01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Network Installation and CCTV?

LouisXIII

Hi

I'm networking my property and installing CCTVs but I need advise and help

- x2 RJ45 ports per room (total 5 bed rooms)
- x1 RJ45 ceiling port per landing for APs (total 3/4)
- Should I consider running CAT6 to my bathrooms/toilets?

As I am running CAT6 to each room, should I split it such that floor1/2 have a 1 comms area and floor 2 has another comms area and I can run 2 CAT6 and Fibre cables between the switches? Also I was thinking to have the NVR in the garage which will also be connected to a network switch - if this is not correct be advise

I will also run CCTV maybe 6/8 in total, I have IP cameras in mind as I will be running CAT6 cable to each camera, also what CCTV camera do you recommend with budget max 1500GBP

The property has bay window like this picture I found on google but my drive way is much bigger - I am considering like this?

SCR-20231120-qizf.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi @LouisXIII

Your network plan sounds fine to me.

Unless you are planning to have hardwired network devices in the bathrooms/toilets (e.g. Smart Radio, Smart Speakers, etc...) then I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have network access points in those areas.

Splitting your network between the floors is an option, but in most cases, residential networks do not have that much network traffic so speed/bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Some other users with greater experience in configuring this type of network might be able to add their own thoughts/recommendations to this thread.

As long as the NVR in the garage is connected to the same local network as the cameras, there is no problem having the NVR in the garage.

In regards to cameras, we would probably recommend 2 cameras for the front of the house. Under the porch roof, we would probably recommend a Hikvision Mini Dome camera like the DS-2CD2546G2-IS 4MP AcuSense Mini Dome and for the other camera, we would recommend something like the DS-2CD2386G2-IU 8MP AcuSense Turret mounted at the front top left of the property (either just under the eaves or actually on the soffit if it is larger enough).

For the NVR, we would recommend the Hikvision DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8-channel M-series NVR

Thanks for the reply @Dan - valuable!

I am looking to use Excel CAT6A Exterior cable to wire the property - Is there any objection to this choice?

I find the sheath of this cable quite durable when working with, any other cable i'm open to suggestions

Also, do you suggest I buy all camera units separately from the NVR?

Hi @LouisXIII

Your network plan sounds fine to me.

Unless you are planning to have hardwired network devices in the bathrooms/toilets (e.g. Smart Radio, Smart Speakers, etc...) then I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have network access points in those areas.

Splitting your network between the floors is an option, but in most cases, residential networks do not have that much network traffic so speed/bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Some other users with greater experience in configuring this type of network might be able to add their own thoughts/recommendations to this thread.

As long as the NVR in the garage is connected to the same local network as the cameras, there is no problem having the NVR in the garage.

In regards to cameras, we would probably recommend 2 cameras for the front of the house. Under the porch roof, we would probably recommend a Hikvision Mini Dome camera like the DS-2CD2546G2-IS 4MP AcuSense Mini Dome and for the other camera, we would recommend something like the DS-2CD2386G2-IU 8MP AcuSense Turret mounted at the front top left of the property (either just under the eaves or actually on the soffit if it is larger enough).

For the NVR, we would recommend the Hikvision DS-7608NI-M2/8P 8-channel M-series NVR

Hi @LouisXIII

EXCEL is good quality cable so there should be no issue using that.

We would recommend buying the NVR and one of each camera to test and make sure you are happy with them in the positions you were planning to use them in before you commit to the whole system of cameras.

Thanks @Dan

What about CAT6A jacks, connectors and modules can you recommend any decent ones, also face plates for the wall.

I was thinking in each comms room to run the cables to a patch panel then using patch cables to a switch (over kill but i have the budget)

Can you recommend patch pannels?

Excel offer the full range of networking accessories for use with their cable e.g. jacks, wall plates, patch panels, patch leads, racks, etc. They are a longstanding good quality brand and all their components should work well together :)

Thanks @Phil @Dan

I was thinking of running CAT6A but now i'm thinking about running CAT6 - CAT6A seems overkill to me, thoughts?

Cat6 is more than adequate :)

Back