01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Crop Bullet Camera View? (to cover my garden only)

hshah

I have a DS-2CD2T46G2 running via a NVR and as you can see, it's currently capturing more than just our garden. Whilst I've set it up to only record when there is activity in just our garden, I would have thought there was a way to crop both the view and resulting recording, but have been unable to find such an option.

Does this option exist?

Both camera and NVR are running the latest available firmwares.

Screenshot_20240224_222449_Hik-Connect.png

I have a DS-2CD2T46G2 running via a NVR and as you can see, it's currently capturing more than just our garden. Whilst I've set it up to only record when there is activity in just our garden, I would have thought there was a way to crop both the view and resulting recording, but have been unable to find such an option.

Does this option exist?

Both camera and NVR are running the latest available firmwares.

View attachment 10652
No, you have a fixed lens camera with a wide angle lens. There's no way to crop the image. You could:
  • pan the camera left so that the right hand edge of the image is aligned with the fence (this would be a better view anyway)
  • blank off your neighbours garden with a privacy mask
  • replace the camera with a variable-focal model and adjust the lens to suit

Upvote 0
No, you have a fixed lens camera with a wide angle lens. There's no way to crop the image. You could:
  • pan the camera left so that the right hand edge of the image is aligned with the fence (this would be a better view anyway)
  • blank off your neighbours garden with a privacy mask
  • replace the camera with a variable-focal model and adjust the lens to suit
I was going to point it more towards the left, but will end up facing similar issues with the other garden - it isn't as visible due to the trees, but I'm planning on getting rid of them in the near future.

Replacing the camera isn't really worth the hassle, so that option is out. However, using Privacy Mask is a brilliant suggestion though.

With regards to cropping, I was under the impression that it could be done either by hardware or software. Just for my understanding, did you suggest an alternative camera on the basis that the NVR (DS-7616NI-M2/16P) has no software based cropping feature?

Upvote 0
With regards to cropping, I was under the impression that it could be done either by hardware or software. Just for my understanding, did you suggest an alternative camera on the basis that the NVR (DS-7616NI-M2/16P) has no software based cropping feature?

In some older models with older (out of date firmware) lowering the resolution would crop the image, IE dropping from 8MP to 5MP would crop into the image. I only saw that on one model and it disappeared with a firmware update. Now if you alter the resolution the image borders usually remain unaffected.

There's no crop feature for cameras on the Hikvision NVRs so it's a case of getting the right model for the view. When a camera is standalone it may be possible (model and firmware dependant) to use the third stream in a cropped view but the third stream is unavailable when connected to an NVR.

Upvote 0
In some older models with older (out of date firmware) lowering the resolution would crop the image, IE dropping from 8MP to 5MP would crop into the image. I only saw that on one model and it disappeared with a firmware update. Now if you alter the resolution the image borders usually remain unaffected.

There's no crop feature for cameras on the Hikvision NVRs so it's a case of getting the right model for the view. When a camera is standalone it may be possible (model and firmware dependant) to use the third stream in a cropped view but the third stream is unavailable when connected to an NVR.
Thanks for the explanation. I have spare ports on a PoE Switch (used for intercom), so will try connecting the camera via that.

I tested the Privacy Mask earlier and it works well, so if I can't crop in standalone mode then that would be the backup plan.

Thank you once again for your help. Definitely much appreciated :)

Upvote 0
Back