01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision Accusense not effective

You can access the individual settings of each camera with Virtual Host and set AcuSense features, but these won't be passed over/accessible on the K-series NVR.

When logged in directly to the cameras you cannot access the recording on the NVR, so the only way to record with the AcuSense features when using a K-series NVR would be to also have a MicroSD card fitted to manage the AcuSense recodings.

If you want an NVR to manage the AcuSense features then you will need to upgrade to an I-series NVR - DS-7608NI-I2/8P
I also have an acusense camera with K series NVR.
To reduce false alarms by animals, will it work if I enhance the event settings in my camera by introducing min size, and setting the target validity to highest . Will it help or as long as the NVR is K series, I will be getting these false alarm and I upgrade to I series??
Also, how much of false alarm reduction will be done by the I series? Will the animal trigger go away 100% ??

I also have an acusense camera with K series NVR.
To reduce false alarms by animals, will it work if I enhance the event settings in my camera by introducing min size, and setting the target validity to highest . Will it help or as long as the NVR is K series, I will be getting these false alarm and I upgrade to I series??
Also, how much of false alarm reduction will be done by the I series? Will the animal trigger go away 100% ??
Yes you can enter the additional settings that aren’t available in the NVR menu directly in the camera. Min/max size, target validity etc are not available for motion detection, only line crossing, intrusion and other smart events. I would imagine most false alerts from animal triggers etc are caused by reliance on motion detection rather than line crossing, intrusion.

The AcuSense false alarm filtering is carried out by the camera. Changing a K series to an I series will therefore make no difference whatsoever as the camera does the processing. There are specific models of AcuSense NVR available, however these are for use with non AcuSense cameras and are restrictive regarding the number and resolution of cameras connected.

Last edited:
Thank you again this thread is an example as to why this forum is absolutely fantastic.

The level of technical information available from experts like JB and of course Dan and the other members of use-ip is invaluable, especially when most of the stuff coming out of Hikvision is parrot English and needs a lot of translation.

Hi all,
First i must thank you, this post led me to realise i was sent a K series NVR and not what i ordered. I now have an I series DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P and upgraded to the latest firmware (V4.51.025 build 210927). However, i still can't see target validity in the NVR menu - only the camera web menu. Am i doing something wrong?

Hi all,
First i must thank you, this post led me to realise i was sent a K series NVR and not what i ordered. I now have an I series DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P and upgraded to the latest firmware (V4.51.025 build 210927). However, i still can't see target validity in the NVR menu - only the camera web menu. Am i doing something wrong?
No that's normal and correct. The NVR can connect to a multitude of camera models with different features, so I guess it's not realistic for them (Hikvision) to make all camera settings available via the NVR interface - it would become very cluttered. Also some settings (target validity being one) were not available on the camera at release, it was added via firmware update later. As I always say - program everything that you can via the NVR menu and then what you can't (where applicable) via the camera menu.

You can access the individual settings of each camera with Virtual Host and set AcuSense features, but these won't be passed over/accessible on the K-series NVR.

When logged in directly to the cameras you cannot access the recording on the NVR, so the only way to record with the AcuSense features when using a K-series NVR would be to also have a MicroSD card fitted to manage the AcuSense recodings.

If you want an NVR to manage the AcuSense features then you will need to upgrade to an I-series NVR - DS-7608NI-I2/8P

Ah ok I think it was this that confused me then. So it sounds like I still need to configure smart events via the cameras, but my I series will record it as an event?

Ah ok I think it was this that confused me then. So it sounds like I still need to configure smart events via the cameras, but my I series will record it as an event?
You just configure it all as normal via the NVR. Once that’s complete log into the camera and change ONLY the setting that wasn’t available via the NVR interface (which will be the target validity) nothing else.

The camera settings that are programmed via the NVR are saved on the camera itself NOT the NVR. If you were to set everything directly on the camera, then the information in the menu on the NVR will not refresh/update until reboot and so may not reflect actually settings.

