01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Ds-7716 NI E4 16P NVR - Is there a way to work out which IP address is being conflicted?

Dav55

Hi. Relative newbue here.

I have a16ch Hik nvr with about 10 cameras connected via network (as in not connected directly to the nvr ports )

The Hik cameras have static ip assigned
And most of the time all works fine.

Randomly I then get an ip conflict error. I can’t work out what is causing the conflict.

Is there a way to work out which ip address is being conflicted ?

I’ve tried the logs but can’t see anything obvious.

Nvr is
Ds-7716 NI E4 16P

Tia.

Hi. Relative newbue here.

I have a16ch Hik nvr with about 10 cameras connected via network (as in not connected directly to the nvr ports )

The Hik cameras have static ip assigned
And most of the time all works fine.

Randomly I then get an ip conflict error. I can’t work out what is causing the conflict.

Is there a way to work out which ip address is being conflicted ?

I’ve tried the logs but can’t see anything obvious.

Nvr is
Ds-7716 NI E4 16P

Tia.
Your router DHCP server may not know about the IP addresses you gave to the cameras. What model router do you have?

My cameras have DHCP enabled and the router DHCP server assigns fixed IP addresses to each camera.

David

Hi. Thanks for prompt response.

It’s a standard bt hub (2 I think)

I will check but I’m sure I’ve set the echo range to exclude the range I’ve allocated manually to cameras.

Is there a way to identify the conflicted ip address.

I will check but I’m sure I’ve set the echo range to exclude the range I’ve allocated manually to cameras.
I'm not sure what you mean by echo range. Most routers have an IP range that is not covered by the DHCP server, is this what you mean?

Is there a way to identify the conflicted ip address.
check your router logs.

David

@Dav55 - This could also be caused by your NVR IP address being set as static, while also being within the DHCP range of your router.

Typically at first set up, the NVR DHCP option is enabled and the NVR gets assigned an address by the router. DHCP (even when using router reserved addressing) is not ideal. However some users simply untick the DHCP box and click apply to 'fix' the current IP address of the NVR. Then at some point the NVR reassigns that address to another device and you get a conflict.

The IP addresses of the NVR itself and all cameras connected to the LAN must be outside of the range of the DHCP pool. Often the router has all 253 addresses in the DHCP pool by default, but the range can always be limited in the router configuration so that the router can only assign a limited number of addresses using DHCP (leaving the rest available for you to assign to devices where static addressing is needed).

The easiest way to check what's causing the conflict is to use an IP scanner tool. As a Mac user, I use 'IP Scanner Ultra'. Running a scan on the network will list all devices along with their MAC addresses and you should be able to find where the issue is.

Going forward though, I'd login to the router and reset the DHCP range to (for example) 99 devices so it's 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99. You can then login to each device starting with the NVR (set that to 192.168.1.100), then each camera on the LAN (cam 1 192.168.1.101, cam to 192.168.1.102 etc). That's just an example, but you must set cameras and NVR with static addresses. You can rely on DHCP and reserve the assigned addresses for all devices but a router crash/replacement would leave you in a mess needing to re write the reservations; so I'd stick to purely static addressing (setting a device to DHCP and reserving its address is not the same as a static address)

I'm not sure what you mean by echo range. Most routers have an IP range that is not covered by the DHCP server, is this what you mean?
Apologies that was an autocorrect - the DHCP range is set to be outside the range I;ve allocated as static IP's

So my range is 192.168.1.1 to 150 for static - then 192.168.1.150 onwards is the DHCP range on the router

check your router logs.

David
the Router logs have mutlitple entries for the time I get the Email from NVR.

I've removed the actual MAC addresses from the entries below...

08:49:10​
24 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: [mac address] Deauthentications (Reason:Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station)
08:49:08​
24 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: [mac address] Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)
24 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: [mac address]Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)
24 Dec. ARP [add] br0(eth0) 192.168.1.92 [mac address]
08:49:07​
24 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: [mac address] Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)

@Dav55 - This could also be caused by your NVR IP address being set as static, while also being within the DHCP range of your router.

Typically at first set up, the NVR DHCP option is enabled and the NVR gets assigned an address by the router. DHCP (even when using router reserved addressing) is not ideal. However some users simply untick the DHCP box and click apply to 'fix' the current IP address of the NVR. Then at some point the NVR reassigns that address to another device and you get a conflict.

The IP addresses of the NVR itself and all cameras connected to the LAN must be outside of the range of the DHCP pool. Often the router has all 253 addresses in the DHCP pool by default, but the range can always be limited in the router configuration so that the router can only assign a limited number of addresses using DHCP (leaving the rest available for you to assign to devices where static addressing is needed).

The easiest way to check what's causing the conflict is to use an IP scanner tool. As a Mac user, I use 'IP Scanner Ultra'. Running a scan on the network will list all devices along with their MAC addresses and you should be able to find where the issue is.

Going forward though, I'd login to the router and reset the DHCP range to (for example) 99 devices so it's 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99. You can then login to each device starting with the NVR (set that to 192.168.1.100), then each camera on the LAN (cam 1 192.168.1.101, cam to 192.168.1.102 etc). That's just an example, but you must set cameras and NVR with static addresses. You can rely on DHCP and reserve the assigned addresses for all devices but a router crash/replacement would leave you in a mess needing to re write the reservations; so I'd stick to purely static addressing (setting a device to DHCP and reserving its address is not the same as a static address)
Many thanks for the reply.

I;m a windows user (although I have a mac that I struggle to get on with) I use FING as a network tool - but cant seem to locate what is causing the issue.

My Router is set to allocate DHCP outside a set range as you suggest...

Picture inserted / attached below

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-24 133249.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 133249.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 41
Many thanks for the reply.

I;m a windows user (although I have a mac that I struggle to get on with) I use FING as a network tool - but cant seem to locate what is causing the issue.

My Router is set to allocate DHCP outside a set range as you suggest...

Picture inserted / attached below
As I said the 'IP conflict' is most likely to be another device having the same IP address as the NVR itself (rather than a camera). Forgetting the router, are you sure that the NVR has a static IP address and that it's outside of the DHCP range?

Do you only have the BT Hub? Any other devices such as mesh access points? Another issue that can occur is when someone puts a mesh system in and simply plugs it into the router. You can end up with more than one DHCP server on the network. When that happens it doesn't matter how you have the DHCP set up in the BT Hub, as a device sending out a broadcast DHCP request on the network can receive an offer of a lease from the other DHCP server first and cause that conflict.

Fixed static IP addresses are the best way to go, where appropriate a VLAN for CCTV and Access control devices. MAC access control on the VLAN improves security. I prefer using DHCP reservations for the cameras and NVR's.

the Router logs have mutlitple entries for the time I get the Email from NVR.
What does the email say?

08:49:10​
24 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: [mac address] Deauthentications (Reason:Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station)
24 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: [mac address]Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)
24 Dec. ARP [add] br0(eth0) 192.168.1.92 [mac address]
2.4G is probably from the wifi network
br0(eth0) looks like a bridge interface via an ethernet port.
Is the [mac address} always the same? If yes, maybe something to do with 192.168.1.92 which is outside your router DHCP range.

David

Back