01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Anyone actually successfully streaming from their Hikvision camera live to YouTube via RTMP?

Kryten22uk

Hey all

I've got a DS-2CD2086G2-IU, which is all wired using CAT6 on my gigabit LAN, and ultimately to my FTTP ISP at 1000mpbs up/down.

I successfully updated the firmware to the version with RTMP (V5.5.131 build 210609), then enabled RTMP in the config, and set YouTube up to receive the signal. So it all "works", but the image is very unstable. It can get quite pixelated. I've tried a few different bitrates, resolutions etc, but doesnt change the problem much. I get a perfect picture when viewing the camera feed on web browser or via HIK-Connect. I also get a perfect feed when pushing the feed via RTSP to OBS and then on to YouTube that way. Its just for some reason the RTMP protocol can't cope.

I've seen a few youtube videos of people setting up the RTMP live stream, but there's very little in the way of actual ongoing user experience. Again, a few threads on this forum of people asking if/how to set up RTMP but not much in the way of people saying they successfully use it.

Does the online brain-trust think this is just sods-law and a problem with the firmware, or is there something else I could test?

Hey all

I've got a DS-2CD2086G2-IU, which is all wired using CAT6 on my gigabit LAN, and ultimately to my FTTP ISP at 1000mpbs up/down.

I successfully updated the firmware to the version with RTMP (V5.5.131 build 210609), then enabled RTMP in the config, and set YouTube up to receive the signal. So it all "works", but the image is very unstable. It can get quite pixelated. I've tried a few different bitrates, resolutions etc, but doesnt change the problem much. I get a perfect picture when viewing the camera feed on web browser or via HIK-Connect. I also get a perfect feed when pushing the feed via RTSP to OBS and then on to YouTube that way. Its just for some reason the RTMP protocol can't cope.

I've seen a few youtube videos of people setting up the RTMP live stream, but there's very little in the way of actual ongoing user experience. Again, a few threads on this forum of people asking if/how to set up RTMP but not much in the way of people saying they successfully use it.

Does the online brain-trust think this is just sods-law and a problem with the firmware, or is there something else I could test?
Is there a latency / jitter problem? Try different DNS and YT servers.

Not really sure how to test if latency issue. It does pause and jitter but it also just gives spurious colour blocking issues in part of the screen whilst the rest of the screen is smooth. I'm using 8.8.8.8 dns so surely can't be much better than that. It's what all of the streaming providers say to use.

I use one of these:

In line from the HDMI port on the NVR - the signal passes through to the monitor - but the stream goes out to youtube here:

If you look for the 'live' stream - you'll see the NVR (currently a 9 way split) and has no issues with colour blocking, jitters or pauses. (You can scroll back through the timeline to watch video at different times of day) So far - aside from when the internet itself goes down - it's very reliable.

IMG_3696.jpeg

There are cheaper versions - particularly if you don't need the monitor pass-through. This one had the best reviews though for the price point so gave it a go. The software interface in browser is a little basic - but it works well. (You can see we've also added a clock on the top left and a text overlay middle right - both done through the streaming box). It's been running for several months now - never seen a coloured block/glitch or freeze. (it's usually the broadband goes offline in the middle of the night - and the whole thing doesn't automatically restart - that's a pain - but it's not the device or youtubes fault).

@Kryten22uk did you ever get stream quality alerts from YouTube or dropped packets reported from OBS?

From @cymruchris comments, it sounds as though the NVR has problems streaming RTMP.

David

@Kryten22uk did you ever get stream quality alerts from YouTube or dropped packets reported from OBS?

From @cymruchris comments, it sounds as thought the NVR has problems streaming RTMP.

David
When streaming RTMP direct to YT, yes I got quality alerts. When streaming via OBS, no alerts, very stable "excellent" stream health reported by YT. No dropped/missed/skipped frames in OBS, but then that is using RTSP from cam to OBS, not the cams RTMP protocol.

For clarity, I dont involve the NVR in my streaming setup. And whilst @cymruchris has a good setup, its the equivalent/alternative to using OBS on a laptop, as it isnt using the IP Cam's RTMP protocol, so cant judge whether that is a widespread issue or not.

Back