01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do camera image sensors begin to fail from the edge inwards?

cymruchris

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I've got a Hikvision DS-2CD2542FWD-IS mini dome camera that I'd like to add into an owl project I started last year - but having check through today to make sure it worked properly, I noticed the bottom left of the image is totally dark in a well-lit room, and the bottom right is showing a bit of a purple fringe. Is this a sign the camera is on its way out, and will get progressively worse? The image below is taken without the protective lens fitted, and the foam gasket isn't the cause of the issue. I've run a total system reset/reboot - so have a feeling it's on its last legs - but thought I'd ask the experts here first. (It was a free donated camera for a community project rather than for security use) I'm fairly confident it's knackered - but let's see if anyone agrees.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 151742.jpg

That is a stuck IR cut filter.
If you tap the camera it may move to its proper position.
It needs to move in front of the sensor in daylight, and clear away from the sensor at night (so moves twice a day).

That is a stuck IR cut filter.
If you tap the camera it may move to its proper position.
It needs to move in front of the sensor in daylight, and clear away from the sensor at night (so moves twice a day).
Great info thanks - I gave it a few taps on the desk, and could see the filter move on live view. Covering it and uncovering it I can hear the filter moving inside, but looks like it's not happy to move and gets stuck at random points. I've tried doing it a few times in case it's a little sticky having not been used for a while, but seems to be sticking often. As we only want it to see mostly nocturnal activity - I should be able to set the camera to 'Night mode' with IR light on, and leave it like that 24 hours a day, so that there's always an image, and there'll not be any filter swaps taking place - so might not be consigned to the dustbin just yet! I'm glad I asked :)

Back