01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS7616NI-I2/16P NVR just died - need replacement advice?

ardsar

Hi All,

I have had the DS7616NI-I2/16P running flawlessly for over 8 years. Today i noticed that the fan noise was fluctuating along with a click that sounded like a hard drive parking. No HD errors were being reported. Thinking it might be a failing hard drive, i powered down with the intention of disconnecting one hard drive to find which one it was. However, now i have no power to the hard drives at all and a clicking noise is coming from the main pcb so i assume the unit has now failed. Any thoughts?

If I need a new NVR - which is the best to go with?
Although i only need 8CH, the reason i had the 16channel was because originally i had the 8ch but this was very underpowered and was constantly causing issues.

I'm also confused as to what is offered on the use-ip website - there seems to be the same device listed several times but at different pricing.

My other concern is regarding the existing cameras. I am not 100% sure i can remember what all the passwords were etc -so am i going to have issues with connecting the old camera's to the the new NVR? Same goes with setting up the hik-connect app......

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks

Andy.

Hi @ardsar

The replacement NVR we would recommend is the DS-7608NI-M2/8P which is the latest 8-ch model and supports more bandwidth to better support a full 8-camera system, if you think you might expand the system in the future you can also consider the DS-7616NI-M2/16P 16-ch NVR.

If all your cameras were directly connected to the NVR PoE ports and were activated via Plug & Play, they will likely have been assigned the same password as the NVR login password. If the cameras are using a different password then you will probably need to hard reset each camera before moving them to the new NVR and reactivating with the new NVR's camera activation password.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure whether i can remember my log in details - and unfortunately the NVR has completely failed so won't boot up.

How would you recommend i proceed?

I do have a POE switch so could power the camera's without the NVR

THanks

Andy.

Hi @ardsar

Can you confirm the model numbers for the cameras you have connected to the 7616NI-I2 NVR?

Thanks @andsar

We would recommend plugging the cameras into that separate PoE switch and then try accessing them in the SADP Tool using the passwords you think might be correct.

If none of those passwords work, the easiest way to move all those cameras to a new NVR would be to hard reset them so they can be reactivated on the new NVR with its new camera activation password.

Thanks Dan,

First password used was correct!

With the New NVR i assume i just set it up with the same password and the cameras will connect?

I have a couple of older camera's that need to be upgraded. What is your recommendation? Are 4MP still the preferred option over 6M and 8M for image quality for night time viewing? Is there an advantage to go with accuvue?

Hi @ardsar

The megapixel choice really depends on the scene you are covering, if it is a smaller area then there is less of a noticeable difference between the image you will get from a 4MP & 8MP model, but if you are covering a larger area/longer distance we would recommend an 8MP model to pick up more detail.

Our go-to model recommendation is now the Hybrid Light Turret cameras, the DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU and the DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU, which combine both AcuSense/IR and ColorVu/White Light features - see more details about Hybrid Light cameras HERE

Back