01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2546G2-IS / DS-1280ZJ-DM46 Junction Box

chrisp68

Hi,

I am hoping you guys can help me out here.

I bought two DS-2CD2546G2-IS mini dome cameras (IP67) which I want to mount on an outside wall. The recommended junction box for this camera is the DS-1280ZJ-DM46 (stated as water-tight). My issue is that the camera has a diameter of 110mm and the junction box has a diameter of 120mm. There is a plastic mounting plate supplied with the camera that enables it to be mounted to the junction box using the 4 internal screw mounts rather than the outside 3. By no means a perfect solution, but it makes it fit.

Junction Box
IMG_0216.jpg

Junction Box with Mounting Plate
IMG_0217.jpg

Unfortunately, there are holes for a punch-out in the side of the mounting plate - in a position that could be deemed the "top" if the camera is mounted with the dome down and "Hikvision" up the right way, which is my desired orientation.

Mounting Plate on Junction Box
IMG_0218.jpg

Mounting Plate on Camera
IMG_0219.jpg

These holes make the combination of camera, mounting plate and junction box no longer water-tight, but it appears to be the only way to mount the camera to the recommended box.

The pigatail on this camera includes two exposed green connectors (alarm and audio?), neither of which have water-tight options supplied (like the RJ45 does) beyond the manual's apparent suggestion that you wrap them in what I can only assume is insulation tape. With the water-tight RJ45 tube in the junction box its a very, very snug fit in there. Not exactly spacious even without it.

Using the wall brackets isn't an option for me, so my questions are essentially

1. Am I missing something? I've tried every combination I can come up with to make the junction box water-tight with the camera mounted.
2. Does anyone know of another (Hikvision or 3rd party) junction box that would be a better fit for the DS-2CD2546G2-IS?
3 Any tips on DIY waterproofing that will last long-term? Not ideal, the holes will be at the top if I stick with this combination so needs to be reliable.
4. Am I simply onto a loser with mounting these cameras how I want/need to? They are perfect apart from this one thing ... Acusense, Dark Fighter, dome, microphone, not ugly/intrusive, not end of life.

Thanks

I've not used that particular model but looking at the data sheet and your photos there shouldn't be any issues. It looks as though the IP67 rating is for the camera itself and unaffected by that mounting plate IE it's fine if water gets between the two as it's not penetrating the camera module.

As for waterproofing - the RJ45 network connector has a weatherproof housing but it's advised that once you're happy the camera is functional and tested, to wrap that in a layer of self amalgamating tape. I have had moisture get inside that assembly previously and when it does it bridges the PoE pins causing corrosion and high resistance, ultimately causing camera failure. A bit of standard insulation tape on any input/output wires or around the 12V power connector if unused. As said there should be no need to waterproof any gap between the camera and mounting plate.

Thanks for coming back on this (and for the tip on the self amalgamating tape)!

I should have included a picture of the three together really to demonstrate my problem. The holes are camera-side of the gasket level of the junction box and lead directly into the box cavity, even with the camera mounted on it. Unaltered, the junction box will fill up with water if these holes are on top, and require an additional drain hole. Whichever way up, it's not water-tight.

This is all closed up, camera on top, then mounting plate, junction box at the bottom.
8608D787-ADE1-44B4-AC27-00AF81BAA1A7.jpeg

This is with the camera slightly lifted so you can see the holes in relation to the camera and the junction box
25E3880F-74A2-42F2-AF64-8DFAABF171A2.jpeg

For info, these are the leads from the camera
9E151F12-91DB-4A99-8056-30E48EB4B21A.jpeg

As far as I can tell, I need to seal those holes? It's my first time with junction boxes, so my assumptions may well be out.

I had a similar problem and filled the hole with a blob of clear sealant. When everything was working all the connectors were wrapped with self amalgamating tape. After 2 years no problems.

I wouldn't worry. It's that way by design so it shouldn't need sealing - I certainly wouldn't.

Ok, I have to bow to the wisdom of other people's experience, so thank you for your comments.

I have to be honest, though, I'm not actually willing to have the pigtail connections submerged in a junction box full of rain water so I'll look at sealing it or, more likely, switching to a different camera.

Thanks again for your input.

Back