01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Do the majority of Hikvision NVR's have power cut memory batteries?

cymruchris

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I popped a donated NVR into a local church last year that's sitting on top of a mountain all by itself (aside from the pub next to it), and it seems to be having regular power cuts. The NVR then forgets what day it is and goes back to 2004. Do NVR's have batteries like PC's do to remember settings? I'm sure the answer is yes - it's a DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A

Hi @cymruchris

The NVRs should remember settings after being powered down/losing power, but I'm not sure how long it will hold onto that information.

If you are seeing frequent power cuts then it might be an idea to connect the NVR to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) so it doesn't lose power when there is an outage.

Hi @cymruchris

The NVRs should remember settings after being powered down/losing power, but I'm not sure how long it will hold onto that information.

If you are seeing frequent power cuts then it might be an idea to connect the NVR to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) so it doesn't lose power when there is an outage.
Yes - have been thinking about a UPS - but as it's so remote, we're not sure how long the power cuts are lasting for. I might add the 'monitoring' through Hik-pro connect to see if I can see how often it happens and for how long. If it's a case of it's a half an hour a time - a UPS can certainly be put in - but if it's half the night, it might be that a UPS wouldn't be enough to keep it running that long... With the monitor switched off and only an NVR plugged in, do they have a decent backup time from experience?

The NVR alone won't draw a lot of power.
It's a piece of string - the more you pay, the more VA of UPS battery backup you get, the longer the power cut it can ride through.
Most power cuts, that people in ordinary places experience, are short.
So most people buy the cost-effective small units intended for use with PCs.
NB - to this day there are no Hikvision NVRs that will intelligently link to a UPS (to safely shut the NVR down when the UPS says the battery backup is about to expire).

Back