Last edited:
Yes you can enter the additional settings that aren’t available in the NVR menu directly in the camera. Min/max size, target validity etc are not available for motion detection, only line crossing, intrusion and other smart events. I would imagine most false alerts from animal triggers etc are caused by reliance on motion detection rather than line crossing, intrusion.

The AcuSense false alarm filtering is carried out by the camera. Changing a K series to an I series will therefore make no difference whatsoever as the camera does the processing. There are specific models of AcuSense NVR available, however these are for use with non AcuSense cameras and are restrictive regarding the number and resolution of cameras connected.

Hmmm, it seems the acusense cameras are not that great in differentiating between animals and humans as marketed by HikVision.

I get lot of false “intrusion” alarms triggered by cats and possums at Night. Attached one video - where the camera thinks the possum as a Human

I tried introducing min size and target validity in the cameras, but still I am getting the false alarms.

The thing with min size is that depending on where the animal is in the camera frame, it might be bigger than the min size.

I can’t make the min size too big, as then the humans at the farthest point becomes smaller than the min size and bypass the alarm.

Looks like all this human detection is basically based out of motion detector and not some AI based deep learning as HikVision advertised

Attachments

• F972AEC9-D741-408D-852E-8F9E44CC9117.jpeg
    F972AEC9-D741-408D-852E-8F9E44CC9117.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 243

Hi Dan,

There also seems to be an I series DS- 7608NI- I2 which supports 8 channels but doesn't have the POE interface. Can this do the same job using a Value series switch? My NVR is not near the cluster of cameras so I would prefer to have the switch closer to the cameras (and run a single cable off the non-POE NVR)... Thanks for the great videos.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Hi Dan,

There also seems to be an I series DS- 7608NI- I2 which supports 8 channels but doesn't have the POE interface. Can this do the same job using a Value series switch? My NVR is not near the cluster of cameras so I would prefer to have the switch closer to the cameras (and run a single cable off the non-POE NVR)... Thanks for the great videos.

Thanks for all the helpful info!
I'll add my advice if that's ok....The non POE 7608 only has one network interface. You would just connect your switch to your router and add all of the cameras to that switch. The cameras would then be added to the NVR using their IP address on your LAN. That is fine but it puts all of your cameras directly on your local network so there will be a lot of additional traffic going through the router. If the NVR was fully populated that could be 8 cameras running at 25 fps with a bit rate of maybe 8Mbps. The 77xx series has 2 network ports. That would allow you to connect one network port to your LAN for the internet connection and the other would be connected to your switch using a different network address. That keeps all of the traffic from the cameras segregated from your local network.

Paà
I'll add my advice if that's ok....The non POE 7608 only has one network interface. You would just connect your switch to your router and add all of the cameras to that switch. The cameras would then be added to the NVR using their IP address on your LAN. That is fine but it puts all of your cameras directly on your local network so there will be a lot of additional traffic going through the router. If the NVR was fully populated that could be 8 cameras running at 25 fps with a bit rate of maybe 8Mbps. The 77xx series has 2 network ports. That would allow you to connect one network port to your LAN for the internet connection and the other would be connected to your switch using a different network address. That keeps all of the traffic from the cameras segregated from your local network.

Hi JB,

That is extremely helpful info and saves me from making a costly mistake. I've also been told that the alarm and strobe light may not work.

Will the POE version (DS 7608ni i2/8p) be also advisable despite the increased cabling?

Thank you,
Adrian

Paà

Hi JB,

That is extremely helpful info and saves me from making a costly mistake. I've also been told that the alarm and strobe light may not work.

Will the POE version (DS 7608ni i2/8p) be also advisable despite the increased cabling?

Thank you,
Adrian
Yes the main benefit of the /xP models is that the PoE ports have their own separated network so you cannot access the cameras directly from the main network - the cameras can be accessed over the network but only via the NVR IP address using the virtual host feature.

