01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Can EU/UK firmware be installed on US cameras?

LoinKing

I've heard that CH variants of Hikvision products are different from others, and that installing EU/UK firmware on CH (Chinese) variant can actually brick the camera. What about US <-> EU/UK products? Are their firmware compatible i.e. can I install US firmware on camera I got from UK/EU and vice-versa?

I would not do this. As you say, installing the wrong firmware can brick cameras but also those "wrong" firmware cameras can be bricked later by updates of NVR firmware!

To explain - I accidentally once installed the wrong firmware onto a couple of cameras and although the cameras worked fine for months, I later updated my NVR firmware (correctly) and the "wrong firmware" cameras were then instantly bricked. I managed to get the cameras back to the correct firmware eventually but it was not easy.

Not sure why the cameras bricked, I guess an unforseen incompatibility between the camera and NVR firmware or could of even been by HikVision's design - e.g. they designed the firmwares this way to stop people mixing cameras from different regions.

I've heard that CH variants of Hikvision products are different from others, and that installing EU/UK firmware on CH (Chinese) variant can actually brick the camera. What about US <-> EU/UK products? Are their firmware compatible i.e. can I install US firmware on camera I got from UK/EU and vice-versa?
I've not installed firmware to UK cameras from the Hikvision US website. However I have from the Hikvision Global website here https://www.hikvision.com/en/support/download/firmware/. The newer firmware often appears there a day or two before appearing on the UK specific page.

@JB1970 I actually found a camera in US and was wondering if UK/EU or Global firmware will work on it. As per the seller it will, but you never know. The reason I want to install non-US firmware is that I've heard US govt has an issue with Hikvision, so Hikvision US has custom firmware for US cameras, so I thought there might be some feature limitation or delay in getting latest firmware in US. Being able to simply install non-US firmware on US camera would be a nice option.

@JB1970 I actually found a camera in US and was wondering if UK/EU or Global firmware will work on it. As per the seller it will, but you never know. The reason I want to install non-US firmware is that I've heard US govt has an issue with Hikvision, so Hikvision US has custom firmware for US cameras, so I thought there might be some feature limitation or delay in getting latest firmware in US. Being able to simply install non-US firmware on US camera would be a nice option.
Ok - I'm not sure on that to be honest.

Back