01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware for NVR & Cameras?

dbrewood

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Okay, we've had our HIK Vision CCTV system installed for 19 months now and I thought it'd be wise looking at firmware updates....

The NVR is a DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P and the three cameras are all DS-2CD2087G2-LU models.

The NVR Firmware details are:

Firmware Version: V4.30.011 build 200803​
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 200706​
Web Version: V4.0.1 build 200618​
Plugin Version: V3.0.7.21​

The Camera Firmware details are:

Firmware Version: V5.5. 154 build 200928​
Encoding Version: V7.3 build 200925​
Web Version: V4.0.1 build 200817​
Plugin Version: 13.0.7.29​

So the questions are:
  • Where is the UK firmware available?
  • What is the recommended versions of the firmware to use (possibly not the latest versions)
  • Can the cameras / NVR be updated via the web interface (no messing with USB sticks etc)
  • If there are any issues with the firmware updates can the cameras (etc) be reset without physically accessing the cameras (up way too high for me to get to)
  • Any other recommendations?
Thanks as always......

Okay, we've had our HIK Vision CCTV system installed for 19 months now and I thought it'd be wise looking at firmware updates....

The NVR is a DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P and the three cameras are all DS-2CD2087G2-LU models.

The NVR Firmware details are:

Firmware Version: V4.30.011 build 200803​
Encoding Version: V5.0 build 200706​
Web Version: V4.0.1 build 200618​
Plugin Version: V3.0.7.21​

The Camera Firmware details are:

Firmware Version: V5.5. 154 build 200928​
Encoding Version: V7.3 build 200925​
Web Version: V4.0.1 build 200817​
Plugin Version: 13.0.7.29​

So the questions are:
  • Where is the UK firmware available?
  • What is the recommended versions of the firmware to use (possibly not the latest versions)
  • Can the cameras / NVR be updated via the web interface (no messing with USB sticks etc)
  • If there are any issues with the firmware updates can the cameras (etc) be reset without physically accessing the cameras (up way too high for me to get to)
  • Any other recommendations?
Thanks as always......
The first thing for the cameras.....They are G2 model but could either use G3 or G5 platform firmware - it's not something that's obvious. Log into the camera via web browser and you'll see in System Settings > Basic Information "Hardware Version Property" at the bottom. You can see in the image below that this particular camera is a G5:

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 10.43.53.png

Here is the link to the UK Portal homepage (rather than the specific link to your models) - HIKVISION UK PORTAL

For your NVR navigate to Product Firmware > Hikvision > 04 Back Ends > 02 K Series > [76 77 86 NI-K] > [76 77 86 NI-K2 K4 K8]
You are a few versions back so will want to step through one of each revision - the first 4.31.xxx, the first 4.32.xxx, before finally updating to the newest (4.71.005).

For your cameras it depends on whether it's G3 or G5 - but as above, from the first page navigate to Product Firmware > Hikvision > 03 Front Ends > IP Camera. You'll see the G3 and G5 folders there with sub folders within. For ease the G3 8MP model direct link is:

And the G5 8MP model direct link is:

Though it's helpful to get used to navigating the portal if you have multiple models and versions.

Edit: It appears based on the existing firmware build (but check to be sure) that your cameras are G3. You will be able to jump straight to the latest version on them (V5.5.800 build 210628). There are two versions - just use the one ending "STD"

Edit:

- All firmware can be carried out via web browser
- Latest versions are fine (it's impossible to avoid the odd bug - there is no perfect bug free version)
- There should be no need to access the camera or reset it. Do not interrupt a firmware update or power down a device. I regularly carry out updates to multiple cameras simultaneously with several browser tabs open without issue. However I recommend doing one at a time for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right thanks for that. The cameras do indeed look to be G3 models:

Drive Cam Vesion.jpeg

Hmm so a single update for each camera, but the NVR needs to go through multiple versions, okay...... Both can be updated via the web interface though?