What I said earlier about all of the CCTV traffic going through the router would only be completely true if your non /P NVR connected directly to the router and your switch for the cameras also connected to the router on another port. Of course, if the router connected to your switch, then all of the cameras AND your non /P NVR connected to that switch then little would go through the router. However it's always beneficial to keep the cameras traffic separate as any broadcast traffic will go to every port.

Yes the main benefit of the /xP models is that the PoE ports have their own separated network so you cannot access the cameras directly from the main network - the cameras can be accessed over the network but only via the NVR IP address using the virtual host feature.

What I said earlier about all of the CCTV traffic going through the router would only be completely true if your non /P NVR connected directly to the router and your switch for the cameras also connected to the router on another port. Of course, if the router connected to your switch, then all of the cameras AND your non /P NVR connected to that switch then little would go through the router. However it's always beneficial to keep the cameras traffic separate as any broadcast traffic will go to every port.
Thanks again JB! I am new to this and am paranoid of buying the wrong equipment. It does seem like the DS 7608ni i2/8p is a safe option.

I am also concerned about losing features like the alarm on acusense cameras. Will the advanced pro series switches help in any way?

Thanks again JB! I am new to this and am paranoid of buying the wrong equipment. It does seem like the DS 7608ni i2/8p is a safe option.

I am also concerned about losing features like the alarm on acusense cameras. Will the advanced pro series switches help in any way?
I'm not aware of any issues with the alarms on AcuSense cameras. However the cameras are connected whether through the NVR PoE ports directly, or if they are connected to the LAN - once added to the NVR, they should be configurable from the NVR without issue. The I series model that you detail is a good option and is what I have (though I have the 16 channel model). If having the cameras connected to a remote switch was a MUST have, I'd use the 7716 with one network port connected to the router and the other to the remote PoE camera switch. However the 7716 comes at a price premium and is a a bit of a beast with room for 4 hard disks and is noisier in use.

Reactions: Dan
I'm not aware of any issues with the alarms on AcuSense cameras. However the cameras are connected whether through the NVR PoE ports directly, or if they are connected to the LAN - once added to the NVR, they should be configurable from the NVR without issue. The I series model that you detail is a good option and is what I have (though I have the 16 channel model). If having the cameras connected to a remote switch was a MUST have, I'd use the 7716 with one network port connected to the router and the other to the remote PoE camera switch. However the 7716 comes at a price premium and is a a bit of a beast with room for 4 hard disks and is noisier in use.
Thanks for clarifying. I think I'll go with the extra cabling and stick with the POE model.
Apparently, the alarm issue comes up if I use the value series switch. Anyway, I can't risk getting it wrong with the theft issues I've had. Perhaps the pro series switch is needed?

Thanks for the explanation. There doesn't seem to be much info online. And with acusense, there's a lot of confusion/ complaints online.

Sorry for the thread bill but I’m a bit confused. Can’t I just setup and use acusense all through the settings in the NVR only?

Or are you saying I need to log into each camera for the acusense to work? At the moment I’ve just configured it by the NVR and assume that it was working?

Thanks

Hi @Ultra4

The core AcuSense configuration can be done within the NVR settings, but what was discussed above is that there are some camera-specific settings that may need to be adjusted and these can only be adjusted by logging into the cameras directly.

Hi @Ultra4

The core AcuSense configuration can be done within the NVR settings, but what was discussed above is that there are some camera-specific settings that may need to be adjusted and these can only be adjusted by logging into the cameras directly.

Hi,

Is there a manual of what might need to be adjusted? At the moment I've just done everything through the NVR (hdmi and mouse set up) but am I missing something substantial by not configuring the cameras? Sorry just a bit confused and don't want to have missed something important.

If you have set it up in the NVR settings, tested it, and everything is working then you shouldn't need to adjust anything in the camera settings.

If you want to double-check you can always just login to one of the cameras you have set up and check to see if there are any event settings (like target validity mentioned earlier in the thread) that are not available from the NVR settings.

Back