01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Home CCTV - 2 Monitors to show continuous live video?

Smith62

Hello,

I have just moved into a new build home, and I want to install a wired CCTV.

I want 2 monitors in the house.

One monitor to be in the living room (ground floor), and the other monitor to be in the bedroom (first floor). Both monitors must be running continuous live footage of my cameras at all times. I am thinking of putting the NVR in the loft, just to keep wiring up the my 4 cameras easier.

What is the best way to feed the monitors from here? I'm thinking of running HDMI cables down the outside wall feeding into both rooms, but wanted to see what the options are.

I've looked into HDMI repeaters, but I hear they are not very good if the signal is passing through walls.

The one in particular I am looking at, is the Lorex 4K CCTV system.

Lorex has there own APP, so I could always get 2 monitors with fire sticks, and just stream them? Anyone have experience with this, do they play continuously, or do they keep turning off after a while?

Hi @Smith62

For this scenario, there are probably 2 options that we would suggest.

If your NVR supports multiple HDMI outputs, you can use an HDMI Extender on each HDMI output to link to the monitors over a Cat6 network cable.

The other option if you have a smaller NVR with only a single HDMI output, would be to use an HDMI splitter that will let you send the single HDMI output to multiple monitors.

I would stick with a cable only solution rather than 'wireless with an app' - the amount of apps that seem to be dying off after a year or two because something better comes along is a pain in the neck sometimes. Some hikvision recorders have multiple outputs as above - if you haven't chosen one yet that's what I'd go for.

I would stick with a cable only solution rather than 'wireless with an app' - the amount of apps that seem to be dying off after a year or two because something better comes along is a pain in the neck sometimes. Some hikvision recorders have multiple outputs as above - if you haven't chosen one yet that's what I'd go for.

I guess it's not essential to have 2 HDMI ports if I can buy a splitter? What's the best wired CCTV systems out, in regards to quality?

Something like the Hikvision DS-7716NI-M4/16P might be a fair choice as that has 2 x HDMI outputs of 4k each (or 8k down a single output). If you're putting it in a loft - then the built in POE ports will probably be useful for you to plug all 4 cameras in directly. It would easily handle 4 x 8mp cameras, and more. I think it's priced around the £500 mark as a bare unit without HDD. So add a decent hard drive (or two) for a couple of hundred pounds (depending on how much 'history' you want) - and you should still have £800 for your 4 x cameras - which should give you a decent choice of options depending on what you're looking at, the field of view you want to capture, and the amount of detail you want in any given area.

You mentioned you wanted to put the HDMI cables outside the house - will they be trunked in anything? Or exposed to the elements? If just tacked onto the wall, make sure you use cable specifically made for all weather exposure.

Something like the Hikvision DS-7716NI-M4/16P might be a fair choice as that has 2 x HDMI outputs of 4k each (or 8k down a single output). If you're putting it in a loft - then the built in POE ports will probably be useful for you to plug all 4 cameras in directly. It would easily handle 4 x 8mp cameras, and more. I think it's priced around the £500 mark as a bare unit without HDD. So add a decent hard drive (or two) for a couple of hundred pounds (depending on how much 'history' you want) - and you should still have £800 for your 4 x cameras - which should give you a decent choice of options depending on what you're looking at, the field of view you want to capture, and the amount of detail you want in any given area.

You mentioned you wanted to put the HDMI cables outside the house - will they be trunked in anything? Or exposed to the elements? If just tacked onto the wall, make sure you use cable specifically made for all weather exposure.

Really appreciate your help, i'll look into this system! Thank you

Back