01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help With moving my IP cameras from my NVR to a POE Switch?

gp116126

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Good Evening

I have a 7608p NVR and 7 poe cams.

Cams are currently connected directly to the NVR ports and the NVR is connected to my router. All works good HIK Connect, etc.

I'm looking to alter the connection so that cameras are connected into a POE switch, POE switch is connected to NVR but to maintain connection to router so that still can use HIK Connect and occasionally log into a browser to access CAMs and NVR.

I acquired a POE switch some time ago

Link to Switch Spec

Could someone tell me if that switch will do what i want.

If not why and what else i would need.

if it can then some guidance on process to set it up would be appreciated. I understand that i would have to reassign IP addresses of cams but not sure of sequencing and of what to connect where on router.

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello David

5 of 4mp G0s, 1 6mp G1 and 1 of 8mp G2(c).

I realise the switch may struggle with the bandwidth with all cams working but I'll give it a go.

My lack of knowledge and understanding is with process and connections for setting this up rather than the settings (other than anything to do with network settings) for cameras, etc.

Cheers

Hi @gp116126

Is there a particular reason you need to connect the separate PoE switch to the NVR?

Usually, when users are connecting their cameras to a separate PoE switch they connect that switch to their router and connect the NVR to the router as well, they can then add the cameras over the local network to the NVR.

5 of 4mp G0s, 1 6mp G1 and 1 of 8mp G2(c).
That switch has a PoE power budget of 92W, have you allowed for the PoE power consumption of the existing cameras and future expansion?

David

Hi @gp116126

Is there a particular reason you need to connect the separate PoE switch to the NVR?

Usually, when users are connecting their cameras to a separate PoE switch they connect that switch to their router and connect the NVR to the router as well, they can then add the cameras over the local network to the NVR.
Hello Dan

I think you hit the nail on the head, I just didn't understand what connects to what and presumed it's the way I described it. know.

The reason for having the switch is the usual too many cables go into the nvr, making it a bit more tidy and allowing me to move the nvr around easier as then I've only got to alter one cable connection to, what I thought was the switch but now understand is my router. So you've actually solved my conundrum to a large degree.

I now just need to understand how to actually do it from a process and settings perspective.

That switch has a PoE power budget of 92W, have you allowed for the PoE power consumption of the existing cameras and future expansion?

David
Hello David

No I haven't really considered that but can see it might be an issue. I'll have a look at what power usage I've got at the moment.

I didn't purchase the switch, it was given to me so it's not a loss if it's not going to be any good.

Cheers

Hello David

No I haven't really considered that but can see it might be an issue. I'll have a look at what power usage I've got at the moment.

I didn't purchase the switch, it was given to me so it's not a loss if it's not going to be any good.

Cheers
All 7 cams using between 3 and 4 watts each therefore the switch is easily capable of dealing them plus more.

Back