01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Before I Purchase, Hikvision Camera Selection Opinions Please?

reason17

Hi, I am about to buy a bunch of cameras from USE-IP but I wanted a second opinion on my choice before I am ready to hit send. Would anybody be able to lend a hand?

I would like to purchase cameras to go around my residential home. It is a semi detached house, front garden length: 10m, rear garden length: 20m, side passage length: 15m. Porch length: 1m.

The rear garden and Side passage are completely dark with no significant light source. The front garden is mildly illuminated by a street lamp but still not amazigly well lit. I am open to purchasing PIR security lights if needed.

Ideally I would like cameras to record audio (i would like the doorbell camera to allow both users to talk freely like a phone call, without waiting for one another to stop talking)

I was hoping someone could go over my options and thought process with me (I would like all cameras to be below £170 where possible).

I do not mind whether cameras are bullet or turret, but all will be attached to the side of a wall except the porch camera.

• Porch: Hikvision DS-2CD2146G2-ISU/B 4MP

-Would there be an advantage to buying a mini dome over a dome camera?

• Front doorbell: Hikvision DS-KV6113-WPE1

-Does this allow us both to talk freely like a phone call, or is it one at a time like an intercom system? If like an intercom system, do you have a better recommendation?

-I understand this isn’t actually a doorbell camera, I am therefore worried it may have some drawbacks that I haven’t envisaged. Compared to Products like Ring Doorbell which are usually seamless, does the hikvision doorbell have any drawbacks that I should know about when used as a doorbell camera?

• Front Garden: Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL/B 4MP
-I have selected a colorvu camera, however the 6MP Infrared Hikvision DS-2CD2366G2-ISU/SL falls into my budget if colorvu wouldn’t be appropriate

• SIde Passage: Hikvision DS-2CD2066G2-IU ©
-IR camera

• Rear Garden: Hikvision DS-2CD2366G2-ISU/SL
-IR camera

I also have a couple of questions:

1. What do the annotations IU, ISU, SL etc. mean?

2. I use a TP-Link deco wifi mesh network, I have satellites dotted all around my house. Can my cameras connect into an individual satellite to avoid me having to wire cameras all the way to the NVR box, or do they have to go directly into the NVR?

Thank you

I do not mind whether cameras are bullet or turret, but all will be attached to the side of a wall except the porch camera.
Turrets look better IMHO. You tend to get less spiders webs across the face of the camera. Spiders seem to get between the turret 'ball' and outer case where they don't affect the image. On bullets you get more webs between the sun shield across the face of the camera which the IR will reflect off. If using turrets allow for the back boxes to house the termination as they look so much better than a cheap electrical box clagged adjacent to the camera. If the cameras are going on a soffit they're not needed.

• Porch: Hikvision DS-2CD2146G2-ISU/B 4MP

-Would there be an advantage to buying a mini dome over a dome camera?
I'd tend to recommend turrets. If the camera is completely beneath a canopy it's not so bad but otherwise you'll have issues with residue from rain marking the camera. That doesn't tend to affect a colour day image but on a night the IR reflects back and you get an awful image if not kept clean. If it's only covering your porch area a 4MP (DS-2CD2346G2-LU/B) would do.

• Front Garden: Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LSU/SL/B 4MP
-I have selected a colorvu camera, however the 6MP Infrared Hikvision DS-2CD2366G2-ISU/SL falls into my budget if colorvu wouldn’t be appropriate
ColorVu vs infra red is a personal choice. A lot of people want the 24/7 colour but then don't want the white LED on all night. If the LED comes on it's because it's needed for a decent exposure. Forcing it off is not ideal. Unless you want the siren or strobe light facility on that camera the LU/B would do and still has the microphone. The 8MP cameras may be a consideration for the front and rear gardens where you're covering larger areas with one camera.

• SIde Passage: Hikvision DS-2CD2066G2-IU ©
-IR camera

• Rear Garden: Hikvision DS-2CD2366G2-ISU/SL
-IR camera

Both fine (though I'd use turrets all round). I'd recommend the 4mm lens versions as the 2.8mm are too wide unless you're trying to cover immediately in front of the camera.

1. What do the annotations IU, ISU, SL etc. mean?
The 'I' is Infra Red, the 'L' is Light (white LED), 'U' is microphone, 'S' is alarm input/output, 'SL' is strobe light

2. I use a TP-Link deco wifi mesh network, I have satellites dotted all around my house. Can my cameras connect into an individual satellite to avoid me having to wire cameras all the way to the NVR box, or do they have to go directly into the NVR?
The cameras could connect back using the deco units but I would strongly advise against it. WiFi can be flakey at times, mesh or not. Cabling them back to the NVR ensures the camera has a good connection and also segregates all of that traffic from your network.

• Front doorbell: Hikvision DS-KV6113-WPE1

-Does this allow us both to talk freely like a phone call, or is it one at a time like an intercom system? If like an intercom system, do you have a better recommendation?

-I understand this isn’t actually a doorbell camera, I am therefore worried it may have some drawbacks that I haven’t envisaged. Compared to Products like Ring Doorbell which are usually seamless, does the hikvision doorbell have any drawbacks that I should know about when used as a doorbell camera?

It will allow two way audio. Drawbacks:

• unless you fit the indoor screen as well, you have no chime in the house and are relying on your phone, your internet connection and the Hik-Connect service to get the notification. The indoor screen DS-KH6320-WTE1 works locally as soon as the button is pressed so no delay through the connection
  • Unlike a doorbell, when a visitor presses it, it will ring continuously until the timer is reached, the call is answered or the button outside is pressed a second time. That can be a bit of a pain when you're in.
In summary:
  • Turrets look better and have less issues being obscured by dirt/spiders webs
  • ColorVu need some light. I'd recommend using them on the front only and be aware the light may be on all night.
  • Infra Red for side and back. Don't use ColorVu in the side passage as if it's narrow you'll either have a lot of wall in view or it will be turned toward the fence to avoid the wall. Either way that's going to cause some image issues as the white light will reflect off whatever it's pointing at.
  • 8MP cameras are good for larger areas but not necessary everywhere.
  • Choose 4mm over 2.8mm lenses to avoid distortion.

Back