01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7216HGHI-SH not able to send emails via gmail SMTP

downhiller

I think this is because when checking the "Enable SSL" checbox, it only incorporates TLS 1.0 where gmail requires at least TLS 1.2 these days.

I just want to be able to receive an email when someone starts driving up our driveway - what's the easiest solution? I don't want to have to pay for a separate email service, presumably there's something free I can use, or some way to get this working with gmail?

Thank you!

Mine works fine with G Mail, though I think I had to enable "less secure apps" and occasionally I get a warning from Google and have to re trust the login. SSL enabled and Port 587 in the NVR settings. I also needed to ensure the DNS server was set to 8.8.8.8 in the NVR to override my providers settings.

I'm guessing your NVR is newer than mine and as such supports a newer version of TLS.

I'm guessing your NVR is newer than mine and as such supports a newer version of TLS.

No. My current NVR is very new, however I have this running fine on customers NVR's for around 5 years now - some of them (DS7608NI-SE/P) are obsolete with no new firmware available for several years.

I don't think I can set up Gmail with TLS 1.0. I don't believe it to be possible these days. It used to be, but I just don't think you can any more. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I've read all the Gmail suggestions on how to get my NVR to send emails, but none have worked. Some have mentioned firmware upgrades - however I bought my NVR off eBay from a Chinese seller with an English pack which basically said "do not upgrade firmware". No idea what that entirely means, but it makes me wonder if there's some special trick that has locked the NVR to China only and that the only upgrade I can do is to a Chinese version which means learning Mandarin?

Anyway...Gmail...I digress. I only have the SSL option available to me and Gmail will simply not play ball. I use another SMTP service for sending documents to my Kindle so I thought I'd try that. Worked first go.

SMTP server = mail.gmx.com
SMTP port = 587

Back