.8" sensor; the experts here and on other forums seem to be recommending a 1/1.2" sensor for 8MP cameras to get good low light performance but that's in reference to a non-hybrid camera. I assume the IR side can take over if light's too low?

Would I be better off considering a 4MP variant with a 1/1.2" sensor such as the DS-2CD2347G2H-LISU/SL?

Thanks for helping me get the best quality I can and sorry if I seem uneducated about this stuff!

Hi @Boarders

As far as we are aware, the only ColorVu turret with the 1/1.2" sensor is the DS-2CD2387G2-LU

The specific model you've been recommended is a Live-Guard model which includes the strobe light & audible alarm features, if you don't absolutely need these features then you could use the 2387G2-LU instead for the cameras at the front of the house.

for the 4 cameras that won't have as much ambient light, you can consider either the DS-2CD2387G2H-LISU/SL / DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU that will allow you to have the camera in B&W IR mode but switch to colour mode when a smart event is triggered, or if you think the spaces are just too dark for ColorVu to work at all you can use the DS-2CD2386G2-IU which will just operate in B&W IR mode all night.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated. I take it the 8MP is a fantastic camera and I should be well served by them, even if they're an expensive option!

Reactions: Dan
Back