The first stumbling block is that I can't access any of the links you posted, in fact even if I try to get to the portal directly I get the same problem. So far I've tried 3 browsers on the Mac all with the same result.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 11.08.10.jpg

Upvote 0
Right thanks for that. The cameras do indeed look to be G3 models:

View attachment 8346

Hmm so a single update for each camera, but the NVR needs to go through multiple versions, okay...... Both can be updated via the web interface though?

The first stumbling block is that I can't access any of the links you posted, in fact even if I try to get to the portal directly I get the same problem. So far I've tried 3 browsers on the Mac all with the same result.

View attachment 8347
Yeah for updates, it's advised to step through versions where that middle number changes. It's also helpful to clear your browser history after each update, as sometimes directories change in the camera firmware that can result in anomalies in display. Your G3 camera is currently on 5.5.154 and the latest version is 5.5.800, so there's no need to step through another version.

I'm not sure why the links aren't working unless it's the way my MacBook is encoding them when I copy/paste the link:

The NVR can be updated directly through the web interface. The camera is also updated through its own web interface. So long as Virtual Host has been enabled on the NVR interface (Configuration > Network > Advanced > Other > 'Enable Virtual Host'), each cameras individual web page can be accessed via the NVR camera menu using the links). I think I saw in your other post that you have already accessed the camera web pages directly.

Upvote 0
Okay that all make sense. Weird over the link. It shows as:

But even if I copy / paste it directly, I still get the error..... Now tried it with VPN on / off, AdGuard on / off, and in Brave, Safari, and Edge. Ah ha Edge with all extensions disabled works!!

So it looks like I need to apply the following?

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 12.02.44.jpg

This is getting scarily real now........

Upvote 0
Okay that all make sense. Weird over the link. It shows as:

But even if I copy / paste it directly, I still get the error..... Now tried it with VPN on / off, AdGuard on / off, and in Brave, Safari, and Edge. Ah ha Edge with all extensions disabled works!!

So it looks like I need to apply the following?

View attachment 8352

This is getting scarily real now........
When I click the linking your message it goes directly to the correct page so I don't know what the issue is there - I only use Safari, I regularly link those pages.

Those are the files. You will need to unzip them (when I download with Safari it automatically does that). Only unzip the one you're working with as everything has the same name when unzipped (digicap.dav) or you can rename them so you know what they are - G3.dav, 4.31.dav, 4.32.dav, 4.71.dav

If I'm keeping files I'll unzip, then rename - "G3_5.5.800_210628.dav" for example. I keep them as I'm updating customers systems and like to have previous versions to hand.

Upvote 0
The gods only know, I got them in the end so all is good :) I've made a note to use Edge when downloading them.

Understood, one last question, do I update the NVR then the cameras, or cameras first? Or does it not matter?

I'll just keep the firmware packages for a while on my NAS :) Annoying that there is nothing that alerts oy that new firmware is available.

Upvote 0
The gods only know, I got them in the end so all is good :) I've made a note to use Edge when downloading them.

Understood, one last question, do I update the NVR then the cameras, or cameras first? Or does it not matter?

I'll just keep the firmware packages for a while on my NAS :) Annoying that there is nothing that alerts oy that new firmware is available.
It doesn't matter which you do first. As it's your first time I'd probably do your cameras one at a time with 5.5.800. Then do the NVR. After each update on the NVR, delete your browser history and navigate back to the NVR homepage.

Regarding firmware update notifications. Always ignore anything in the NVR that says 'up to date' or 'no update available' - those messages do not work. A couple of users on here, myself included, post if we see a new update.

Upvote 0
Okay I'm good to go then as soon as I can free up some time.....

Right it was those firmware notifications I'd been monitoring. Seems like I need to be a regular visitor on here then :)

Upvote 0
For your NVR navigate to Product Firmware > Hikvision > 04 Back Ends > 02 K Series > [76 77 86 NI-K] > [76 77 86 NI-K2 K4 K8]
You are a few versions back so will want to step through one of each revision - the first 4.31.xxx, the first 4.32.xxx, before finally updating to the newest (4.71.005).
I didn't know you needed to do this, I've always just installed the latest version!

Upvote 0
Back